Texas Fishing Forum

online bucktail supplier?

Posted By: deckhand*

online bucktail supplier? - 12/27/09 11:50 PM

Need a dependable bucktail supplier that offers more than the standard colors(ie. BPS&Cabelas) Thanks guys.

I would have put this in the fly tying section but it will get more visibility here. Sorry RR flehan
Posted By: Bug_Slinger

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/28/09 12:00 AM

http://www.edgeangling.com/FT3A.html
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/28/09 12:23 AM

http://www.bearsden.com/page106.html
Posted By: pearow

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/28/09 01:27 PM

cabelas has a bucktail assortment which is pieces of a lot of different color bucktails; a really good deal for the assortment of colors without having to buy sepeate bucktails in all the colors-p-
Posted By: mickfly

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/28/09 10:14 PM

The best assortment of colors I know of (and I've checked a bunch of shops and sites) is Feather-Craft in St. Louis. Here's a link to their listing for bucktails, which lists 34 different colors.

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?st...amp;x=0&y=0

Locally, the best bucktail-stocked fly shop I have visited in recent years is Tackle Box Outfitters in San Antonio. Bruce Young, their assistant manager, is a masterful tyer of flies, especially saltwater flies, and keeps their shelves stocked with a wide array of high quality tails in every imaginable color. And if you ask, he'll give you a quick tutorial on picking the best tail from among several of the same color.
Posted By: HOTKayaks

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/28/09 10:42 PM

If you let me know what you're looking for, we can see if we can get it for you. I don't carry everything in the shop, but I can get ahold of a variety of tying materials.

Thanks
Colleen
Posted By: deckhand*

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/28/09 11:33 PM

H.O.T. kayaks aka Colleen what are the temple hours now?
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/29/09 12:37 AM

Chris Helms is supposed to be the Guru of tying with deer hair. He's also supposed to have one heck of a supply.

Kirk

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/29/09 12:41 AM

I have Chris Helms's most recent catalog, and his focus is primarily on deer belly hair (for spinning) and other hairs, like elk, used for dry flies. I didn't see much in the way of bucktails in that catalog.

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/29/09 04:42 PM

I did a little digging around in his catalog and found this (page 16):

As I understand it, the best way to buy from him is to call and talk to him.

Kirk

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/29/09 08:16 PM

So Chris carries 18 colors of bucktail, Feather-Craft 34, though I am sure Chris could special order a color that you needed.

Here in Dallas, I found that Barlow's had a pretty good selection. I just sorted through my box of bucktails and found I had 20 colors, with some of the unusual ones (Peach, Ginger, Root Beer) coming from Barlow's. They also have some interesting Clouser patterns/colors in their fly bins to give you ideas on what can be tied.

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/29/09 08:39 PM

Even better! banana
That's what I get for listening to hearsay! blush

I think the Gander Mountain here (only choice I have) carries about, ohhh, roughly,SIX COLORS! breakdance (insert heavy sarcasm here)
I bow to your greater selection. flehan

(heh, heh, heh, really giving them smileys a workout!)

Kirk
Posted By: HOTKayaks

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/29/09 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: deckhand*
H.O.T. kayaks aka Colleen what are the temple hours now?

AKA...that sounds so cool! Like I've got an alias!

In Temple we're open Thursday and Friday from 6pm to 8pm, Saturday from 11am to 5pm, and Sunday noon to 5pm. We're going to be closed New Years Eve and New Years Day though. If you're looking for specific colors, just let me know (email: colleen at hotkayaks dot net) and I'll see what we can get...I know we can get the whole tail or pieces as well.
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: online bucktail supplier? - 12/29/09 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: HOTKayaks
...I know we can get the whole tail or pieces as well.

whole tail has always been my preference
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum