Texas Fishing Forum

New PB at Lavon Lake

Posted By: MR2 David

New PB at Lavon Lake - 05/27/14 06:18 PM

Just want to say thanks to Tarponfly for teaching me the way of the fly rod, personal best drum at 18.3 inches and 4.8lbs. Was going to submit for the lake fly rod record (no current record for fly rod so i would have been a shoe-in for it) for drum but my father chopped off the head for soup before i could take pictures with the scale.

Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: New PB at Lavon Lake - 05/27/14 06:22 PM

nice drum!

Re: New PB at Lavon Lake - 05/27/14 06:25 PM

Thanks! loads of fun on 5 wt rod
Posted By: moonriver

Re: New PB at Lavon Lake - 05/28/14 01:32 AM

Hahaha, your father is way too hungry to wait.

What weight of line and rod do you use? What kind of fly did you use? is it near dear? Hahaha, i need to catch up with carey, hope He can teach me some tricks.

Re: New PB at Lavon Lake - 05/28/14 04:56 AM

Used a 1/60 jig on a 5 wt Cabela's stoaway 9 ft rod with 4 lb vanish. Let the 6 ft lead just sink and retrieved moderately or in Carey's words "as fast a fish would"
Posted By: moonriver

Re: New PB at Lavon Lake - 05/28/14 01:48 PM

thanks my friend.

Originally Posted By: MR2 David
Used a 1/60 jig on a 5 wt Cabela's stoaway 9 ft rod with 4 lb vanish. Let the 6 ft lead just sink and retrieved moderately or in Carey's words "as fast a fish would"
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: New PB at Lavon Lake - 05/28/14 07:09 PM

thumb
Posted By: ccabal

Re: New PB at Lavon Lake - 05/30/14 07:57 PM

MR2 David,
Nice fish, I've caught a few drum the past few years on the fly rod, and am always real happy when I do. My best was around 7lbs at LLELA (below lake Lewisville) and I've also caught some at Ray Hubbard (by hwy 66 when there is water!) and also below the dam at Lavon (also when there is water). They are fun.
Have you caught any crappie or catfish by those rocks recently? This time of year at Lavon, cat-fishing on the fly is EXCELLENT. Especially by the dam. Problem is I cant get my boat in the water!! frown
-Christian

Posted By: TarponFly

Re: New PB at Lavon Lake - 06/02/14 02:46 PM

Nice fish man! Good job. Should have turned it in!
Posted By: Steve Zissou

Re: New PB at Lavon Lake - 06/03/14 01:02 AM

Nice fish, congrats! J.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum