Texas Fishing Forum

Rocky Mountain Fishing

Posted By: 68camino

Rocky Mountain Fishing - 06/08/17 10:41 PM

Hey guys! I will be in Estes Park for the next few days. Looking to get into some trout in the area. We will be going into Rocky Mountain National Park. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: RexW

Re: Rocky Mountain Fishing - 06/08/17 11:03 PM

There was a detailed discussion about fishing locations in the park and around Estes Park a while back. Use Google's advance search feature on this forum's address for "Rocky Mountain Park". There's a lot of good information already posted in the Fly Fishing section. It helped me when I visited the park. The key will be to find it.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Rocky Mountain Fishing - 06/09/17 04:12 PM

Rough everywhere from what I hear. Couple of roads closed in that area. Creeks and rivers are in runoff.
Posted By: oldnslowfisherman

Re: Rocky Mountain Fishing - 06/09/17 07:03 PM

Go to Kirks fly shop in town and talk to them
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Rocky Mountain Fishing - 06/09/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: RexW
There was a detailed discussion about fishing locations in the park and around Estes Park a while back. Use Google's advance search feature on this forum's address for "Rocky Mountain Park". There's a lot of good information already posted in the Fly Fishing section. It helped me when I visited the park. The key will be to find it.

Was it this thread?
Posted By: RexW

Re: Rocky Mountain Fishing - 06/11/17 06:59 PM

Yes, that is one of them and there are a couple more out there somewhere too.

Not sure if your trip has already happened, but here a few more comments. Kirk's fly shop is located on main street and would be the place for current info. The book "A Fly Fishing Guide to Rocky Mountain National Park" by Schweitzer is a good reference book. A few general (and usually popular) fishing locations with easy access include; the city park in Estes Park to fish the dam's tailwater, anywhere down stream of the dam on the Thompson River, and in the park, the Moraine Park area, the river that runs along side the Fern Lake trail, and on the west side of the park, the Colorado River parallel's the road and has significantly smaller crowds.

Good luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum