Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Taneycomo

Posted By: RadarNick

Lake Taneycomo - 09/03/19 03:16 AM

Headed to Taneycomo next Sunday and wondering what the conditions and fishing is like. I've fished the White River numerous times below Beaver and the Little Red once before, but never Taneycomo. My initial thoughts have been Zebra Midges below some type of small ant pattern. Any thoughts or advice?
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Lake Taneycomo - 09/03/19 07:10 AM

Scuds, San Juan worms, sculpin patterns, woolly buggers, and then scuds, scuds, and more scuds. Pretty much a scud pattern is the best choice 80% of the time, drop it below a red, pink, tan, or even orange San Juan worm. Woolly buggers In dark colors work well when the water is down. I’ve heard of zebra midges working but I’ve always been told that’s more of a winter time thing. Being that it is September, some of the bigger browns should be starting to show up, that’s where some big zonker and big fluffy sculpin patterns come into play, anything that looks like a sculpin darting it’s way across the bottom of the stream.
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Lake Taneycomo - 09/03/19 11:23 AM

Don't forget sowbugs either. 99 percent of southern tailwaters have a plethora of them. Olive, UV grey and tan would be the go to colors. Also as has been mentioned streamers in a few different flavors worked deep will work too. If you get a cool cloudy day a thorax BWO would also be good. This time of year there should be a few hoppers around so a hopper pattern or #14 to#12 stimulator in yellow or caddis green should draw some attention.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Lake Taneycomo - 09/03/19 12:08 PM

X2 on the sowbugs and hoppers. Love the Branson area.
Posted By: RadarNick

Re: Lake Taneycomo - 09/04/19 04:08 AM

Thanks all. Appreciate the help.
Posted By: Canoeman1947

Re: Lake Taneycomo - 09/04/19 04:52 PM

Also be careful not to step on the trout. They tend to cluster right in front of your feet, waiting for you to move your foot and stir up some scuds or sowbugs. I was told about it and didn't believe it until I looked down and there must have been about 10 trout right in front of me just hovering.

Larry

Re: Lake Taneycomo - 09/04/19 05:58 PM

Just don’t do the San Juan shuffle
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: Lake Taneycomo - 09/21/19 05:11 AM

Just got back last week from 8 days in Branson. I’m a complete amateur when it comes to fly fishing. Took me about 4-5 trips to the river to figure things out; I watched a lot of guys that knew what they were doing and asked for any free advice. Finally figured somethings out on days 5-6. I did hook 3 that I couldn’t stop, when they head downriver they’d strip all my line and most of the backing. Mid day they’d blast the horn and the bite was on, they’d open a gate and the river would come up 3-4’. Those fish would turn on, it was a blast. My best fish (that I landed)was a 20” rainbow on a white San Juan worm. Probably my best fish was on a black San Juan worm, never saw it but I couldn’t stop it as it headed downriver. My best set up was an egg on top, split shop and a small mid or sow bug or two. Used an indicator at times, caught more w/out one. Did catch a couple of 16-18” browns. Colors didn’t seem to matter.

Everyone talks about using 2lb test, I used 4 and broke off way too many fish. If I was heading up there next week I’d go with 6lb floro, might not hook as many but would probably land more.

It was a blast!

Re: Lake Taneycomo - 09/23/19 02:49 PM

On taneycomo you’re best off using 4x Fluoro on streamers and 5x fluoro on nymph rigs. Your catch rate will vastly improve if you use a fluorocarbon tippet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum