Texas Fishing Forum

getting back into flyfishing

Posted By: railfly

getting back into flyfishing - 02/26/18 03:12 PM

I am brand new to the forum. Life's events happened to me and I've been unable to go fishing for awhile. I am working on getting back into flyfishing, mostly freshwater around the DFW area but do want to go to the salt in the future. Would like to meet more people who are like minded and wet a line somewhere. I am not a professional flyfisherman and I dont use 500.00 rods and reels. I'm just an average Joe wanting to flyfish.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: getting back into flyfishing - 02/26/18 05:35 PM

Welcome back to flyfishing and welcome to the forum. welcome
Posted By: Flying Fox

Re: getting back into flyfishing - 02/27/18 03:07 AM

welcome back
Posted By: karstopo

Re: getting back into flyfishing - 02/27/18 01:01 PM

You will be fine with your inexpensive gear. I do most of my fly fishing with relatively inexpensive fiberglass fly rods and see no need to get anything pricier, at least for the fish I’ve come across here in Texas.

Actually, none of it needs to be expensive. I’m using and liking $21 MaxCatch Avid line with my 5/6 CGR and MaxCatch 5 weight. Leaders can be homemade out of cheap monofilament. There’s tons of discount flies out there or potentially roll your own for even less.

The longer and more I dig into fly fishing, the more I realize there isn’t any need for expensive gear. Nothing against expensive gear, but it’s something I see as a luxury and not a necessity.

There seems to be a healthy number of perfectionists and a near constant emphasis in some circles on perfecting this or that in fly fishing. The cast, the perfect rod, reel, leader etc. Mostly I just yawn when I see or read that stuff these days. There is plenty of room in fly fishing for imperfect people, gear, and abilities and none of those traits or attributes will prevent someone from catching a lot of fish and enjoying fly fishing.
Posted By: railfly

Re: getting back into flyfishing - 02/27/18 05:36 PM

karstopo, I believe the same as you. You can make any sport or hobby as cheap or as expensive as you would like but all that matters is that you are doing something that you enjoy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum