Texas Fishing Forum

rod suggestion

Posted By: AvidOutdoors7

rod suggestion - 12/13/17 03:57 PM

Im looking to get a fly rod for trout and bluegill. I have a 5wt for bass thats just not as much fun to catch the smaller fish with. Im looking for a 1-2wt but I cant afford hundreds of dollars. Im looking at 120-130 at tops. Does anyone know of a a 1-2wt rod for about that? I have not been able to find one.
Posted By: pearow

Re: rod suggestion - 12/13/17 04:39 PM

I've got one; an RDP 7.5 foot 4 piece 2 weight. Never used. I built it to use but got sick; since I already have a redington 2 weight I need to sell this one. I can shoot some pics if interested; $130 shipped.-p-
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: rod suggestion - 12/13/17 04:42 PM

Cabelas has several on sale but not sure of those sizes as they are not that common to many folks.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: rod suggestion - 12/13/17 05:30 PM

I have the 2 weight Cabelas CGR.i got it when it was on sale, Cabelas has them all of the time.

It's a noodle for sure. I can't throw much with it or particularly far although I got some 10 dollar fly line on it and it's pretty poor. Reel is an internet cheapo. Whole rig is under $100.

But for bluegill out to 40 feet or so it's fine.
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: rod suggestion - 12/13/17 05:36 PM

Yeah, the CGR goes on sale fairly regularly for ~$75 or the featherlight 3/4 are the two cheapest ultralights I know of.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-CGR-II/2459266.uts?slotId=0

http://www.cabelas.com/product/WRIGHT-MCGILL-FEATHERLIGHT-FLY-ROD/2327869.uts
Posted By: RonL

Re: rod suggestion - 12/13/17 06:07 PM

Redington has a Trout Rod for $149.00 in two and three wt . Don't know how good it is but Redington supposedly puts out nice rods .

https://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/classic-trout
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: rod suggestion - 12/13/17 07:40 PM

Echo base is 89 for the 3wt, but doesn't go lower weight than that.
http://echoflyfishing.com/project/echobase/

Last years St. Croix imperial rods are half off right now at ~150 for the 2wt.
http://stcroixrods.com/shop/fly/imperial-fly-rod-series/
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: rod suggestion - 12/14/17 01:16 AM

Echo has the Carbon XL in 2 wt. It is $149.99.

http://echoflyfishing.com/project/echocarbonxl

I have the Carbon in 4 and 6 wt. They are pretty good rods.

That's just the rod not a combo.

I also have the base 3 wt. A nice rod at a cheap price. Fun with bream and I caught a 15" bass and it was a real hoot.
Posted By: joabsher

Re: rod suggestion - 12/14/17 01:48 PM

To echo j_hirn2's Echo Carbon XL suggestion, I have one of their 7'3" 2wts and it is fantastic, my #1 rod from March to October in the creeks and small rivers around here. Echo also has a lifetime warranty, so that's a plus.
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: rod suggestion - 12/14/17 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: pearow
I've got one; an RDP 7.5 foot 4 piece 2 weight. Never used. I built it to use but got sick; since I already have a redington 2 weight I need to sell this one. I can shoot some pics if interested; $130 shipped.-p-

You can't go wrong with a rod that Pearow built. He is a master of the art of fly rod building..... not to mention the fact that he ties flies, too.

JR
Posted By: jrod88

Re: rod suggestion - 12/15/17 02:05 AM

3wt rods are a ton of fun. I'd. recommend a glass rod if you're looking for more feel. I bought a Scott F2 earlier this year. A 3wt made of glass makes even the smallest blue gills feel like fighters. I fished little size 12 poppers and it was a blast.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: rod suggestion - 12/15/17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: split cane rod
[quote=pearow]
You can't go wrong with a rod that Pearow built. He is a master of the art of fly rod building..... not to mention the fact that he ties flies, too.

x2
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: rod suggestion - 12/15/17 10:06 PM

Thought I would bump this for Avidoutdoors . It’s in your budget and shipped to your house I would take Pearow up on that. I have a blast with my 7’6” three white I have caught 30 inch trout 6 pound stripers and Bass up to 9 pounds on it never underestimate the power of a little rod like that. When you do hook into a big one it’s a battle and like stated the little ones fight like crazy.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: rod suggestion - 12/16/17 07:42 AM

I have the two weight Cabelas CGR like Karstopo above. It's a fun rod, super short which makes it fun on small creeks and tight canopies. However, if I could do it over again, I would opt for a 3 weight because there are just far more (and cheaper) line choices available. The two weight really narrows down your selection significantly. I didn't like the friction reel seat initially, but I have found common ground with it recently and it hasn't let me down in several months. Still next time I would always opt for something with a locking reel seat.

The comments about Echo are spot on, great rods, great customer services, amazing prices. I'm going to get a 6 weight glass as soon as my budget allows for carp fishing the bayous here.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: rod suggestion - 12/16/17 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: MassAction
I have the two weight Cabelas CGR like Karstopo above. It's a fun rod, super short which makes it fun on small creeks and tight canopies. However, if I could do it over again, I would opt for a 3 weight because there are just far more (and cheaper) line choices available. The two weight really narrows down your selection significantly.

The comments about Echo are spot on, great rods, great customer services, amazing prices. I'm going to get a 6 weight glass as soon as my budget allows for carp fishing the bayous here.

I with you on the 2 versus 3 weight. There doesn’t seem to be many good choices out there for 2 weight lines.

I’m putting that Echo glass 6’ 9” 3 weight in my sights and an Echo B.A.G. 8’ Quick-shot in a 6 or 7 weight.
Posted By: TioPick

Re: rod suggestion - 12/22/17 04:07 AM

AvidOutdoors7 did you ever jump on the offer by Pearow? Or is that still available? I am interested but may have snoozed tgoo much to jump in in time. Merry Christmas from Paradise on the Rio.. Tio Pick
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum