Texas Fishing Forum

Ft Worth Fly Shop

Posted By: JavelinJ

Ft Worth Fly Shop - 12/15/19 01:25 PM

Other than Cabelas and Bass Pro, is there anything else in the DFW area?
Posted By: Jthoele

Re: Ft Worth Fly Shop - 12/15/19 03:31 PM

Tailwaters
Posted By: RexW

Re: Ft Worth Fly Shop - 12/15/19 03:32 PM

Multiple Orvis shops, Backwoods in Ft Worth, Tailwaters in Dallas, and Barlow's in Richardson for tying materials are the main options.
Posted By: burton1795

Re: Ft Worth Fly Shop - 12/16/19 12:04 AM

Backwoods in fort worth has some knowledgable guys. Went into new ft worth orvis the other day. Nobody spoke to me in the 15minutes I was there
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Ft Worth Fly Shop - 12/16/19 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by burton1795
Backwoods in fort worth has some knowledgable guys. Went into new ft worth orvis the other day. Nobody spoke to me in the 15minutes I was there

Did you ring the bell?
Posted By: 5wtflyfisher

Re: Ft Worth Fly Shop - 12/19/19 06:58 AM

tailwaters knows their stuff if you can get an actual fly fisherman to talk to.

Talk to steven at backwoods.. he is about the only one who knows fly fishing there.

Orvis is [censored]..... decent products but the people there are mostly sales guys especially the southlake shop.

The Orvis off northwest highway does have fly fishermen there but its a [censored] shot if you talk to one on the day you are there...
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Ft Worth Fly Shop - 12/19/19 04:00 PM

Mr. Woodcock is now at Orvis Fort Worth if I am not mistaken?

What is it you are looking for anyway? That should be the first question. I believe in supporting all brick-and-mortar operations that, a) support "us" and/or b) are forthcoming with local fly fishing information. It really is that simple. Not to be contrite, but if you want good service? Get a dog. The world has changed is my opinion - on retail services.
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: Ft Worth Fly Shop - 12/27/19 05:06 AM

I refuse to deal with the pricks at Cabela's and bass pro in the fly fishing department.
Avoid them like a plauge if they even get off thier lazy butt to great you.

I'm new to fly fishing but the Orvis Southlake store has treated me well and explained everything in normal language with a working class mans budget.

Stop by and speak to Rick. Tell him Gus sent ya!
Here is his contact info
Rick Haider
Orvis-Southlake
817-251-0262
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: Ft Worth Fly Shop - 12/27/19 02:34 PM

I have never been happy with Orvis. It seems every one I go in to has two types of employees. One the type that won’t acknowledge you unless you pull up in a Porsche and have a roll of hundreds in your pocket. The other well you may as well go to Academy and talk with staff that has better knowledge of what they are selling.

Tailwaters is the best in DFW. Great staff that won’t automatically push you to the most expensive gear. They know the local waters and everyone I have talked with there fishes, ties or both. Most of their staff are even casting instructors.

There is also Allen over is southlake. I haven’t been there yet but I may stop by this afternoon.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum