Texas Fishing Forum

I'm new to fly fishing - help!

Posted By: novie132

I'm new to fly fishing - help! - 05/25/03 09:39 PM

Hi y'all. I just bought a fly rod (the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheap south bend 5 wt combo from Academy), and I want to know what to do next. I've messed around with casting it, with some success, and I just caught a mullet on it. That was so much fun I just *have* to get more into this fly fishing thing. If a little 12" mullet was that much fun, I can't imagine what a big ol' carp would be like!

Where do I go from here, now that I have a rod? I'll be targeting grass carp and mullet to start out, since the channelized bayou across the street from where I live is full of them. (I realize that grass carp may be a bit of a handful on a 5 wt for a newbie like me, but they're there, so what the heck)

Any books, tapes, or other resources y'all recommend? Any of you live in Houston and wanna teach me some tricks?
Posted By: Hack

Re: I'm new to fly fishing - help! - 05/26/03 03:47 AM

Novie-
Welcome to world of fly fishing. There are a lot of good resources online A good starting point is: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/
There are a lot of carp fishermen on the web. A search Yahoo will turn up enough info to make your head spin.
Also contact Bass Pro there. The one here in Dallas offers intro to fly fishing and casting classes at no cost.
Haskell
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: I'm new to fly fishing - help! - 05/26/03 04:28 AM

I can only second Hack and tell you to get onto Fly Anglers Online and get over to Bass Pro or wherever and get some lessons. Is there a Fly Fishing club there in the Houston area folks?

Well, also get out there and start fishing, find out what works and what does not. Then there will be a baseline to start from.

Mainly, have a blast!

------------------
RRhyne56, Flyfishing Warden
rrhyne56@attbi.com
Robins Custom Flies and Leaders
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum