Texas Fishing Forum

rod build - finally finished

Posted By: Erichugh22

rod build - finally finished - 02/15/15 07:14 PM

I did my first practice wrap to test the colors. I think the blue with silver matches the rod pretty well. The writing on the blank is also silver.

Posted By: Dtheg

Re: rod build update - 02/15/15 10:30 PM

If you can test the the epoxy or if using cp test it. It will darken the colors. If those are Metallic threads pack them tight. Any gaps will show under epoxy.
Posted By: Dtheg

Re: rod build update - 02/15/15 10:33 PM

Before and after.

Re: rod build update - 02/15/15 10:55 PM

I was thinking about using an old black carbon arrow I had to test the wraps with epoxy since I don't have an old blank to use, I'm also still waiting on my drying motor to come in as well as my epoxy. This was mostly just a practice run at wrapping since I have never done it before.
Posted By: bigjhoov

Re: rod build update - 02/16/15 03:14 AM

Unless it's NCP thread, you should just be able to wet it and see what it will look like with epoxy applied. I usually just lick it, lol.

Better get rid of those stray threads too, they'll become real noticeable with epoxy applied. You can usually just wave a lighter close to them.

Re: rod build update - 02/17/15 09:53 PM

Got started on the grip Today. All the cork rings are glued together and getting ready to go on the lathe for sanding. The recess for the reel seat was a pain but I finally got it.

Re: rod build update - 02/18/15 01:15 AM

Completed the grip. It's not perfect but I'm happy with it since it's my first one.

Re: rod build update (grip) - 02/18/15 03:53 PM

Got a little more done this morning. Made the fighting butt, attached it and the reel seat to the blank

Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: rod build update (grip) - 02/19/15 06:19 AM

Looking great! You know I have replaced and added guides to rods and I would much rather build my own Rod than tie flies I have very little free time and I had a choice to either fish or Tie flys I fish every time LOL. Looks like your doing great look forward to the finished product.

Re: rod build - finally finished - 02/19/15 07:45 PM

Here's the finished product. Everything went way easier than I expected it to. There's a few minor imperfections but I'm happy with it. Can't wait to start the next one

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum