Texas Fishing Forum

This dang fly fishing disease

Posted By: ARReflections

This dang fly fishing disease - 12/27/17 12:59 PM

Yesterday the temps were pretty cold at a local park that sees quite a few hikers. A pack fly rod, fly reel, nymph and a one mile hike to fish a small pond in hopes of catching something was the setup. I got quite a few looks from the few people hiking surprised to see someone fishing at such an otherwise odd time and remote location. I got 2 very small bream and was quite pleased. This fly fishing thing is truly a sickness! Anyone else as sick as I?
Posted By: karstopo

Re: This dang fly fishing disease - 12/27/17 01:15 PM

I’m pretty sick. I can’t walk very far, but can walk to the dock out back or far enough to launch a kayak or Jon boat. I’m doing one of three most every day even if it’s just for 10 or 15 minutes. Yesterday’s medicine was the dock right before dark with a nice bass taking a dark woolly bugger fished low and slow in about 4 feet of water.

Raining and cold here today. Today’s dose might have to come from behind the vise.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: This dang fly fishing disease - 12/28/17 12:26 AM

I fished Christmas morning in 21 degree weather. My family thinks I'm crazy but it was a good day of fishing and I had the river to myself. I was breaking in my new fly rod.
Posted By: ARReflections

Re: This dang fly fishing disease - 12/28/17 01:08 AM

Headed out again today scouting out a new location. Ran into a couple of garden hackle folks. I should start building out my fly rod blank.
Posted By: darkfly33

Re: This dang fly fishing disease - 12/29/17 09:50 PM

Sickness I do believe is putting it mildly. I've pondered if I just had and addictive personality and if Fly Fishing was just simply the conduit of that fruit. Don't for sure to be honest. There's something special about all the variables put together to make fly fishing what it is. It's simple yet effective. Fun but as challenging as you wish it. Consistent in the gratification it provides and yet offers and endless ocean of new unexplored pattern applications. There are tried an true fly patterns that just get the job done almost anywhere in the world if you like, but you can get into the weeds and find yourself in the jungle of tying super intricate application specific patters just for your personal preference. In relation to tournament bass fishing, it's just not that expensive. There are less moving parts and more connection to the fish than conventional. The species of fish available to "hunt" via ones fly rod are limitless. Sigh.... I could go on, but that would only reveal that my sickness has evolved into something much worse. Fly fishing is a beautiful endeavor to take up and take in.
Posted By: tx8er

Re: This dang fly fishing disease - 01/01/18 05:59 PM

Hi Folks, new guy here. Glad to be aboard.

It was a year ago today and I had recently turned 60. I asked myself what had I not yet tried, and myself answered Fly Fishing.

I landed a grand total of three fish in 2017, but have not had one single urge to pull my conventional gear out.

For 2018, casting lessons and some kind of craft to get me on the water.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all!
Posted By: RexW

Re: This dang fly fishing disease - 01/01/18 08:37 PM

I've got bad news if any of you are looking for a support group. The rest of us are pretty much already beyond hope...

Has anyone told you yet that you can save money tying your own flies???? roflmao

welcome

Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: This dang fly fishing disease - 01/06/18 12:12 AM

This is definitely not the right support group. We are more like enablers.......like hanging out in front of the liquor store while you try to kick the habit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum