Texas Fishing Forum

Pearow

Posted By: Fish Chaser

Pearow - 04/11/21 01:08 AM

Our fellow fly fisherman Pearow, Gene Bethea, passed away yesterday after fighting prostate cancer for several years. Gene was one of the finest fly fishermen and a wonderful guy that I had the honor and pleasure of calling my friend. RIP, Gene.

If any of you know of other forums that Gene was on, please let them know.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Pearow - 04/11/21 04:07 AM

Thank you for letting us know sir. Gene was a fine fellow. Witty, friendly, a gentle man. He will be missed.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Pearow - 04/11/21 06:38 AM

angel2
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Pearow - 04/11/21 12:08 PM

RIP. angel2
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Pearow - 04/11/21 01:25 PM

[Linked Image]

I believe this photo was taken at Purtis Creek. This is the last time I remember seeing Pearow. He will be missed.

JR
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Pearow - 04/11/21 03:53 PM

Caught many bluegill on flies he gave me when I was first starting out.
RIP
Posted By: ccabal

Re: Pearow - 04/27/21 03:14 AM

How that was a long time ago. That was the first time I met him in person.
Posted By: FishDFly

Re: Pearow - 04/27/21 11:09 AM

Fished with him quite a few times, they were enjoyable.
Posted By: Doublehaul

Re: Pearow - 05/05/21 12:06 AM

A number of years ago, he made a mistake. He had built an eight foot four weight rod, only to realize he had threaded one too many guides on the blank. Always a perfectionist, he listed it on the old Texas Fly Report for $100. I scooped it up, of course. It resides at our old family farm, where it is the permanent go-to rod for tank fishing. We corresponded a few times via the message function on the old board. He eventually discovered that I had started fly fishing in 1963, at eight years of age, with a cheap Chinese made bamboo rod I had bought at the local hardware store for eight bucks, reel and line included. A few days later, to my surprise, a seven foot reimagined Chinese cane rod arrived at my door, courtesy of one Gene Bethea. He had found it at a garage sale for nothing, sanded, refinished, and rewrapped the old girl. It pleased him to gift that to another seasoned angler. I took it up to Broken Bow one January Sunday. (Listened to the Cowboys beat the Giants to clinch the division on the drive home, in the snow). I caught a few fish, then retired the rod. He invited me up to his home waters, of course. I never made it. He's the best friend I never actually met.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum