Texas Fishing Forum

Wader help for beginner

Posted By: ps1135

Wader help for beginner - 11/04/20 04:17 PM

Hello,

I am wanting to go trout fishing hopefully during the winter for some trout, whether it is blue river or broken bow or guadalupe, and I dont have any waders.
I am still new to the sport so I am not looking for a big investment just yet. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some affordable yet decent quality waders so I don't freeze my butt off. I am looking to spend no more than 100.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/04/20 06:02 PM

I would look at Bass Pro Breathables or check Amazon for Compass 360.
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/04/20 06:43 PM

Waders
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/04/20 07:13 PM

I have used Hodgman for years. They are not the highest quality but work fine and are cheap. I use hip waders about as much as I use chest waders.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hodgman-...urcrp7AIVhYbACh1OswCUEAQYGSABEgJm8vD_BwE
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/04/20 08:01 PM

Academy have some decent fair priced waders
Posted By: ps1135

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/04/20 08:09 PM

So if I normally wear xl size athletic shorts/shirts, 38-40 pants (depending on brand), size 10.5-11 shoes(also depending on brand), what size should I look into?

if I want room for extra clothing for warmth do I go a size bigger that i would?(xl->xxl?)

stockingfoot vs bootfoot?

if stockingfoot, what size boot? (also any recs on cheaper wading boots)

TIA
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/04/20 08:34 PM

Stockingfoot all the way. Go up one shoe size. I know I mentioned Amazon but I would go try on waders for sizing. Then you can figure out how and where you buy.
Posted By: ps1135

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/04/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
Stockingfoot all the way. Go up one shoe size. I know I mentioned Amazon but I would go try on waders for sizing. Then you can figure out how and where you buy.


any decent and affordable boots you would recommend?
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/04/20 10:12 PM

Call Beavers Bend Fly shop. They sell the rental waders and boots twice a year I think. Great buys and some not worn much.

Agree with the stocking feet and I would get felt soles if this are the only places you are planning on fishing. You will bust your butt without studs in a rubber sole at broken bow
Posted By: ps1135

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/05/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Turf Dawg
Call Beavers Bend Fly shop. They sell the rental waders and boots twice a year I think. Great buys and some not worn much.

Agree with the stocking feet and I would get felt soles if this are the only places you are planning on fishing. You will bust your butt without studs in a rubber sole at broken bow


yeah the one time I went to broken bow I was wearing old tennis shoes as that was the only thing I had that I could wade in (didn't want to spend money in boots) and busted a few times. it was late spring/early summer so it was sort of refreshing lol but definitely looking into felt or studded boots but don't want to spend too much.

Do you know if the do shipping on those rental waders if you buy it from them?
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/09/20 01:12 PM

Make sure you try on the boots while wearing the waders and a pair of thick socks. Nothing more miserable than having the waders pinching on the toes. If you do go the mail order route, research the boots to see if the manufacturer recommends getting your shoe size or one size larger - it varies by manufacturer. In my case, if they recommend getting one size larger I get two sizes larger. I have liked my Cabelas waders and boots - three years in and no leaks, and they sometimes have a good sale on them.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/09/20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JCG57
Make sure you try on the boots while wearing the waders and a pair of thick socks. Nothing more miserable than having the waders pinching on the toes. If you do go the mail order route, research the boots to see if the manufacturer recommends getting your shoe size or one size larger - it varies by manufacturer. In my case, if they recommend getting one size larger I get two sizes larger. I have liked my Cabelas waders and boots - three years in and no leaks, and they sometimes have a good sale on them.


Just like the advice above I had a pair of waders with felt soles that were replaceable . The felt was to prevent slipping on the rocks . I fished is Washington State and the water was seldom above 50 deg so I had insulated waders and I always made sure my waders fit loose enough that I had half a chance of getting out of them in the water if I got caught in the current . Life jacket was under waders so the straps could be slipped off in the water .
Posted By: TexasZman

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/09/20 08:13 PM

Check out Scheel's.
Posted By: Fish444

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/12/20 01:15 AM

I would suggest checking out Wade4It

Their EverWade Hipwaders are amazing. I have no complaints.

They're great if you're looking for something that isn't super heavy and bulky.


[Linked Image]

Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/18/20 10:08 PM

I bought a set of Compass 360s and fished ten days straight in Idaho and they worked beautifully, not that ten days is a great test but...
Posted By: ps1135

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/19/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Los Lagos
I bought a set of Compass 360s and fished ten days straight in Idaho and they worked beautifully, not that ten days is a great test but...


ive been looking since the first post about the compass 360. i was wondering about sizing of these, do they run pretty true to their spreadsheet? is it better to go bigger in case one wants to have some thick layers under? thoughts?

also for boots, felt vs cleated?
Posted By: NIOnTheFly

Re: Wader help for beginner - 11/19/20 06:16 PM

They are all the same if the water level goes higher than the top of them hammer a few times now I've had squelchy socks.. user error..
Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: Wader help for beginner - 12/03/20 11:11 PM

Sorry for the slow response, they ran pretty true, I would not know to say size up or not, I am 5'10 and wear about a 46 coat 38-40 pant and I could layer under them none issue
Felt all the way if ya can
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum