Texas Fishing Forum

TFO Mangrove Series

Posted By: George Glazener

TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 01:21 PM

Has anyone tested this rod?
I was hoping to maybe see one at the Bass on the Fly tournament Saturday but my timing was bad.
Since I do mostly pond and steep bank fishing these days, I like the TFO "lifting power" performance designation.
Should be a perfect companion for my TFO MiniMag.

Everyone needs another fly rod anyway - just ordered one.
G/
Posted By: txkayaker

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 01:43 PM

There were 2 guys at the tournament that have the new Mangrove rods. I getting one next weekend at the Caddo Conclave. It was nice meeting you Saturday.

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 01:48 PM

Actually, Russell AKA (troutbum) had a mangrove, I wish we had known you wanted to try one, he would of gladly let you try it out.
Posted By: RexW

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 01:52 PM

George, I got to spend some time casting one, but I haven't fished one yet. It has a different "feel" than most TFO rods. The action is more a med-fast feel, but this rod has some power in it. I found that I could make some nice delicate presentation casts with it if I wanted to, but I also found that if I "floored it" (so to speak), that the rod came alive. It has some power in it and it is very capable of launching the line out there.

Flip Pallot helped design this rod and it is my understanding that he designed it to be the rod that he would want to have available to give to anyone that got in his boat to go fishing.

I thought it was a comfortable rod to cast and I think it will be a very versatile fishing rod. It will not be as stout as your Mini-Mag (but what else is?), but I do think it will perform very well as a bass rod at your ponds and I think it would be an excellent choice on Texoma. Overall, I liked it.

I'm looking forward to your first fishing report with it. smile

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 02:02 PM

Thanks guys - good info.

Originally Posted By: txkayaker
There were 2 guys at the tournament that have the new Mangrove rods. I getting one next weekend at the Caddo Conclave. It was nice meeting you Saturday.

Dale it was a lot of fun meeting in person my "virtual" friends! We had so many common interests that I missed asking you about the Mangrove.
Ted gave me a good Mangrove review is what turned me on.. smile
G/
Posted By: tly

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 07:09 PM

George are you getting a 6 or 7 wt?

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 08:11 PM

Taylor, you know me ....I'm a 5-7-9 wt guy... grin

cheers

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 08:23 PM

SO..... your one of the odd guys??? I'm getting an 7wt myself.
Posted By: mickfly

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 08:41 PM

Odd? Could be.

I think what George means is that if you give him a five weight rod, he'll put a seven weight line on it and if you give him a seven weight rod, he'll put a nine weight line on it.
Posted By: tly

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/13/13 10:12 PM

George wouldn't do that ! Lol
Posted By: Trout Bum

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/14/13 12:50 AM

george, wish i would have known, you could have casted mine. i love it. slow to load and really launches. i got the seven. and caught those bruisers on it saturday.

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/14/13 01:33 AM

Slow to load makes me flinch a bit but with my bad casting stroke it will likely adjust....I like the launch bit!
I like the TFO "lifting power" designation - thats what sold me.
Those bruisers you caught would have won the tournament....next year - right?
Thanks Russell.
G/
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/14/13 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: George Glazener
Slow to load makes me flinch a bit but with my bad casting stroke it will likely adjust....I like the launch bit!
I like the TFO "lifting power" designation - thats what sold me.
Those bruisers you caught would have won the tournament....next year - right?
Thanks Russell.
G/

It's like the most wonderful rods in the world "fiberglass"!!!
Slow to load is a great thing!!! drummer

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/14/13 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: mickfly
Odd? Could be.

I think what George means is that if you give him a five weight rod, he'll put a seven weight line on it and if you give him a seven weight rod, he'll put a nine weight line on it.
de

I get advice from two of my long time fly fishing friends..
You can take Rex W.’s advice to the bank…
Mick’s checks bounce…

rolfmao
Posted By: Imrowdy1

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/14/13 09:15 PM

Jim Bass allowed me to practice with his new Mangrove this past Saturday. It is a noticeably different feel and a delight to use. I'm thinking of getting one now if I can just figure out how to explain it to the Mrs.

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/17/13 12:11 AM

The guy in the brown truck just delivered my TFO Mangrove 7wt fly rod.
Took my reel off my BVK 7 wt loaded with WF-8-F and put it on the Mangrove - took it to the back yard - one flip cast, back cast, double haul and shoot to the creek.
Silky smooth - Sweet!

I'll put it thru it's paces in the morning...
Closest action comparison for me so far is to the MiniMag and that ain't bad!
We got us a "load and shoot" fly rod! cool
G/

ps: been playing with it today - loads deep into the blank - I really like the action.
I experimented with a Teeny 200 sinker - it's a winner.

Re: TFO Mangrove Series - 05/20/13 02:14 PM

Got my 8 wt Saturday, taking it to Lake O the Pines next weekend.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum