Texas Fishing Forum

Denison Dam Tailrace

Posted By: T.O.M.

Denison Dam Tailrace - 05/19/22 03:11 PM

Any reports from the tailwater on the Red River below denison dam? Looking to do some striper fishing as soon as i have some free time on my hands. Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks,

T.O.M.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Denison Dam Tailrace - 05/19/22 08:31 PM

Read the post by OsbornFishing in Open Freshwater about the fisherman that drowned below that dam after the siren blew and he didn't get out. IslandJim
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Denison Dam Tailrace - 05/20/22 03:42 AM

Unfortunately, an angler drowned when he ignored the sirens and was swept away by release water. Releases from the dam were stopped until the body was recovered. The Corps has resumed afternoon releases. On Friday, before the incident striper were being caught in the river below the Dam. There were also drum, buffalo and catfish caught. I have not been back since releases have resumed.

Everyone be careful out there. It only takes a few seconds for a decision to result in a very sad tragedy. My heart goes out to the family of the deceased.
Posted By: flyfshrgrl

Re: Denison Dam Tailrace - 06/04/22 12:26 AM

I would say that Mr. Johnson did NOT ignore the siren. He did struggle a bit trying to get to shore, and many people who were there and saw the incident happen reported there was not a 15 minute time between the horn sounding and the release. Now that releases are automated, the warning horn and release openings aren't as reliable as when humans actually operated the releases.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum