Texas Fishing Forum

blue river fishing!

Posted By: danial S

blue river fishing! - 11/28/22 11:30 PM

good evening yall!

i went out to blue river to try my hand at trout fishing and fly-fishing yesterday for the first time ever. I started off with a couple wholly buggers and a San Juan worm at Hughes crossing to no avail-though I reckon it might have been the cause of inappropriate gear. eventually i crossed roads with a very nice gentleman by the name of steve who helped me at catching some fish. Hooked me up with the proper techniques and flies (quite similar to those i used for salmon in Canada) and i started to get quite a few. near the horseshoe waterfall
Ended up with a total of five fish, almost limited out but one of my fish that id have liked to keep wriggled out my hands. Still got a solid four fillets that I'll be cooking up tonight. Can't wait to catch a couple more from this section of the Blue river and really hone down my skills before heading over to the CnR zones and try my hand at the bigger brethren. Will keep y'all posted (i believe i may be heading out again this Sunday)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

one quick question for the more seasoned anglers- i have heard alot about stocked trout having clipped adipose fins? it seemed as if these trout did not. Do some stockeries not clip trout fins? are there naturally occuring trout in these waters too?

Re: blue river fishing! - 11/29/22 01:28 AM

quick lil update with the fried up fillets- came out quite a bit bigger and just as scrumptious as id expected! most definetly am going to have to get my hands on some more of these lil stockers. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: blue river fishing! - 11/30/22 02:34 AM

Good job and glad you enjoyed it. All trout in the blue are stocked. I noticed you said that you almost limited out catching 5. Just making sure you know that the limit is 3 per day with only 6 in possession if you’re camping multiple days. We were there today and I had maybe the slowest day I have ever had but I always enjoy the scenery of that river.

Re: blue river fishing! - 11/30/22 03:13 AM

we only kept two- caught five total but the third one we were supposed to keep ended up being the last fish and decided to go back home :,(. Fishing should be good saturday since theres a rain to come on sunday, hopefully ill be there for it!
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: blue river fishing! - 12/23/22 09:55 PM

Now I have some questions on the Blue River in Oklahoma. I am a bit out of that loop.
1) That parking on the E side of the Catch and Release (off 7) - is that just for parking, and there is still a hike up to the high point of the C-n-R?
2) I think the C-n-R is barbless? Kind of silly if you ask me, but my memory banks are full!
3) Are the stockings good in the C-n-R area? Still a mystery easter egg hunt?

Anybody been there lately?
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: blue river fishing! - 12/24/22 04:29 PM

they did the bump

Re: blue river fishing! - 12/24/22 05:50 PM

don't know much about the c&r area as I've only been around Hughes crossing and the horseshoe waterfall. AFAIK theres still the mile-long hike from the CNR area to the parking area as it is walk-in access. If I'm going for larger trout (which, I'd presume is what the CNR area is designated for) I'm thinking more along the lines of going down to LMF or maybe the Guadalupe soon. Will see once this cold front clears up some!
Posted By: fshng84

Re: blue river fishing! - 12/25/22 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by texasflycaster
they did the bump

Sorry for the delayed response. Been sidetracked... put this together for ease of reference.
Hope it helps!

Blue River Catch and Release Information
[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: blue river fishing! - 12/30/22 04:48 AM

Life is good. Nice post. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum