Texas Fishing Forum

Specs in the surf

Posted By: Dougfresh

Specs in the surf - 03/28/21 02:09 AM

I guess this question is a three parter. Going to make at least a few trips down to west Galveston this summer and hope to be staying within walking distance to the beach.

1. Has anyone ever had success fly fishing for specs in the surf? Particularly the early morning bite.

2. If so, what flies do you like for specs in the surf?

3. Has it been determined if the February freeze will have a significant impact on specs along the Texas coast?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Specs in the surf - 03/29/21 01:47 AM

Yes. My favorite way to fish the surf is with the fly gear. If it is right, it can be a fish every cast type of fishing, truly.
Early morning is prime, from sunup to 8 am, longer perhaps if it remains cloudy.
Flies, lots of them work. Baitfish types like EP, steve Farrar, gartside soft hackle streamers, shrimpy types like borski sliders, ep shrimp, clousers, redfish crack.

I focus on nervous bait, structure/current interplay and the mostly the first gut and bar off the beach. Stand in knee to low waist deep water, cast 50’ or so feet to fish sign or targeted areas of the bar/gut structure. Drift with the current using floated or intermediate tip line, long fluorocarbon leaders. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dougfresh

Re: Specs in the surf - 03/29/21 02:02 AM

Thats awesome. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Specs in the surf - 03/29/21 02:12 AM

Sure. From what reports I’ve heard or seen, trout will be in the surf in the usual amounts come May, if not sooner, at least north of the mid coast. I fish the Surfside surf and the Quintana side both just below Galveston, everything from san luis pass to the Brazos River. Never have waded west Galveston surf, but I think it’s a prime area for trout.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Specs in the surf - 03/29/21 02:16 AM

I have done well with gold clousers or shrimp imitations. Besides specs, you can also have a lot of fun catching ladyfish, jack crevalle and redfish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum