Texas Fishing Forum

Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay

Posted By: Capt. Mac

Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/12/21 04:30 PM

My buddy and fellow TFF'er, Brian Keller (LNT), and i hit the Blue last Sunday. I figured we would own the river because everyone would be home watching some game. WRONG! People everywhere. But, with the exception of one guy (whom, on hindsight, i should have drowned) everyone was friendly and kept their distance.
It started off very chilly early on and the fish seemed pretty slow. Brian started off with a hairs ear nymph under a strike indicator and began catching fish immediately. I tied on an olive wooly bugger and started stripping like i was stiper fishing and couldn't buy a strike. I noticed everyone around us was fishing bait on the bottomand catching fish. Everyone except the guy i should have drowned. He was casting a spoon with a medium retrieve and he never caught a fish. Brian caught three right out from under his nose and that kept me warm in the frigid air. I started dead drifting my bugger in the slower currents and started getting bit. Anything moving very much at all wouldnt get a look, had to be pretty still.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tailgate lunch

[Linked Image]

After lunch we changed locations. It warmed up a bit and the trout seemed to get a little more restless. I don't really think the temperature had that much to do with it but it sure seemed that way. I had weird day were i got a lot of strikes but had the worst luck with hooking fish. I changed flies and sharpened hooks and all that. I dont lnow if my timing was off or it was just too cold to set the hook with authority or what but i just couldn't seem to keep a fish hooked up. Luckly for me, i did manage to land the better fish that i DID manage to hook. Brian on the other hand had no trouble at all. He caught everything that came his way.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/12/21 04:47 PM

Nice pictures. Boy you’re not kidding about it being crowded this year. I hit the LMF Monday afternoon and Tuesday and had most areas to ourselves.

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/12/21 05:04 PM

Thanks Bill. I have a trip to the LMF planned here in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/12/21 07:31 PM

coolphotos and some solid fish and solid post. "It just don't get any better" ! thumb
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/12/21 07:54 PM

Really nice essay thumb

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/12/21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Capt. Mac
Thanks Bill. I have a trip to the LMF planned here in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

The tournament is on the 27th so it’s probably going to be pretty crowded that weekend. You fishing in it?

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/12/21 10:01 PM

No sir, Bill. I am not a tournament kind of guy. How about you - you gonna waid into that mess?
Posted By: LNT

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/12/21 11:26 PM

Other than the cold (and the poor fella that almost got himself drowned), what a great day. You absolutely took home gold for the biggest. I'll take silver for the bare-handed grab. Can't wait to do it again. Thanks for letting me tag along and for taking all the great photos and sharing.

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/13/21 02:51 AM

Stellar day! Have enjoyed the days we've spent in the water. Always nice to fish with guys that share the same "vision" about fishing. Looking forward to hooking up with you, Robert, Chuck and the gang on the creeks this spring. Also can't wait to get you on the front of my boat stalking tailing carp this summer.

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/13/21 12:49 PM

I try to fish the LMF mystery fly and the Blue River Classic tournaments when I can. Both are just benefit tournaments so I’m mainly there for a good time. The Blue River Classic tournament I don’t care if I get last place however at the LMF one I do try some because the prizes are generally very good and I like placing high enough to pick cabin or lodging
Posted By: fshng84

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/13/21 06:28 PM

Awesome! Love the Blue! LMF is awesome, too. Also, liking the LIR... Lower Illinois River (near Gore, OK)!
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/15/21 05:04 PM

Really good post and great photos! I used to fish the Blue River when I lived in the Metroplex area. I christened several of my split cane rods there. The trout in your photos could swallow some of the ones I caught! Those are healthy fish!

I have never fished any of the tournaments. I don’t like crowds. ‘Nuff said.

JR
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/15/21 05:54 PM

Thanks for the mouth watering report. Ever since your post about camping there I have wanted to go. Now Ihave the vehicle to do so I want to make a plan before the season is over. What is the precise location please?
Posted By: TexasZman

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/15/21 07:09 PM

Search for Blue River Campsites

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/15/21 08:59 PM

Thankyou, that is what I wanted.
Posted By: 5wtflyfisher

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/15/21 10:42 PM

nice.. up in the catch and release area? Justin

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/16/21 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Linecaster
Thanks for the mouth watering report. Ever since your post about camping there I have wanted to go. Now Ihave the vehicle to do so I want to make a plan before the season is over. What is the precise location please?

Thank You sir! I would love to camp out with you if you dont mind some company. I missed my annual birthday camp out up there this season and i have thinking about doing a make trip before the end of the season.

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/16/21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by split cane rod
Really good post and great photos! I used to fish the Blue River when I lived in the Metroplex area. I christened several of my split cane rods there. The trout in your photos could swallow some of the ones I caught! Those are healthy fish!

I have never fished any of the tournaments. I don’t like crowds. ‘Nuff said.

JR

When i first started fishin the Blue in the early ninties an eleven inch fish was something to get excited about. The Trout this year are some bruisers. I know what you mean about crowds.

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/16/21 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by 5wtflyfisher
nice.. up in the catch and release area? Justin

No sir, down in the park. I don't like the catch and release area. The water is to deep for my tastes.

Re: Officially Unofficial Blue River Report and photo essay - 02/16/21 12:22 PM

PM sent, thank you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum