Texas Fishing Forum

Blue River

Posted By: Ocelot

Blue River - 12/27/19 03:47 AM

I went to the blue river this morning.
Heavy fog on the way there and walking in could only see about 40 yards.
Fog thinned out some, to about ~80 yards, by time I got on the water to start fishing but did not go away till about 2:00
Water was very clear but being overcast with fog you could not use polarized glasses to see what was in the water.
I watched one person using a small jig head with a white plastic grub worm who did very good fishing the slow moving water drifting around large rocks,
I was fishing below various ledges and bites were not very frequent.
One bit a size 14 olive near deer trailing a klouser.
Caught 3 on clousers: dark green and pumpkin, gray and white, silver/green tinsel.
Caught a couple on a cone head white muddler minnow.
All were larger than my size 12 wading boot a couple probably around 15"
Not many folks where I was today and ones there were very kind and helpful.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Blue River - 12/27/19 04:13 AM

Nice post. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Blue River - 12/31/19 12:54 AM

I was there Friday also. I fished the crossing for awhile on Ralph's rock until I got board then I moved downstream for a bit. Around 11 I headed to the wilderness area and fished awhile. Had a pretty good day. I am a short fat guy with a white beard.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Blue River - 01/19/20 02:50 AM

Had a chance to get up to the Blue River today and despite the recent rains the mild temps, sunshine and inability to get back up there for a while made the decision pretty easy.
Weather was mid 40's to mid 50's and sunny. This is the first time I have been when it was sunny, and no fog.
Winds were not bad in the morning but after lunch they were stronger and prevented casting upriver.
Water was like chocolate milk and the water level was 6" to a foot higher than I had seen before.
I was the only one there today and with the higher flows and water levels, I did not feel comfortable going out on any of the ledges and could not find any places to go across the river where it was below waist level.
I found a couple of narrow spots where I could cast into some eddies below the ridges but mostly tried drifting along the shore in areas where the current was much slower.
I tried different flies, sizes, colors and depths. I did not manage a single bite.
Broke out some rooster tails and tried fishing them for about an hour. With wind could not throw in areas I wanted to get to but could cover a lot of water downstream.
No bites on the rooster tails.
Finished the day drifting some power bait under a float for about an hour and a half.
Working from near shore to about 3/4 ways across the widest sections.
Still no bites.
I only saw one other person there today and they were squirrel hunting.
By time I left, water had started coming down some and the feeders into the river were much clearer.
Would have loved to have caught some fish but it was a beautiful day. Great to have the whole place to myself and to be out enjoying Gods creation.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Blue River - 01/19/20 04:37 AM

Neat post. Nicely done. thumb
Posted By: fray

Re: Blue River - 01/20/20 10:21 PM

smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum