Texas Fishing Forum

Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19

Posted By: RexW

Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/07/10 01:49 AM

Hello Everyone, the fly fishing event "Texoma on the Fly" will be held Saturday, June 19, at Eisenhower state park on the shores of Lake Texoma from 9:00 to 4;00. This is an invitation to come out and join us.

The event is sponsored by TP&W Eisenhower state park and the Red River Fly Fishers. The event includes casting lessons, fly tying, fly fishing classes, youth programs, TFO Flyrods plans to bring their demo rods, and other activities.

We plan to have formal casting classes in the morning from 9:00 to about 12:00. It can get too hot this time of year to ask anyone to stand out in the sun giving classes in the afternoon. So, we shift to informal individual casting help during the afternoon.

We will be offering additional youth opportunities this year. The TP&W youth fly fishing class will be offered and a catfish pond will be available to fish.

The event and the entrance to the park are free. Just tell the gate that you are there for the fishing event. Fishing from within the park is also free.

I recommend coming early if you can to beat the heat.

Directions to Eisenhower State Park: From TX Highway 75 north of Denison, TX. Take Exit # 72 west toward the Denison Dam. The store “Dave’s Ski and Tackle” is located on this corner. At the edge of the Texas side of the Denison Dam, turn left onto 1310. Follow 1310 to the park entrance.

We hope you’ll come out and join us.

For the Red River Fly Fishers,
Rex

Posted By: TarponFly

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/07/10 07:50 AM

Sounds like something i might like. after it, go to the dam and fish....
Posted By: SBridgess

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/07/10 09:55 AM

Will there be any guest speakers? Will the fish be biting? Topwater?

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/07/10 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: SBridgess
Will there be any guest speakers?

There will be fewer speakers this year than we've had in the past.

Will the fish be biting?

The fish are always biting at Texoma, but they may not be biting in the spot where you're fishing. grin

Topwater?

The Bluegill in the lake hit topwater throughout the summer. hooked

Rex

Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/07/10 11:29 AM

Will there be any guest speakers? Will the fish be biting? Topwater?

Actually, there won't be any speakers this year.
There will be casting instruction, fly tying (with lots of our TFF buddies tying this year), the TPWD Basic Fly Course for the kids, the catfish tank, and of course FREE LUNCH!!!

The fish will be biting. How well they will be biting is up to you Mr Bridgess (we voted!).

Topwater - I hope. I'm ready to catch some topwater fishies!!!
Posted By: Brimbum

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/07/10 11:43 AM

Sounds like foam spider time to me.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale
Posted By: Pondbass

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/07/10 11:53 AM

I was watching Sandbass blow up big time by Highport yesterday. big school, like wall of fish on the graph. I didnt get any and the fly I was using was tooo big. they're eating little baby gizzard shad. no stripers to speak of. hooked and lost about a 5lb drum and that's about it.
I want to go this year, but we might be planning a TX coast trip that week

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/07/10 09:23 PM

after the generators turn off (at the dam, arounnd 5 pmish), i have been getting a couple good 20's on topwater flies and streamers. i have been getting more on the fly than i have on bait. the big one are just not there yet. it does not look like they will show this year with out the gates on. but the dinks are always there.
Posted By: SBridgess

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/07/10 09:27 PM

The fish will be biting. How well they will be biting is up to you Mr Bridgess (we voted!).

I guess I'm going to be SOL, unless they let me hand fish in the catfish tank. woot

Those Sandies need to leave our gizzard spawn alone until the get big enough to feed the Stripers. Small Stripers and Sandbass have been blowing up in the backs of the coves. Feeding on 1/2 to 1 inch gizzards. (I think, don't believe we have any Threadfin this year.) I've been fishing the river ledges 30 to 50 ft. for good Stripers. Caught a 3/4 lb. catfish today that had been nailed by a big Striper. You could see the bite mark and where the teeth raked down his tail as the catfish escaped. Wicked!

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/08/10 01:21 AM

Feeding on 1/2 to 1 inch gizzards. (I think, don't believe we have any Threadfin this year.)

This is not good news.

Rex

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/08/10 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Brimbum
Sounds like foam spider time to me.

Yep, that's always a great fly.

Rex
Posted By: Clear Cure Goo

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/11/10 03:42 AM

Sounds like Ill be there....
Posted By: Jackmack65

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/12/10 03:11 PM

I'm going to bring my tube and put in at the Eisenhower Park boat ramp at about dawn, and tube around the cliffs and inlets for a couple hours before the show.

Would be delighted to meet some TFF members out there on the water.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/13/10 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Jackmack65
I'm going to bring my tube and put in at the Eisenhower Park boat ramp at about dawn, and tube around the cliffs and inlets for a couple hours before the show.

Would be delighted to meet some TFF members out there on the water.

I might just meet you there. I'm going up Thur so hopefully I won't catch them all before you get there. rolfmao
Posted By: David Cole

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/16/10 02:55 AM

When does the Gate open? 8:00 or earlier...if 8:00, I guess I'll feed the till to get a permit and launch my boat for 3-4 hours before the show starts...LOL.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/16/10 10:19 AM

They don't close the gate at Eisenhower.

Rex

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 02:10 AM

I guess the question should have been when does a person man the booth or the Park office? I'll just poke $5 in the box and fill out the form. No problem...

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 02:45 AM

David,
Nobody is in the office or the booth before 8.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 12:48 PM

David, I don't know the answer. Eisenhower is allowing free admission for the people attending the fishing event, but you do have to check in at the gate and get a pass given to you. I don't know how entrance will work for the people that arrive early in the morning. I'll try to get an answer.

Rex
Posted By: George Glazener

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: George Glazener
If you would like to learn to make and properly install braided loops, attend Texoma on the Fly this coming Saturday and Robin will teach you – OK Robin?

http://www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

Originally Posted By: Txredraider
I'll be interested to see how and if your technique differs from mine, Robin. I wonder if anyone would be willing to swap me some 35 lb braided line for some of the 50 lb I've got?

I'll throw that junk in with my other junk that I'm bringing.

George, are you coming up for this extravaganza?

TX, the Rev has twisted my arm to the point of dismemberment so I’ll be there short of any relapse - if my meds hold out.

The most productive Texoma striper flies that I use are the spinster and clouser in various colors and sizes.
I’ll bring my collection and maybe demo one if I am able – bad eyes and shaky fingers, so don’t look too closely at my work.

Will be just a short stay but anxious to see all my friends.

Posted By: Txredraider

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 01:45 PM

George, I'm looking forward to getting to shake your hand and meet you in person.
Posted By: 2721West

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 02:17 PM

My dad and I plan on coming up there tomorrow around 4-5. We would like to fish the river Friday night and possibly Saturday morning before the event.

Can anyone give us some hints?

We have tied about 20 different clousers each in different colors and sizes. We are going to be fishing with 6 wt and floating fly line. We will also have 14 lb mono.

Also I am guessing you don't need waders but if we walk into the water do we need to have OK fish licenses too?

Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 02:34 PM

To get in the water please do have an OK license. That being said, my experience has been to find the holes where the fish are holding.

There are a series of rocks near the Texas side. On the farther edges, out towards the main channel more or less, are likely places. Also pay attention to who is catching without crowding them smile

Be aware that there is a lot of terminal tackle out in the river: old mono, lures, hooks, rigs of various sorts. Not to freak you out, just pay attention and maybe take a neck knife or something in case it gets around your feet.
Posted By: Pondbass

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 02:52 PM

the one week I cant go! have fun guys!

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 02:54 PM

Well, you freaked me out.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 03:06 PM

Carry your knife in your teeth to look particularly scary and tough...

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 03:09 PM

YARRRR!

I suppose I'll have to wear my skull and crossed rods shirt that the Ministry of Silly Casts made for me too.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 04:00 PM

Is it worth the cash to get the 5 day OK license and wade? Will I need waders?

Also what is the regulations for fishing on Texoma. Do I need a texoma license? Or can I fish the banks of Texas no problem?

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 04:04 PM

Of course check with the TPWD and don't just take my word for it; but on the lake you can fish in the Texas part with a Texas license. So the shoreline and inlets are 100% cool. Getting out in a boat it's easy to drift over into foreign waters so a Texoma license is best for that; or else have both TX as well as OK.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 06:10 PM

Thanks for the help. I think Im going to to get the 5 day license. I hope to see you guys up there.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 08:30 PM

I'm here!!! banana
If those coming need directions or other help pertaining to the event email me RevTCF@gmail.com

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/17/10 09:43 PM

Another note: when they stop generating, and the water goes down, the rocks are slick as heck. be very carful and dont run around. like said before, there are many hazzards with line and old lures to tangle you in. ill prob show up early early morning like 2-3 AM and float in the one man pontoons.... dont hook me please.....

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/18/10 01:29 AM

FREE TFO FLY ROD!!

We have good news. The TP&W's Youth Fly Fishing Course will be offered this year and one of the participants will be taking home a brand new TFO Fly Rod!

Bring your children or grandkids, this is a very "kid friendly" event.

Rex

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/18/10 03:39 AM

Getting the Okie license is best...I've done it 2 years running...the the non-res price is going up in 2011 (but no trout stamp), but I ain't skeerd off...heck it's too much fun knowing I'm legal in two states...LOL

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/18/10 06:13 PM

I got the answer.

If you arrive before the gate opens at 8:00, you can go on in the park to fish. Then just swing by the gate after 8:00 and check in. If you get a note on your window, you can either take it to the gate/office and tell them you are there for the fly fishing event or you can give to Paul at the Rec Hall. They just need everyone to check in that attends the event because they need to keep records for the state.

Rex
Posted By: kelkay

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/18/10 07:31 PM

I will be heading out in a little while. See y'all tomorrow.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Saturday, June 19 - 06/19/10 02:34 AM

Were here. Actually got here at 5 today. Went down to the river and had no luck. I used all the colors of clouser I had and couldn't catch one. I wish we were staying one more night so I could try again. It was frustrating cause they were jumping all around us. I guess their smarter than those pond bass I'm used to.

Looking forward to learning some flies and fishing tomorrow.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum