Texas Fishing Forum

ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt?

Posted By: Cliff_H

ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/05/20 10:25 PM

I currently have a 5wt-9-ft rod that I have caught some nice pond bass, crappie, bluegill and even catfish in the 7-10lb range (wooly buggers rock!). Looking to purchase a cheap ultralight combo to mess around catching sunfish. Any recommendations on whether a 2wt or 3wt would be better and what length. Seen them range from 5'-6" to 8-ft. Also read that slow rod would be better but most seem to be medium fast. Only been fishing the fly rod off and on for about two years and still have a lot to learn. Appreciate recommendations.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/06/20 12:57 AM

A lot depends on your casting skills and what you intend to cast. A 1 or 2 weight rod should be able to handle small poppers, if you use them. I wouldn’t go any heavier than that, but you may prefer a heavier rod. I’d go as long as conditions permit; you’ll probably find a longer rod easier to cast, and a bit more effective fighting fish. If you can, try some different setups before you pull the trigger. What ever you decide on: enjoy!
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/06/20 01:00 AM

I personally think fiberglass rods are great
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/06/20 02:08 AM

I do not use a fly rod but I fish with anglers who do. I think most of them use a 3wt for the sunfish. thumb
Posted By: Canoeman1947

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/06/20 03:30 AM

If looking for a slower rod, look for a fiberglass rod. A Cabela's CGR could be a good choice. I have several 2 and 3 weight rods, some pretty expensive, but the CGR holds up well in that company. I prefer the 2 weight to the 3 weight, as I consider the 3 weight too short unless you are fishing under heavy overhead cover. Another inexpensive glass rod that some people really like is the Aventik in 3 weight, available on Amazon. It will probably take you a little time initially getting used to the slower action, but once you get used to it I believe you will like it. There are quite a few 2 and 3 weight glass rods available, but most are significantly more expensive than the ones I mentioned.

Larry
Posted By: Bones72

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/06/20 10:39 AM

What Canoeman said is really spot on. I'd also put in a plug for the Eagle Claw glass rods too. They take another line weight or two up but come very inexpensive and make an eater bluegill feel like a striper in heavy current and are also capable of flinging poppers and buggers.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/06/20 02:21 PM

Every one of these suggestions are spot-on. There are so many nice rods for sale.
Posted By: cob

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/06/20 04:39 PM

Personally have two 3 wt. rods. Both are TFO BVK’s. An 8 ft was one of my first rods. The picked up a 10 ft. For ponds and nymphing in Arkansas. I find the BVK is easy to cast and feels right for me.
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/07/20 12:57 AM

I have one of the original Orvis Superfine full flex 4 wt rods. I haven’t used it in a while. The new models are fiberglass, but this one is graphite.

Then, of course, are some of my split cane rods....... Hooo-weeee! Nothing like fishing with a bamboo fly rod!

But, I digress. You said that you wanted an entry-level rod. I would recommend a TFO or a Redington.

JR
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/07/20 01:19 AM

TFO 8ft 3wt. BVK would be my recommendation. You can buy the extentsion to make it 10ft. for nymphing also.
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/07/20 01:49 PM

I prefer slower shorter fiberglass rods over longer faster carbon fiber rods. I find shorter rods easier to control and more accurate. You don't need to make ultra long casts to catch sunfish. To me a fiberglass rod is more run in a fight than a ridged carbon fiber rod. The drawback to fiberglass is its heavier than carbon fiber.

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/07/20 10:51 PM

Thanks y’all. By the way caught this fat boy on my 5wt this morning

Attached picture BCC20BE6-7AB1-42AE-9913-616643FCB538.jpeg
Posted By: COFF

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/09/20 10:27 PM

Consider where you are going to be fishing when you choose your rod length. If you are going to be nymphing in rivers or running deep flies then you may want a 9 ft or longer rod to help lift out of the water.

But if you are plopping bass bugs into ponds you will like a 6.5 or 7' rod. You cannot believe the difference it makes working yourself in and under trees or into tight spaces at your local pond.

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/10/20 02:13 AM

Found a cheap $70 Maxcatch complete set-up - two choices, 6' 2wt or 7'-6" 3wt. Price point fits my skill. Fishing neighborhood ponds. Leaning towards the 3wt.
Posted By: RexW

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/11/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff_H
Found a cheap $70 Maxcatch complete set-up - two choices, 6' 2wt or 7'-6" 3wt. Price point fits my skill. Fishing neighborhood ponds. Leaning towards the 3wt.

I know nothing about either rod, but I fish a 3 wt way more than my 2 wt. The 3 wt is more of a general purpose size.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.
Posted By: COFF

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/11/20 04:51 PM

Maximumcatch 3WT

I have this rod in a 7' 3WT. It is definitely a fast action rod, and pretty stiff for a 3WT. The rod honestly doesn't load very well when casting light weight flies. It will cast them, but it feels like you are swinging your truck antenna. As it happens, I chunk a lot of big bass bugs and game changers into neighborhood ponds. The extra stiffness works very well flinging these overweight flies. And the rod can handle a 5# bass with no issues.

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the 2WT rod and used a 3WT line. They also have an option on these rods that comes with a spare tip. Not a bad idea for a guy like me with a long history of broken tips because I am casting while standing under trees.

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/11/20 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by COFF

Maximumcatch 3WT

I have this rod in a 7' 3WT. It is definitely a fast action rod, and pretty stiff for a 3WT. The rod honestly doesn't load very well when casting light weight flies. It will cast them, but it feels like you are swinging your truck antenna. As it happens, I chunk a lot of big bass bugs and game changers into neighborhood ponds. The extra stiffness works very well flinging these overweight flies. And the rod can handle a 5# bass with no issues.

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the 2WT rod and used a 3WT line. They also have an option on these rods that comes with a spare tip. Not a bad idea for a guy like me with a long history of broken tips because I am casting while standing under trees.

Good to know. I continue to waffle on this decision and was actually rethinking to the 2WT 6'-6" ($110 on amazon for combo kit). Rethinking Canoeman's suggestion of the 6'-2" CGR 2WT fiberglass rod ($70). Need to find a cheap real to go with it as most cheap ones on Amazon seem to be 3/4 and don't know if that is too big / heavy.

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/15/20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Canoeman1947
If looking for a slower rod, look for a fiberglass rod. A Cabela's CGR could be a good choice. I have several 2 and 3 weight rods, some pretty expensive, but the CGR holds up well in that company. I prefer the 2 weight to the 3 weight, as I consider the 3 weight too short unless you are fishing under heavy overhead cover. Another inexpensive glass rod that some people really like is the Aventik in 3 weight, available on Amazon. It will probably take you a little time initially getting used to the slower action, but once you get used to it I believe you will like it. There are quite a few 2 and 3 weight glass rods available, but most are significantly more expensive than the ones I mentioned.

Larry

What reel would you pair with the CGR 2wt? I took a look at the rod the other day and the reel seat slide bands seem like they won't last. Have you had any issues?

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 11/15/20 06:14 PM

Although I like the CGR a lot, I really don't care for the slide band seats. I have other rods with that type of reel seat, but the ones on the CGR are so small it is difficult to secure most reels to the seat. However, the Bass Pro White River Classic UL reel fits perfectly as does the Redington Zero 2/3 reel.

Larry
Posted By: I FISH 4

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 01/02/21 09:56 PM

We have two TFO 1wt 6'9 4pc that we only use for sunfish, most everyone we take out just love fishing with them.

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 01/05/21 05:03 AM

If, as you said, you are planning to use the rod on ponds, I would pick the 3 weight in length of 6'6" to 7'6". Most of the graphite rods listed as 3 weight usually cast better with a 4 or even 5 weight line. As I mentioned earlier Aventik or Riverruns rods are available in glass in a length of 6'6" or 6'7" in 3 weight. Some of these rods have to be shipped from China, but if you look on Ebay you can find a seller in the US for about $84. These are actually pretty nice rods. I traded one to a friend and he loves it.

Larry
Posted By: Jon P

Re: ultralight for sunfish 2wt or 3wt? - 01/11/21 09:26 PM

I just picked ups fiber glass 5wt that feels like a graphite 3wt. Its a slower cast so i like it. You might look at that.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum