Texas Fishing Forum

Dogs and Cats

Posted By: karstopo

Dogs and Cats - 12/01/17 02:28 AM

Before lunch, I was just about to pull the trigger on a salt water trip, but a lively north flow made me reconsider. The wind fell off about 4 and that was my cue to hit the lake in the flatbottom. I brought my landlubber dog Tate along. He does alright in the boat, but isn't crazy about my overhead cast. A tungsten bead hitting the aluminum does make an impressive thump. At one point, he's trying to climb over the transom. I really don't think a fly could even penetrate his fur but, nevertheless, I'm right there with reassuring words like "get back in the boat, you varmint" and "Sit, dad gum it" Tate settled in as low as he could get on the deck and as far away from me as possible. Smart dog.

In between my attempts at dog training I made a stab or two at fishing. My casting was a little off today, but if I got in a good cast near the shore, I had a good shot at getting a take. I only tried one fly, a size 6 tungsten beaded olive Woolly Bugger I tied Sunday. That fly brought 4 channel cats to hand and one healthy bluegill. No sign of the largemouth bass.

The wind went to zero and the day really ended as a picture perfect late fall day. Tate inspected the fish I caught and then would retreat back to his panic room. He's asleep at my feet happy to be home and safe from flying hooks. I'm glad we could get out and he'll get used to my casting.

Posted By: coolpix9

Re: Dogs and Cats - 12/02/17 05:08 AM

Dogfish or Catfish ?
Looks like a fun day
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Dogs and Cats - 12/02/17 11:23 PM

Went back for some more catfish, et.al. action. Friday before sunset it was more bass than cats. Today, more sunfish and my PB cat at 5.5 pounds. The only fly that worked today was a chartreuse and black bugger.

Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Dogs and Cats - 12/03/17 03:21 PM

I have two friends that take their dogs every time they go fishing. They are great company and love it when you have a fish on!
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Dogs and Cats - 12/03/17 04:26 PM

My black lab always goes fishing with me in the ponds. She has learned to only swim in the waters that I have fished and moved on from.

I'll move a few steps and then hear the splash back where I was....Marmaduke hitting the water.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Dogs and Cats - 12/03/17 06:24 PM

Great thread! woot
Posted By: coolpix9

Re: Dogs and Cats - 12/03/17 09:48 PM

Ready to Rumble
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum