Texas Fishing Forum

First Bass

Posted By: formula462

First Bass - 02/22/15 01:38 AM

Took my newly purchased bass flies and went to the cabin with a couple buds today and while they went conventional I did it with the fly. My best was a 3 lbr and it was way more fun than just cranking it in with a bass rod. I hung with them and caught just as many and they asked me if I was going weird on them. Ted did get the biggest which went about 7lb. but I think I had the most fun. Didn't have my camera so no piks and I lost a couple of the flies on breakoffs so will have to pick up some more and be ready for spring!
And I definitely need a better rod/reel setup.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: First Bass - 02/22/15 01:44 AM

Congrats!!! Welcome to the addiction.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: First Bass - 02/22/15 01:57 AM

Congrats. I can't explain it but for some reason it's just more fun with a fly rod.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: First Bass - 02/22/15 02:07 AM

Congrats!
To paraphrase Gierach: " a fifteen inch fish caught on a fly rod is three inches bigger than a fifteen inch fish caught on anything else".
Posted By: moonriver

Re: First Bass - 02/22/15 03:06 AM

Congrats.

You are half way to the addiction. When you start to tie your own flies, and catch bass with the flies you tied, there will be no return. grin
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: First Bass - 02/22/15 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: FWBanger
Congrats. I can't explain it but for some reason it's just more fun with a fly rod.

Amen
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: First Bass - 02/24/15 02:22 PM

Congrats catching your first bass on the fly! Good job. cheers

Side Note: First of many more to follow. hooked
Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: First Bass - 02/24/15 04:17 PM

+1
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: First Bass - 02/24/15 04:25 PM

If you can find the right fly you can out fish your buddies with conventional gear. I love doing that!! Talk about red faces. smile
Posted By: formula462

Re: First Bass - 02/24/15 11:38 PM

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/stuff/201...0wGCeK6f3sgNStg
I was using black/blue rabbit hair and was doing well until it got broke off then I went to the chartreuse/white and caught crappie and bass. Can't wait to try the firetiger
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: First Bass - 02/25/15 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: formula462
...And I definitely need a better rod/reel setup.

That, friend, is a constant! lol
Posted By: Capt. Brendan

Re: First Bass - 02/26/15 04:53 AM

Congrats on your first fish and welcome to the club!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum