Texas Fishing Forum

In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!!

Posted By: Robert Hunter

In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/09/19 03:32 AM

Had my sz 2 closures setting on the back of the car and pretty sure I ran over them my self at work. My assistant manager found them and knew they had to be mine. When I went back and got them all the dumbbell eyes where knocked out. Catslayer had just got a new rod for Christmas and wanted on some fish but we were stuck with sz6 only. We got started and found fish the dink’s would not stay off the smaller flys at all. Thank goodness I noticed Didja getny across the river he waved us over when we realized who we were. He had some extra bigger clousers he ties sweet pattern at that. Only took a few pics they were too on to mess with it. I finally turned the go pro on and took a few stills. Catslayer broke in the new rod very well needless to say. This has been one of the best winters of fishing in some time. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/09/19 03:43 AM

flehan

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/09/19 07:20 PM

Kodys papa check your pm
Posted By: Laker One

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/09/19 08:23 PM

Totally Awesome. Good job. woot
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/10/19 01:08 AM

Another good session!

Wading out there is a little sketchy at the higher flows, but the fish don’t seem to mind:)
Posted By: didja getny

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/10/19 10:57 PM

It was an awesome afternoon! Low 70s, light wind and lights out fishing. 30+ fish day. Robert, glad you and Catslayer showed up to share the experience. I was happy to help you guys out with flies.....don't leave flies on the trunk and drive!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I love striper fishing!

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/11/19 05:20 AM

Lol tell me about it I actually tried one action just wasn’t right without the weight in the eye. Call that payment for subleases on my rock roflmaoheck yea banner day for sure. Got a day lined out for next week let me know your schedule looks like. Let’s hit them again actually have some flexibility on the day. I’m not going to tell Catslayer story but made his day for sure getting the dink rats off!! I plan on two days next week for sure then it’s time for us to take a boat ride above the lake. It’s here
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/11/19 05:21 AM

Nice fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/11/19 10:26 PM

I just can't seem to catch the right day for Stripers. Maybe one of these days... Glad you guys hit 'em. Nice looking fish.

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/11/19 11:58 PM

Yes Capt. They are some af the fattest striper I’ve ever caught. They definitely have days that are on fire for the big fish and some you can’t keep the little dink’s off. Didja hitting them now I got stuck with stocker trout. They were on fire at least. I have a feeling he is hammering them perfect weathers for them.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 01:04 AM

Awesome Job guys thumb

I'm jealous
Posted By: Bigpaddle

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 05:42 AM

Great looking fish! The river levels have making hard to get into the waters around here. I was wondering what the CSI was when you were out there?

Thanks....

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 07:14 AM

Cfs bigpaddle?650 if so I have fished 1800-2200 where we are fishing and the fish are stacked on top of each other in one of three places. They are fish in a barrel at that point it’s just a very scetchy wade. Yet oddly I think it is scarier at 650 because you think you can push it more. 2000 you know for sure where you can and can’t cross lol. We just take our time it’s still way to cold for my warm blooded Texan butt to swim. Just have to watch generation schedule there is one up on swpa web site. Just know it’s not always accurate.

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 07:15 AM

J-moe like I said on carp post come on it’s good!
Posted By: Bigpaddle

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 12:26 PM

Robert,

Wow...I didn't realize my post was that full of grammaticals. Yes CFS...thank you for the update. Keeping a keen eye on the flows...been a while since we've had this wet of a fall and winter. It will be interesting to see what the Sping holds for us.

Thanks again!

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 04:08 PM

I wish I could fish during the week cry

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 06:25 PM

Yes me too maybe we can hit it Sunday I’ll probably be up there tomorrow myself

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 06:28 PM

As Robert mentioned, I went back yesterday afternoon. Caught 19 fish with only 4 being less than 20". Biggest, 8lbs. Had one break my 20lb leader. I stuck it and it broke off with it's first head shake. Could have been a bad knot......could have been a monster!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 06:33 PM

@bigpaddle no doubt about it. We could not get another rain this spring and people will still be able to spread out. There will be a great run on every feeder creek/river on every lake period. There are fish in the rivers now already for sure bananaalready getting reports from multiple rivers as a matter of fact.

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 06:36 PM

I figured you hammered them trout were on fire great stuff right there. Probably us being not really lazy but caught up in the action and not retying. Still had to be a big fish that invisix is tuff stuff!

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/12/19 09:07 PM

Ahhh. Jealousssssssss.

Saturday is warmer, but do you guys think that matters?

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/13/19 04:53 AM

Nope not really as long as it’s not blue bird sky’s with no clouds and high pressure you should be good

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/15/19 07:02 PM

I can't help myself. I can't keep off Robert's rock. So, I went back......again! Another 24 striper, biggest 8.5 lbs, and a mess of nice sandies.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ryan, you going tomorrow? I know Robert has to work but I'm pretty sure Justin and I are going. We've got a slight cold front blowing through this evening and I hope it doesn't give them lock jaw.

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/15/19 09:06 PM

24 is a good number O_o.

PM sent.

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/16/19 12:52 AM

Really looked like a light schedule till I had a manager no call no show. Lucky me it made me the volunteer lol. Y’all should wack them. Text me when you do head that way again. My line of work things can change in an instant. Really is “world class” fishing in the words of Mateo. I plan to hit the striper few more time before starting boat runs for them. Good heavy rain will fire that up real quick!!!

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/17/19 09:54 PM

Fished with Didja Getny and Justin yesterday, with decent success, though it sounds like the wonky weather threw the fishing from on fire to merely good (well I thought it was good...).

Maybe 20 fish total, including five stripers around 20" and an entirely unexpected bonus 4lb largemouth. The rest were mini stripers and mag sandies.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BoPro

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/18/19 12:39 AM

I'm only a little jealous cheers

Re: In coming cold front no problem striper slug fest!!!! - 02/18/19 12:50 AM

BoPro keep thinking I’ll run into you sometime. Glichmo it’s funny you say that been days we have packed up and gone hope saying this stinks and another buddy is tickled pink with how good it was. Hit it on the right day and then you will know it’s always been decent for sure way better than work lol. Really nice lmb lot of really good smallmouth in there but they have moved down to keep from getting eaten lol. Nice fish!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum