Texas Fishing Forum

Do furled leaders improve bass bug fishing?

Posted By: 2dogkayak

Do furled leaders improve bass bug fishing? - 06/28/17 06:54 PM

I have been using tapered mono.

Bill
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Do furled leaders improve bass bug fishing? - 06/28/17 07:09 PM

Furled leaders were originally developed to improve presentation of small dry flies
Micropatterns: Tying and Fishing the Small Fly
The benefit with big old bass bugs might not be as marked
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Do furled leaders improve bass bug fishing? - 06/28/17 07:53 PM

If you want to improve leader performance with big wind resistant bugs, use a shorter, heavier leader. Six feet of straight 10lb mono works well for me. It will keep the fly from spinning too much as you cast it and help turn bigger flies over. But you will lose a bit of accuracy and finesse compared with a tapered leader.
Posted By: Stan Wright

Re: Do furled leaders improve bass bug fishing? - 07/04/17 05:11 PM

I love ferreted leaders... I use them under all sorts of fishing, from saltwater to lakes to trout streams. For my Tenkara Rods, I use a 12 foot ferreted leader as my fly line. Unless you make your own, they can be expensive.

This is how I teach fly casting to the Boy Scouts. We use the TFO "Scout" rods. It's an 8'6", 5 wt rod with a WF-5-F line. I use a 6 foot piece of 15 or 20 pound test fluorocarbon as the leader. It turns over a big fly well, and we don't get as many wind knots in the leader. ( with 20lb leader the wind knots are easier to untie too. LOL ) The big flys are just right for "hooking" the Back Yard Bass we use as targets. I still use a straight piece of 5 or 6 foot straight mono because it works well for big flys and bass bugs, Most peacock and largemouth are not that leader shy. So it works fine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum