Texas Fishing Forum

reel recommendations

Posted By: texaspirate

reel recommendations - 08/08/19 01:28 AM

Hi Everyone, Im relatively new to fly fishing. Ive managed to catch a few fish and enjoy it immensely. Bass fisherman with Heavy gear and horse it in attitude to the art of fly fishing is a challenging and fun transition.

Im looking for some reel recommendations. I have my first TFO and now have acquired 3 more rods in a lot I purchased. My first reel was the Lamson 3 spool combo and frankly its just poorly made. Pot metal, easily deformed or broken after only a few uses. Im down to my 3rd and final spool on it and used it very very little. My bait casters stood up to years of heavy abuse. I want something robust enough to last and solid quality. I have a very nice custom bamboo3 wt, two very nice 5 wt and now a 7 wt (ill deal with that later)... first Id like to buy one really nice 3/4 wt and get comfortable with their product. The orvis reel I bought has stood up fine... but again, Im a very light user... fresh water only.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: reel recommendations - 08/08/19 01:52 AM

Well I’m partial to Ross Reels. Drags are great, they look great and American made. Plus they flat out perform. Give their site a look and PM me if you have any questions.

4W
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: reel recommendations - 08/08/19 02:08 AM

Piscifun for value. But there are lots of great reels out there....
Posted By: karstopo

Re: reel recommendations - 08/08/19 02:47 AM

X2 on the Piscifun Sword. The only problem I’ve had with any fly reels is with ones that get exposure to saltwater. Cast, stamped or pressed metal ferrous or aluminum won’t last long in salty waters. Fly reels are so simple as compared to a baitcasting reel.

You might look into what reel balances your particular rods. A very light weight reel will make a heavier rod feel tip heavy and not as fun to fish.

Smaller reels can have click and pawl type of drags. There are other types of drags such as disc, cork, etc. The drag doesn’t seem very important to me unless with fish that can run off a bunch of line. Even then, I think there’s too much emphasis on drags with ridiculous amounts of stopping power or near zero inertia.

Fly fishing is a haven for perfectionists so there’s always the quest for the perfect reel, not that anything close to perfect is all that Important.
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: reel recommendations - 08/08/19 10:24 AM

I wouldn’t recommend the Piscifun Sword. The drag knob is way too sensitive. The slightest touch can loosen the drag down to free spin. There isn’t anything to keep the setting in place.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: reel recommendations - 08/08/19 05:19 PM

I like the Cabelas reels, they Lso have a nice drag, not that I have ever needed one.
Posted By: texaspirate

Re: reel recommendations - 08/08/19 07:37 PM

Thanks Everyone I appreciate the advice
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum