Texas Fishing Forum

A Tarpon

Posted By: Capt. Mac

A Tarpon - 06/01/19 06:43 PM

With all the flooding i havn't been hitting the carp flats ( my favorites are about six feet deep right now) so i have had plenty of time to do some editing. Finished this one yesterday. Went to the Keys last summer and guide Shane Smith put me into an epic day of Tarpon fishing. We hooked eleven and landed six. This os the story of the first one we boated.

https://vimeo.com/339371093
Posted By: Jesse10

Re: A Tarpon - 06/01/19 11:08 PM

I don’t know who got worked more! Great video. I’m envious. I bet you were just anticipating that rod snapping! It’s pretty impressive how much an 11wt can take. That rod was tacoed over!

Re: A Tarpon - 06/02/19 02:17 AM

I don't know HOW many times i thought that rod was going to snap.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: A Tarpon - 06/02/19 03:35 AM

Epic battle and great video as always bud. What was the estimated weight on that one. That rod looked like my three wt. when I hooked an 8 lb hybrid on it. Need to get into some of that for sure.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: A Tarpon - 06/02/19 01:03 PM

My arms got tired just watching that video, well done Cpt. Mac.
Posted By: tx8er

Re: A Tarpon - 06/02/19 06:24 PM

So much fun to watch. Great job and thanks for posting. How long was the fight ?

Re: A Tarpon - 06/02/19 09:39 PM

Thanks guys!
The guide said fifty ( i think he may have been adding a few to build me up) i guessed fourty, so...?
The raw footage, started just before the hook set and stopped after the release, when Shane shut the camera off at the end of the video and before the credit roll is twenty two minutes and some change. I don't know how many times i thought the rod would break.
Posted By: didja getny

Re: A Tarpon - 06/03/19 01:38 PM

Another great video Capt!

You can use this video to demonstrate the proper technique for fighting big fish on a fly rod. An example of a rod in the hands of a guy who knows how to use it. You are clearly an excellent fisherman!
Posted By: Clay34

Re: A Tarpon - 06/03/19 02:08 PM

I've been throwing a 3 wt lately for crappie and your video made me smile. Congrats on something that will remain in your memory for a lifetime.
Posted By: FishyB

Re: A Tarpon - 06/03/19 06:59 PM

I think I would have had to take a break about 3 minutes in to that slug fest. You sir are an athlete!

Great job on the video Capt. Mac; really like hearing the dialogue between you and Shane. As always, I learned something new.

FishyB

Re: A Tarpon - 06/06/19 05:36 PM

Thank you guys. I had plenty of help from Shane on how to fight that fish. I've caught some big Redfish on flies but Tarpon are a whole differant world. I'm glad i had his input.

Clay34 - catching Crappie on a three weight is fun to. i do a bit of that in the Spring and i always enjoy it a lot.

FishyB. - I'm getting more and more into th his "dialog" stuff.

I sure hope i can get you on the front of my boat again sometime soon.
Posted By: FishyB

Re: A Tarpon - 06/06/19 06:23 PM

Well sir. I am free on the weekends now! smile

Re: A Tarpon - 06/06/19 09:24 PM

Well then....
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A Tarpon - 06/07/19 04:56 AM

As always great video and thanks for sharing. cheers

Re: A Tarpon - 06/14/19 05:26 PM

Thank you banker!