Texas Fishing Forum

Recovery and Future

Posted By: broncos1

Recovery and Future - 12/07/19 04:03 PM

I’ve posted about my neck fusion in another part of TFF. So I’m around 7 weeks post op going to PT once a week so next week I’m going to ask if I start back at fishing again. Hopeful thinking, but the worst thing is he’ll tell me not yet. I also have something called a chiari which is being monitored. Any who I’m tired of beating the bank and I’m looking at the bass raider or maybe a v bottom job boat. Kayaking is out of the question due to lower back problems, I’ve tried it and I’m down and out for a few days after. I workout and do stretching exercises and continue PT excercises from a back surgery I had a few years ago. So bouncing in a bass boat is not going to be good as well. So any input will help, thank you!!!
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Recovery and Future - 12/10/19 02:50 AM

I've had spinal fusion surgery (L5-s1) and I understand not wanting to bounce around on a boat. I previously used a small sit in paddle kayak and the cheap seat and paddling hurt my back. I would recommend trying a newer model kayak with one of the good supportive seats (aka larry chair) and a pedal drive. If you're sitting on a supportive seat and not having to twist your body to paddle you can cover a lot of water. I will admit that sometimes my back does get a little stiff but my kayak is so stable that I can stand up to stretch and can fish standing up with no problem.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Recovery and Future - 12/12/19 02:13 AM

I had three surgeries after a car wreck. I went fishing with a neck brace after neck fusion, and with a sling twice, after two more surgeries. My recommendation is it follow your doctor’s advice. Your part is to push the recovery as far as you can under his direction. After some painful rehab you can have a full recovery. My neck fusion gives me a little pain if I have to look up for a long period of time but it has not affected my fishing long term, even in an offshore boat. My surgeon hung this picture in his office to show life goes on after recovery. I was pushing it a pound or two since I was not supposed to lift over ten pounds. I hope you have a full recovery.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Canoeman1947

Re: Recovery and Future - 12/12/19 04:21 PM

I retired a little over two years ago after 43 years as a physical therapist. I would have advised any of my neck fusion patients who were still in a brace to never pick up anything that heavy, but as a 30 year flyfisherman I realize there are tmes you just gotta do it.

Larry
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Recovery and Future - 12/12/19 10:09 PM

Some suggestions for quality bank fishing:

- winter rainbows in Oklahoma's Blue River
- spring white bass in many local creeks
- summer specs and reds on Texas coast in bays and surf
- fall brown trout in White and Little Red Rivers in Arkansas

And of course Rocky Mountain cutthroats whenever weather permits.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Recovery and Future - 12/31/19 04:58 AM

It's best to play it safe. Get well and then start fishing again. Remember you can't fish if your health gives out. thumb
Posted By: broncos1

Re: Recovery and Future - 01/11/20 10:03 PM

Thank you sir. Great picture!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum