Texas Fishing Forum

Sink leader on a floating line?

Posted By: Ft.Worth.Fisherman

Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 03:15 PM

Anyone fished this setup? I will be targeting smallmouth on a crayfish pattern and thought about giving it a try. Just curious what you guys thought.
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 03:18 PM

Sure, it can work great.

What kind of water are you going to be on?
Posted By: joabsher

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 03:35 PM

I have used them and have had success with them. The faster sinking ones seem to be more difficult to cast, but they can be very successful.
Posted By: Ft.Worth.Fisherman

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 03:39 PM

I will be on the buffalo river in Arkansas. Just wondering if it is even necessary or if I should just let the crayfish sink slow.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: joabsher
I have used them and have had success with them. The faster sinking ones seem to be more difficult to cast, but they can be very successful.

I'll echo this. I used Rio's versa leader for hill country white bass and it works really well, but don't expect to drop dimes from 80 feet away. It's basically a lob, pray, and plop game because the heavier leader creates a wicked hinge point. It's one time where you will want to open up your cast and form a big open loop.

Rio's Versileader works well for me and are available in a good variety of weights.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Ft.Worth.Fisherman
I will be on the buffalo river in Arkansas. Just wondering if it is even necessary or if I should just let the crayfish sink slow.

It can't hurt to keep a couple in your bag. If the flow rates increase in the river you're fishing, simply relying on the weight of the fly to sink may not be enough.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 04:39 PM

An all fluorocarbon leader will sink and won't cause any additional casting issues over and above an equivalent sized nylon leader. A fluorocarbon leader offers a mid point between using a floating nylon leader and going with a harder to cast sinking leader. I'd tie up a few fluorocarbon leaders just in case they offer enough sinking action.
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: MassAction
Originally Posted By: Ft.Worth.Fisherman

It can't hurt to keep a couple in your bag. If the flow rates increase in the river you're fishing, simply relying on the weight of the fly to sink may not be enough.

That's what I was thinking about, the flow rate. If you're in faster water, they can really be useful. That said, the Buffalo isn't exactly a ripping river, but I can think of a few places there that I might put one on. I always carry a couple with me just in case.

I don't know if you've ever floated the Buffalo before, but if you haven't, know you're in for a great trip. That river is absolutely stunning.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 04:56 PM

They work. A line that is actually designed as a sink tip is a better option.
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 06:46 PM

I keep a couple in my bag. They work for sure in certain circumstances, and they take up like no space and aren't expensive.

Carrying multiple spools/lines is probably better, but also a lot more trouble and expense.

The orvis poly leaders come in different lengths and sink rates, and they're like ten-fifteen bucks each I think.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 08:28 PM

I use a 5ft Airflow fast sinking, then tie on about a 4ft or 5ft fluro. (Invisx).
Posted By: ZachW

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/11/18 09:36 PM

I like them and find it way easier to cast a sinking leader than a heavy fly, especially if I'm putting on split shot.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/12/18 06:10 PM

This situation appears to be Ideal for the Micro Skagit application with sink tips. That method of casting is so ideal for big flies and sink tips.
Posted By: CodyDog

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 04/30/18 01:59 PM

I generally use a Rio sinking leader but prefer the shorter length for easier casting. I like no more than 7" in length.
Posted By: jscott1112

Re: Sink leader on a floating line? - 05/14/18 02:18 AM

I normally don't change reels/line that often when I'm on the water. I do add a flourocarbon leader/tippet when I want to drop below the surface a little bit and have a floating line on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum