Texas Fishing Forum

Vacation Fishing

Posted By: j_hirn2

Vacation Fishing - 07/20/18 04:01 PM

Well I picked the hottest week of the year to take some of my vacation. Still managed to get some fishing in though. Would of done some more except for some unexpected things that popped up.

Last Friday evening headed out about 7 PM. Bass weren't interested so I put on a squirmy worm

(basically a San Juan worm made out of plastic) and caught these:

I think a squirmy worm in a larger size would make a good bass fly. They work good on sunfish, but get torn up pretty quickly.

Monday I took my truck in for its 100k maintenance. Same day the AC stopped working. Turned out it was a stuck valve. The AC guy replaced it Tuesday. Wednesday I took the wife to Fort Worth for an eye exam and new glasses in the morning and ran errands in the afternoon. Managed a little fishing that evening and caught another bluegill and a small bass on a baby bugger.

This morning I caught a 1 lb crappie and a couple of small bass.

I had planned on doing more fishing, but I was lucky to catch a few.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/20/18 07:34 PM

Those are some nice fish, good idea with the squirmy worm, I have some will have to tie up the San Juan with them thanks for posting.
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/20/18 07:40 PM

Those are some nice fish.

Originally Posted By: Linecaster
Those are some nice fish, good idea with the squirmy worm, I have some will have to tie up the San Juan with them thanks for posting.

When you tie the worm down make sure you use dubbing or the thread will cut in to the silicone.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/20/18 11:51 PM

Nice crappie... And nice tie
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/21/18 03:41 AM

Good point about the dubbing thanks.

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/21/18 04:54 PM

Thanks kody'spappa. I caught the crappie, but can't take credit for the worm. It's a picture of an Orvis shaky worm. It's the original one I bought, but it costs $2.29 per worm and I found them available for 62 cents apiece (discount for 6 or more) online.

Like I said the sunfish tear them up so I couldn't afford the Orvis version.

I did catch a 17" bass a couple of years ago on one. It was a nice surprise.

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/21/18 04:57 PM

Thanks Linecaster. They seem to catch mostly larger bluegill for some reason (at least for me).

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/21/18 05:01 PM

Thanks Mitt78. They were all caught in what's basically a big long ditch in a housing development.

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/21/18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: j_hirn2
Thanks kody'spappa. I caught the crappie, but can't take credit for the worm. It's a picture of an Orvis shaky worm. It's the original one I bought, but it costs $2.29 per worm and I found them available for 62 cents apiece (discount for 6 or more) online.

That is crazy! For the price of 4 or 5 of those at Orvis you could tie dozens of them.

Maybe I need to start selling some to support my fishing habit.

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/21/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: j_hirn2
Thanks Mitt78. They were all caught in what's basically a big long ditch in a housing development.

I like being able to find places like that. They are usually under fished and you can be suprised at what you hook.
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/25/18 11:23 PM

It wasn't exactly a vacation, but Spofford Lake, NH. Check it out sometime when you are in thei r neck of the woods!

Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Vacation Fishing - 07/25/18 11:35 PM

I need to get back to chasing Bluegills.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum