Texas Fishing Forum

Mixed bag on the carp flats

Posted By: Capt. Mac

Mixed bag on the carp flats - 05/15/18 04:38 PM

The wind was up yesterday so i had to fish some flats i don't usually fish. I was kind of flustered about it - even rode around looking for schooling sand bass for a little bit, proved fruitless and i got tired of fighting waves. I was alone and trying to pole the boat in that kind of wind and fish is about impossible so i hit some deeper water were i could run the trolling motor in the backs of some coves so i could get out of the wind. Not my favorite way to do it but it was that or nothing. My frustration very quickly turned around. I spotted what i thought was a catfish. I had a big steamer tied on a seven weight from my last attempt at bass fishing, grabbed that rod and dropped the streamer about two feet out. Turns out to be a drum about six pounds and he immediately pounces on the streamer so quickly that i got over excited and snapped the tippet, setting the hook too hard. I could see a couple of more drum down the way so i tied on some fresh tippet, a new streamer and on the second cast hit this one.

I hooked another one a short time later but pulled the hook on him before i could land him. Then i spotted a carp mudding on the shoreline so i grabbed my six weight loaded with a back stabber fly. A couple of casts, a couple of strips and he is on.

In that deeper, cooler water they are like trying to lift a cinder block off the bottom but i finally got him in the boat.

I release him and go back on the prowl. Its starting to get warm and i think i better put another coat of sunscreen on when i spot what i thought was a small drum sitting in a circle of grass, looking like he is just sunning himself. I grab the rod with the streamer and let fly. He instantly is on it and turns out to be a spotted bass.

Ok, so if i want to catch bass, i need to go carp fishing.
I come across another carp and, after a long tug of war, bring him to the boat on the back stabber.

AS i am releasing him i look up and see a drum rooting around close enough to cast without having to reposition the boat. I still have the back stabber in my hand so i figure I'll see if he wants it... he did.

I wanted to try to get one more drum on the streamer because it was to much fun watching them hammer that big fly and the next fish i can across didn't let me down.

After that my arm had had it, it was getting hot i had to get ready to go to work so i head in. Sure funny how things work.

This is the streamer i was using. Its one i tie but i don't think the size or color necessarily mattered. But, in case your interested...

Posted By: Jesse10

Re: Mixed bag on the carp flats - 05/15/18 10:28 PM

That’s awesome! Almost like being at the coast. I don’t understand how you multitask as well as you do. Strong work.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Mixed bag on the carp flats - 05/15/18 11:11 PM

Awesome post Capt.. Thank for sharing. Ive been up in your neck the woods last couple of weeks catching whatever I can!

Re: Mixed bag on the carp flats - 05/16/18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Jesse10
I don’t understand how you multitask as well as you do.

From a distance it probably looks like a guy stumbling in circles around his boat with a lot of cussing mixed in. roflmao

Re: Mixed bag on the carp flats - 05/16/18 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
Awesome post Capt.. Thank for sharing. Ive been up in your neck the woods last couple of weeks catching whatever I can!

Thank you sir. Any pics?
Posted By: Capt. Brendan

Re: Mixed bag on the carp flats - 05/18/18 05:38 PM

How hard is it to pole that boat?

Re: Mixed bag on the carp flats - 05/18/18 06:37 PM

Depends on the wind. The boat itself is very easy to pole. But the higher the wind speed the of a challengeit becomes.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Mixed bag on the carp flats - 05/21/18 01:30 AM

coolphotos Awesome post! Good job. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum