Texas Fishing Forum

Llano River CR103 Crossing

Posted By: 4stringer

Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/10/10 09:24 PM

Made my first trip to the Llano yesterday. Arrived at about 9:15 AM, scoped things out a bit and started fishing around 10:30. I had my float tube with me but I was eager to get in the water so I opted to wade. Nothing in the first hour and then, while getting ready to lift up for a new cast saw a flash in the water next to my black wooly bugger and as I tried to start my back cast realized there was a fish on. Turned out to be about a three pound catfish. Managed to catch a couple bass against one stretch of bank, 2 guads and a decent largemouth about a 1.5 pounds. (pics below). Waded back to the crossing and decided to try the moving water right below the crossing. Ended up nailing 3 more Guads which were fun in the fast water. Tried to take more pics but had trouble handling the camera, rod, and fish simultaneously. I release everything and don't want to stress them in this heat so if I don't get a good pic the first time I just turn em' loose.

[img]http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/jh1721/023.jpg?t=1281475165[/img]

[img]http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/jh1721/024.jpg?t=1281475165[/img]

Anyways, if you live in the Austin area I have to recommend this spot. Next time I'm launching the tube though and really stinging em!

Oh yeah there is pretty much NO shade so bring the sunscreen. I forgot mine and am paying for it.
Posted By: san antonio fj

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/10/10 10:12 PM

I have a place in fredericksburg and just found some good spots on the perdenales for small bass, carp and perch, I have been wanting to fish the llano around there. maybe we can meet up some time and trade some fishing holes. Im heading to Fburg aug 19-22 let me know if you want to fish
Posted By: Txredraider

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/11/10 01:34 AM

So is that east of Castell? That sounds like a really great trip.

JackMack and I were headed out there a couple of weeks ago, but I was told by a guide out that way that the river was low and choked with weeds. Did you find that to be the case?

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/11/10 01:40 AM

San Antone FJ,

Saw the photo of that carp you just posted. Wow! I've seen plenty of carp since I got back into fly fishing but have yet to land one (hooked a big one at 5 Mile Dam on the Blanco but ended up long distance releasing it due to a faulty knot). I really appreciate the offer to go check out the Pedernales but think I'm working that entire wkend. Morning of 22nd might be doable. Plus...I'm moving back to Washington State around Sept 5th, so these will be some of my last Hill Country excursions for a while.

If we can't make it happen on the 22nd. I'd be happy give you some detailed directions to that spot on the Llano (plus I have a few others I could pass along since I won't be able to fish them anymore).
Posted By: Jackmack65

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/11/10 01:40 AM

Y'know, one kind of gets the feeling the guide in question didn't want anyone fishing his beats.

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/11/10 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Jackmack65
Y'know, one kind of gets the feeling the guide in question didn't want anyone fishing his beats.

Yep.

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/11/10 01:53 AM

TXRR: The spot is indeed east of Castell. To access the spot head West on 29 out of Llano proper. CR 103 will be about 10 miles out of town on the left. It will bring you to low-water X-ing with decent parking if you arrive early. By the the time I left there were plenty of cars. I've heard CR102 (which is even closer to Llano)also has a low-water X-ing but a bit less parking.

As for being choked with weeds, in my extremely amateur analysis, I'd say that is not the case. And as for low...well the reason I mentioned wanting to have my float tube in first post is because I got really tired of stepping off sand bars into water chin deep which would have soaked my chest pack if I hadn't managed to lift it over my head as I lost my balance!

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/11/10 02:05 AM

That makes me a bit unhappy with that person.

Thanks for the great report. I hope you'll favor us with some from WA when you make it back up there.
Posted By: scooter aggie

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/11/10 02:27 AM

great report, purty guad bass too!
Posted By: san antonio fj

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/11/10 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: 4stringer
San Antone FJ,

Saw the photo of that carp you just posted. Wow! I've seen plenty of carp since I got back into fly fishing but have yet to land one (hooked a big one at 5 Mile Dam on the Blanco but ended up long distance releasing it due to a faulty knot). I really appreciate the offer to go check out the Pedernales but think I'm working that entire wkend. Morning of 22nd might be doable. Plus...I'm moving back to Washington State around Sept 5th, so these will be some of my last Hill Country excursions for a while.

If we can't make it happen on the 22nd. I'd be happy give you some detailed directions to that spot on the Llano (plus I have a few others I could pass along since I won't be able to fish them anymore).

I might head out there this weekend also, if not check out spot 14 on here http://www.texasflyfishing.com/rivers/pedernales.htm didnt really make it to the other spots on there but this was just a scouting trip. Ill PM you my # and if I go its, always good to have another person to help find the fish

Re: Llano River CR103 Crossing - 08/11/10 02:43 AM

I'll definitely check back in when I nail my first sea run cutthroat out in Puget Sound.

And I suppose you never know with guides until your money is in their pocket.

From my experience, on all the Hill Country rivers I've managed to fish this summer, the water levels are WAY up. I must add the disclaimer that I only got back into fly fishing last year and I can only compare river flows to what I saw then during extreme drought conditions. For instance this summer I can easily drive up the road and fish a few miles of Barton Creek; last summer there hardly was a Barton Creek. More like Barton Limestone Bed with 2-3 ft deep pools every 70-80 yards or so.

I say come down and fish guys.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum