Texas Fishing Forum

Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations

Posted By: slymer

Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/24/21 11:05 PM

Anybody have a recommendation for a guide out of Lake City? Heading up there around the end of August. Always just trout fished at the campground but wanted to try something different.
Posted By: Pine Mills Tracker

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/25/21 12:32 AM

Dan's Fly Shop used to have guided trips but have never used him.
970-944-2281
dansflyshop.com
Good Luck
Posted By: Easeup

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/25/21 12:55 AM

I have heard of people using guides out of Dans Fly shop also. So I guess they will link you up with the type of water you want to fish
Posted By: bikedog

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/25/21 01:12 AM

Peter Breeden from Beaver's Bend Fly Shop in Broken Bow is the guy to use up there. He will be in Lake City very soon and through the summer. www.beaversbendflyshop.com and they will get you in touch with him.
Posted By: Barbers Tree

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/25/21 02:43 PM

Slymer be careful where you fish a lot of private property. When I fished it you step off the county road while fishing the animas your trespassing. Didn’t know it had the game warden called on me and he explained it very clearly. Has to do with the laws of gold claims back in the 1800,s. Lot of good trout fishing tho.

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/25/21 05:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/26/21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by bikedog
Peter Breeden from Beaver's Bend Fly Shop in Broken Bow is the guy to use up there. He will be in Lake City very soon and through the summer. www.beaversbendflyshop.com and they will get you in touch with him.

Another vote for Peter Breeden. The Sportsman Outdoors Lake City, CO
Posted By: 9094

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/26/21 01:39 PM

The Sportsman has a couple of good guides.
There is a lot of good public water above lake San Christobal.
I have been going to Lame City virtually every summer for 30 years and flyfish all public water. If you know how to flyfish there isn’t much need for a guide.
You have the river above the lake, Cibola Creek in several places along Deer Lakes Road, Big Blue river north of town. All have good fishing and you can get away from the crowds.

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/26/21 11:00 PM

I messaged Peter the other day and he has a spot open.

Originally Posted by 9094
The Sportsman has a couple of good guides.
There is a lot of good public water above lake San Christobal.
I have been going to Lame City virtually every summer for 30 years and flyfish all public water. If you know how to flyfish there isn’t much need for a guide.
You have the river above the lake, Cibola Creek in several places along Deer Lakes Road, Big Blue river north of town. All have good fishing and you can get away from the crowds.

I have no idea what I’m doing for the most part. I go fishing up in Broken Bow for trout once a year but never have much luck. We are staying above the lake so I’ll ask for some pointers from my guide when I go.

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/26/21 11:15 PM

PM me before you go I’ll tell you about some spots.
Fishing the river above the lake is pretty easy if the flows are normal. They like big stimulator flys with a 14” dropper and a small bead head. If you get the drifts right it can be easy.

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/27/21 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by 9094
PM me before you go I’ll tell you about some spots.
Fishing the river above the lake is pretty easy if the flows are normal. They like big stimulator flys with a 14” dropper and a small bead head. If you get the drifts right it can be easy.

Thanks! I’m hoping the guide can help me with the drifts. That’s something I haven’t learned to do.
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 05/28/21 04:09 PM

1) Call Peter Breeden, 2) Hit high bridge area and Sapinero Canyon that time of year. 3) Above the lake is awesome dry action all day long 4) Cebolla creek is the best brown trout dry fly action anywhere.

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 08/30/21 01:23 AM

Thanks everyone for recommending Peter Breeden. I did a full day trip with him. Caught 10-12 mainly rainbows and few browns. Lost 5-10 more from being inexperienced. A friend went with me that had never been flyfishing before and caught around 20.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 09/02/21 09:16 PM

Man I love Lake City. Never had a guide there. Usually fish the public waters above the lake.
Posted By: Todd13

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 09/06/21 05:44 AM

Just looking at those hero shots makes me want to go back...just across the pass is the Rio. So much water, so little time.
Posted By: bikedog

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 09/09/21 01:24 PM

Fantastic!! Peter is a good man and great guide. So happy you had such a good experience out there. Cheers!!

Re: Lake City, CO Guide Recommendations - 09/09/21 11:13 PM

Missed our trip up there this year. Will be back up there next year though.
Looks like you had a great trip!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum