Texas Fishing Forum

Gruene/New Braunfels

Posted By: Dougfresh

Gruene/New Braunfels - 06/25/21 12:17 AM

Staying in Gruene next weekend right next to Rockin R. Can anyone recommend a good spot close by for fishing and swimming? Gonna try and head out early somewhere and fish then take my 3 and 7 year olds somewhere to swim.
Thanks in advance!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Gruene/New Braunfels - 06/25/21 12:38 AM

Camp Huaco Springs on River Road. You might give them a try. Would fish very early in the morning to avoid tubers and swimmers. There is a day use fee. Check their web site. You can also try the Comal River at Hinman Island Park and Cypress Bend park on the Guadalupe River they are also good places to fish. All of these places are close to Gruene and are in New Braunfels. Hinman Island is free and so is Cypress Bend Park. Again fish early morning is your best bet. Weekends usually belong to tubers and swimmers this time of year. thumb

Re: Gruene/New Braunfels - 06/25/21 12:58 AM

Thanks. Forgot to ask what flies are good for the Comal and Guadalupe grin

Re: Gruene/New Braunfels - 06/25/21 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dougfresh
Thanks. Forgot to ask what flies are good for the Comal and Guadalupe grin

I do not fly fish. Friends of mine who do usually use a Mayfly type of fly this time of year.

Re: Gruene/New Braunfels - 07/04/21 02:50 PM

Thanks for the rec on Cypress Bend Park. Hueco springs wasnt even allowing day passes over the weekend. Cypress Bend was a good spot early. Got a few on a homemade slider/gurgler. Seemed like a good kayak fishing spot too.

Re: Gruene/New Braunfels - 07/04/21 03:04 PM

Thanks for the rec on Cypress Bend Park. Hueco springs wasnt even allowing day passes over the weekend. Cypress Bend was a good spot early. Got a few on a homemade slider/gurgler. Seemed like a good kayak fishing spot too.

Glad you were able to catch a few. Yes Sir Cypress Bend is a great place to launch a kayak. Very good fishing where the Comal River flows into the Guadalupe River. As for Hueco Springs and further up river, I would suggest fishing there during the Rainbow Trout stocking season. Trout are stocked once a week from December through early February by Texas Parks & Wildlife. The river is also stocked with trout by several trout organizations throughout the winter as well. During the fall and winter the river is usually a lot less crowded. thumb
Posted By: TexasZman

Re: Gruene/New Braunfels - 07/06/21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

Glad you were able to catch a few. Yes Sir Cypress Bend is a great place to launch a kayak. Very good fishing where the Comal River flows into the Guadalupe River. As for Hueco Springs and further up river, I would suggest fishing there during the Rainbow Trout stocking season. Trout are stocked once a week from December through early February by Texas Parks & Wildlife. The river is also stocked with trout by several trout organizations throughout the winter as well. During the fall and winter the river is usually a lot less crowded. thumb

And some of the trout are BIG! Early April I caught a "holdover" trout that was close to 20 inches.

Re: Gruene/New Braunfels - 07/06/21 07:33 PM

Did not target trout but there were some monster river large mouth down there. Could not get them to take a fly though.

Re: Gruene/New Braunfels - 07/11/21 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by TexasZman
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

And some of the trout are BIG! Early April I caught a "holdover" trout that was close to 20 inches.

You can catch Rainbow Trout year around on the Guadalupe River from the Canyon Trail Race to the just past the fourth crossing!
thumb

Re: Gruene/New Braunfels - 07/11/21 08:43 PM

Did not target trout but there were some monster river large mouth down there. Could not get them to take a fly though.

Yes Sir you are 100 percent right. I currently hold the LMB weight and catch & release record for the Guadalupe River. thumb

Side Note: I think they eat their share of Rainbow Trout especially during the trout stocking times. Not to mention the monster Striped Bass love those trout also. coolio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum