Texas Fishing Forum

The Grind is paying off.

Posted By: kdub#1

The Grind is paying off. - 01/04/23 06:06 PM

Hey guys,
You may or may not remember my post a few months back about being a fly fishing newb. I went to Co last summer and picked up the obsession that is fly fishing for trout. I have been fishing and camping in Beavers Bend nearly every week since Oct. Around Halloween I stepped in a hole and tore my achilles, complete tear. I kept on grindin' with an ortho boot over my waders, not Dr. recommended. Have gone from total skunks to catching a few here and there to pretty consistently catching fish even though they are mostly smalls. My favorite tactic has been catching on small dry flies in the pocket water. Being self taught (youtube and trial and error taught) my learning progress was slow but steady. Over Christmas break I invested my Christmas gift $$ into hiring a guide out of the fly shop for a full day to teach me how to fish the pocket water and to help me clean up my technique. I learned a LOT! We nymphed, fished hopper dropper, and dry flies. In addition to teaching me to fish the pocket water my guide took me to a spot where he knew some Tanks were hanging out and I caught a monster Bow and a 22 in Brown back to back. What an experience! The grind has been worth it and getting some pro. knowledge boosted my learning curve immensely. I thought I'd share a few pics of some of the fish I have caught over the last few months. Am looking forward to spending a month in Co. this summer.
Thanks for looking.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RexW

Re: The Grind is paying off. - 01/04/23 09:24 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: The Grind is paying off. - 01/05/23 12:22 AM

Fabulous
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: The Grind is paying off. - 01/05/23 12:41 AM

Cool! I'm jealous. Just be sure you heal up, so you get to spend that month in Colorado. IslandJim
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: The Grind is paying off. - 01/05/23 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by IslandJim
Cool! I'm jealous. Just be sure you heal up, so you get to spend that month in Colorado. IslandJim

Yessir! Got the boot off and am going to p.t. Started working out again, my goal is go get into the best shape of my life. I have some killer hikes planned. ie Black Canyon
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: The Grind is paying off. - 01/06/23 03:21 AM

Some great looking fish there! fish
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: The Grind is paying off. - 01/06/23 03:54 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum