Texas Fishing Forum

Best FF lakes

Posted By: McFish51

Best FF lakes - 12/30/20 01:04 AM

I'm in CA but will be in Tx in April./May Please recommend the best Fly fishing lakes for LMB. Great if they have good crappie as well. Thanks
Posted By: RexW

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/30/20 02:01 AM

In a specific part of the state or is this just a general question? It's a big state.

Some of the better LMB lakes would include Fork, Allen Henry, Amistad, and others could be included in the list. You can fly fish any of them that time of year, but they are located hundreds of miles apart from each other.

I'd suggest asking about the best lake in the part of the state you plan to visit.
Posted By: McFish51

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/30/20 02:47 AM

I understand; I can go anywhere and I have 2 weeks. So I'm looking for help narrowing things down. I have timeshare availability at Flint, Wills, and near Lake Fork. But I don' t have to stay at those areas if you have an outstanding choice.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/30/20 04:04 AM

Lake Fork is the most famous LMB lake in the state. So, it should be on your short list of options.

But, I recommend posting this question on the Bass Fishing section of this board. It gets a lot more traffic than the Fly Fishing section and I think you'll get more information on different lakes.

One thing to consider is that many of these lakes will require access to a boat and not all of them have rental boats available. So, if that is a concern, I'd be sure to ask that question while you look.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/30/20 03:34 PM

Call Rob Woodruff, 903-850-3670, Flyfishingfork.com, he's the best flyfishing guide around.
Posted By: I FISH 4

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/30/20 10:05 PM

CADDO LAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best all around Fly Fishing Lake in East Texas.
Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/30/20 11:36 PM

Fly tournament on Fork, 5/1

https://www.bassonthefly.org/
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/31/20 12:59 AM

Looks, by his website, that Woodruff is on the sidelines? May be better to search him on that newfangled Instagram thingie.
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/31/20 01:34 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-kAy3bDcOn/?igshid=1wjyq2jk99q6j -- Yup. Instagram thingie has up to date information on the Woodruffs. Quite the mystery though! So exciting I can hardly wait to hear what's next! Guesses anyone?
Posted By: ftabangler13

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/31/20 03:14 AM

My pick without a doubt would have to be Athens in April. Fish poppers, gurglers, frogs along pads and over grassy points in the AM, strip streamers over grassy structure during the day. Lots of fish and good shots at bigger ones too.
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Best FF lakes - 12/31/20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by texasflycaster
Looks, by his website, that Woodruff is on the sidelines? May be better to search him on that newfangled Instagram thingie.

Rob recently had a minor heart attack, but he will be back guiding late next month.
Posted By: I FISH 4

Re: Best FF lakes - 01/16/21 03:52 PM

Trips on east Texas Lakes.
[Linked Image]
Full day trip with two peolpe

[Linked Image]
!/2 day trip with one fly fisherman

[Linked Image]
1/2 day trip with one fly fisherman

All we do is fly fishing trips.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Best FF lakes - 01/16/21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by I FISH 4
CADDO LAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best all around Fly Fishing Lake in East Texas.

+2
fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum