Texas Fishing Forum

Point for debate

Posted By: COFF

Point for debate - 05/25/20 06:32 AM

I’d like to submit for debate what I consider to be the single biggest nemesis to fly fishermen : the weeping willow tree. The tough stringy branches that hang vertically seem to have a vacuum effect on leaders and flies.

Now there may be combinations of other factors that are worse than the willow tree. For instance, lead eyes + a cross wind. Or maybe a muddy slope + a broken flip flop. Those are worse but only because of the synergy of multiple circumstances.

So there you have the COFF argument for the one thing that can ruin your fly fishing outing quicker than any other. What say the rest of you?
Posted By: KQT

Re: Point for debate - 05/25/20 01:13 PM

You know there’s a tree behind you. You tell yourself “careful there’s a tree behind you”’ don’t hook the tree behind you on your back cast”. You hook the tree 😩
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Point for debate - 05/25/20 04:18 PM

That is part of the reason I changed my fishing location.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cob

Re: Point for debate - 05/25/20 04:48 PM

Doesn’t matter. Monster Cypress, willow, or 2 ft tall clump of Johnson grass. Anything behind me will be found by my fly in short order. I sometimes think the tiers direct their work to do it. Sells more flies
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Point for debate - 05/25/20 06:09 PM

[quote=Osbornfishing]That is part of the reason I changed my fishing location.

NOW THAT is a great location!
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Point for debate - 05/27/20 12:49 AM

I always seem to think that, since my last false cast didn't snag a limb of a tree (that I KNOW is behind me, then it only makes sense that i should be able to strip another foot on my forward cast and make another false cast. Then, if THAT one doesn't hang, a trio another foot and another false cast. Then I act surprised when I do get caught up.
Posted By: Bruce Mc

Re: Point for debate - 05/27/20 04:36 PM

Tree limbs and they're ability to snag a fly is just one of Murphy's law of fly fishing. Another part of Murphy's law of Fly Fishing is that the propensity of a fly rod tip to find a hatch cover or cleat on a boat is proportional to its price tag.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Point for debate - 06/01/20 12:56 AM

I was standing between two willows this morning casting to brim beds. I now have two flies securely tucked away at that spot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum