Texas Fishing Forum

fly rod difference

Posted By: formula462

fly rod difference - 02/01/15 01:36 AM

I guess the rod if its a better quality i.e. more expensive has affects(sp) on the casting right? I've been practicing with my cheap?Phluegar 5wt.and while I do ok with it it seems that when I took casting lessons from Steven at Backwoods I did a lot better with his. So what should I upgrade to? I would be willing to spend 200.00-250.00 on a better setup if it would improve my cast. I also want to striper fish so entirely different setup or is there a good rod/reel that can do it all?
Posted By: keebranch

Re: fly rod difference - 02/01/15 03:10 AM

TFO pro II costs $160 and TFO BVK $220-225. As your casting improves, the BVK will become noticeably better in your hands. Up until that point the pro can work fine.
Stephen carries both at Backwoods.

Les
Posted By: RexW

Re: fly rod difference - 02/01/15 03:19 AM

Sierra Trading Post has a good deal right now. They are showing these rods to be on sale tonight for $84.62. The TFO Chronicle Series rods cast similar to the TFO Pro.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/temple-fork-outfitters-fly-rod-chronicles-series-fly-fishing-rod-4-piece~p~8527a/?filterString=newproducts~21%2Fsports-and-outdoors~d~4868%2Foutdoor-gear~d~2%2Ffishing~d~14%2F&colorFamily=99

(Not sure why it won't post as a link, but cut and paste it and it seems to work.)

Re: fly rod difference - 02/01/15 04:40 PM

thanks ill take a look
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: fly rod difference - 02/01/15 08:07 PM

I don't think tfo can be beat right now for the price and warranty.
Posted By: zulo

Re: fly rod difference - 02/01/15 08:30 PM

I will use a eight weight for Striper fishing.. If you are planning to buy a new rod, test ride then decide.. TFO BVK and Mangrove are goods rods for saltwater and fresh water fishing and they have great warranty ..Always invest in saltwater reels for eight weight rod if you are planning to go to the coast .

You may start with a six or eight.. Both will do the job..
Posted By: mmendez1

Re: fly rod difference - 02/01/15 09:40 PM

Tell Stephen what your price range is and ask him to take you to cast 2-3 different rods. Then choose the one that feels the best. I have always been happy when buying rods that I have thrown before. Not as much with ones that I had not. It might be a couple of more bucks than buying online, but if you use it 10 times, you are probably only talking a couple of extra bucks each trip. And it is always just that much better of a day on the water to fish with a rod you are happy with!
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: fly rod difference - 02/02/15 01:08 AM

honestly - the rod is one thing but you can NOT go cheap on fly line. the difference between a 19.99 store brand line and a 40 dollar name brand line is HUGE. check the cave at cabbalas in Ft. Worth for a good deal on premium fly lines.

Re: fly rod difference - 02/02/15 06:12 AM

Thanks for the input will go to Backwoods Monday
Posted By: Dtheg

Re: fly rod difference - 02/09/15 02:29 PM

Good rod I like tfo (warranty and quality JMHO) and second the line quality issue. Get a decent rod, cheaper reel, and the best line you can. Line will improve you the most. Taken care of the line will last long time. If going to do serious salt buy a reel for it. If just going to few days take everything apart and wash the salt and sand out.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: fly rod difference - 02/09/15 04:35 PM

Lots good advise.
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: fly rod difference - 02/09/15 05:06 PM

i would try out different rods out especially mid flex and tip flex. see which ones feel more comfortable with.

+1 on spend the money on fly line. i chose one with welded loop .

i perfer tfo rods as they are local to me in dallas
Posted By: LostDakotan

Re: fly rod difference - 02/15/15 03:03 AM

Your budget was about similar to mine. The TFO is a good choice and it is warrantied, however there other options I would explore first. Look for used rods in classified from various boards and online. Check the retail stores online for sales, like Bass Pro or Cabelas because those will usually combo the package with line too. If you are at a store, ask to cast the rods outside. I used to even give people free lessons if work was slow. My favorite rod company is St. Croix because their customer service has been good to me. The TFO is a fine choice, but I remember them feeling a bit too bulky for me. Perhaps they have improved since then.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum