Texas Fishing Forum

Break neck run to Colorado!

Posted By: Robert Hunter

Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/11/19 05:20 PM

Well I had forgot my password and got logged out. I finally got it reset at least. Well couldn’t see my son like I had hoped,and I had a friend in Colorado. I hadn’t had a day all the way off in a few weeks. I found a last min flight for ridiculous cheap. Only needed a carry on as I could use my friends gear there. Caught some Beautiful cutthroat alongside breathtaking scenery on one of my high Alpine Lakes! Day 2 hit the rio my buddy that guides up in south fork Kirby was hoping he would have a cancellation so we could fish out of the boat. Sadly didn’t happen till the next day and I had to head out. So I ventured out on the still a little high big water. Pheasant tails trailed with a green cooper John was working well early in the morning. By 3 o’clock the bugs started coming off. Big bugs stone flys everywhere. I switched over to a yellow stimulator at this point. I had already caught several fish noticed a lot of them or having to hop a couple of times along the water before they could take flight. So I started casting almost directly across the stream with some weird hybrid water haul t snap snap cast. The brush was thick behind me but I was able to cover the entire river that way. I started skating the flies three or four skips and then would stop them on a dead drift and they were getting crushed immediately after stopping. I was watching fish charge from over 10 feet away to hit the fly. After about an hour of consistent catching I finally saw a big dark submarine and knew immediately it was a true Rio grande brown. I Chase to this fish down river 50 to 75 yards it got hung up under a cut bank. I get it free from that without breaking the tippit when I had it going my way the hook just pulled out but that’s Fishing. For just having two days I guess it was as much as I’ve worked recently but it felt like I was there a week it was an amazing trip caught a lot of fish along the way. Looking forward to you getting up there in September for a longer trip when the streamer bites starts full strength.I will post pics shortly

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/11/19 05:23 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

chevron station near me

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/11/19 05:26 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

anonymous image hosting
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/11/19 07:43 PM

That looks like an awesome trip
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/11/19 08:52 PM

Nice cutties man !

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/11/19 09:02 PM

Thanks guys it’s crazy I’ve never had a trip that short feel that long but apparently I’m not going to have to drive anymore. I can fly out there and save a ton of time! Really caught some exceptional fish I did not take my GoPro because first time I’ve flown out there I didn’t take really much of anything. Seeing as I was wet waiting I did not have my phone out with me in the middle of the river let loose a lot of really nice fish.I had pretty much everything there I do have some stuff I’m definitely going to add into my carry-on next time. It’s definitely nice having an inside connection and some of the best trout water in the country!If anybody is wondering it’s fishing good right now up in Colorado that’s for sure.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/11/19 10:47 PM

WOW!!! Beautiful fish and scenery
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/11/19 11:47 PM

Very nice!!! Love that town and the fishing there cheers
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/12/19 01:11 AM

Nice ones Robert!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/12/19 04:33 AM

thumb good stuff!
Posted By: GunnisonCountry

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/13/19 12:00 PM

Robert-
Great trip and photos...thanks for sharing. I think next to the Gunnison Valley, the South Fork/Rio Grande area might be my 2nd favorite Colorado fishery.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/13/19 07:07 PM

WOW, amazing views!!

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/13/19 08:13 PM

Anybody want to compete with me on a log rolling contest LOL. I really think a lot of the damsel Nymphs hang out around that flooded timber. It’s really good fishing right around it but you have to have enough balance to be able to walk out on the logs so that you don’t have to try and drag them over with Light Tippit. Hook into a good one they will get you wobbling In a hurry when you set the hook LOL. I have to add Gunnison if you have the side-by-side and can go over the pass and get to the conejo Valley and a short snap from there. It is a very close first and second on those two. If driving by car it’s a long haul but if you get the side-by-side and you can get a ride over the mountain it’s really a easy venture to get to a ton of amazing fisheries right there.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/13/19 09:38 PM

Awesome post! coolphotos
Posted By: sowhntr

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 08/25/19 08:52 PM

I love me some Colorado! Great pics. Nothing beats a break from this heat.
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 09/19/19 09:07 PM

Poage Lake??
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 09/20/19 04:23 AM

coolphotos Totally Awesome! cheers
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 09/20/19 07:33 PM

Some really nice fish and beautiful scenery.
And to think all that in 2 days!
Great job
Thanks for posting
Posted By: RonL

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 09/24/19 03:54 PM

Great pictures and congrats on fine catches ! No thanks to log rolling , id be wet before I got on a log lol !! Thanks for sharing picts , love Colorado but not been there fishing yet but it's planned in the future .

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 12/05/19 04:52 AM

Thanks guys!! Really stunning up there. Yet due to things out of my control just have not been able to get out at all. I’ll try not to be a ghost and get some of my stuck in the office eye candy up here. That’s the eye candy your boss can’t get mad about lol. Stay tuned at some point hope sooner than later banana
Posted By: JGC69

Re: Break neck run to Colorado! - 12/28/19 03:48 PM

Cool stuff!! Next time you're at Clear Creek Falls crawl down the back side through the Aspens to the pump/meter house and fish up to the falls. It's full of nice fish with some nice pools!! Then crawl up the boulders to the top, it's simple. I've done it twice with a buddy, well worth it, jg.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum