Texas Fishing Forum

What hat do you wear fishing?

Posted By: Gamblingman

What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/13/17 09:41 PM

I got burned up last week fishing and now I am thinking I want a booney hat. I am thinking I want the Simms Solar Sombrero.
If someone has a cheaper hat that they love I would like to know about it. I am just not wanting one with a floppy brim.

Paul
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/13/17 09:50 PM

I've got a Tilley hat that I wear when fishing, but I've been thinking about getting something a little cooler for the eight months of summer we have down here. The North Face Shadowcaster looks like it might work. UPF rating of 50.
Posted By: ezduzit

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/13/17 10:17 PM

I just put on a neck/face protector, polarized sunglasses and a comfortable baseball hat with a mesh back so it breathes good. I pull the neck protector up over my ears and nose. You'll find what you like best through trial and error. I shoot for easy and comfortable. I used to just wear a "landscaper hat" as my brother calls them, but i got to liking the idea of keeping the sun off of me pretty much 100%
Posted By: RexW

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/13/17 10:26 PM

I have Tilley also. They are not cheap and they are kind of goofy looking, but I was surprised by how comfortable and effective they are. They do have a soft brim, but mine holds its shape well and does not flop around.

However, I definitely recommend one of the styles that has mesh in the crown for use around here.

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/13/17 11:03 PM

Those Tilley hats look great but wow they are over twice the price of the Simms.
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/14/17 01:43 AM

I like my Tilley camo hat but like someone else stated it is too hot for me in the summer. I have a Salt Life camo booney hat that I work in everyday and also wear fishing when it is too hot for the Tilley.
Posted By: RexW

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/14/17 01:44 AM

Agreed, they are expensive. I got lucky and found mine in a fly shop's clearance section several years ago.
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/14/17 02:03 AM

I got one of these a couple of moths ago and like it.
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Aussie-Crushable-Breezer-Hat-with-Leather-Band/product/183073/
Posted By: oldnslowfisherman

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/14/17 04:51 PM

This
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/14/17 05:51 PM

x2 on wearing a buff and a mesh back baseball cap. I tried wearing hats with brims but if there's any wind the brim kept flopping around and sometimes the brim would stay bent leaving my neck exposed. The buffs stay put, cover everything and even keep out mosquitos. Plus, you look like an uber-cool fishing ninja while wearing one.
Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/15/17 03:14 PM

I have a boony hat, I think it's made by Outdoor Research. The op is mesh ventilated and overall its pretty lightweight. I usually have buff around my neck just worn sort of loosely to keep the sun off the back of my neck in the summer and for warmth in the winter . When it gets really hot and sunny I add a Simms face gator. It's very light and stays in place.
Posted By: pearow

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/15/17 04:27 PM

I like caps but the sun is mean in the summer. I took an old cap, tore the bill off and glued it to a boony hat. Now I have my ears and neck protected by the boony that has the feel of a cap-p-
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/17/17 01:16 AM

Haaatss? We don need no stinkin hats! But if we ded have a hat ...
Posted By: mickfly

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/18/17 06:33 PM

I've had good luck with a hat Cabela's sells, the Stetson Airway Breezer:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/mens-casual-clothing/mens-headwear/mens-brimmed-hats|/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/104448780/i/104006880/stetson-reg-mens-airway-breezer-hat/750877.uts

It served me well on a trip to Belize (though it got a bit smashed in the overhead on the way home) and recently on a midday carp excursion on a hot and breezy day. Cabela's also sells a similar one that's a bit cheaper.
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/18/17 07:40 PM

https://www.filson.com/men/accessories/hats-and-caps/original-hat-shelter-cloth.html#196
Posted By: SightCastFishing

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/18/17 08:10 PM

Got to agree with the trucker hat + buff combo. That's my go to.
Posted By: Riverdog

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/18/17 08:29 PM

One that fits and keeps the sun off my head.

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/21/17 08:03 PM

Better hurry on those Filsons. I have three and two aren't made anymore. Looks like they are about to stop making, or change, these tin cloth hats. That said, they are blazing hot for summer and if left in the heat, they will shrink. They're the best umbrella you will ever have in the rain, and can keep your head warm in the cold.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/26/17 04:46 PM

I have owned several Tilley hats, and loved each of them. The lifetime guarantee against loss is definitely nice. I have a light model that works well here during our hot summers....well, as well as anything can.
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/26/17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: texasflycaster
They're the best umbrella you will ever have in the rain, and can keep your head warm in the cold.

10-4 on that.

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/27/17 10:12 PM

Sun Body Hats in Houston is my favorite "go to" hat actually. I should have already painted the bottom of the brim black on this one, but that just gets too much attention!

Re: What hat do you wear fishing? - 07/28/17 07:24 PM

Got this for $5 at Walmart today.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum