Texas Fishing Forum

Bob Hall Pier

Posted By: fishernoob

Bob Hall Pier - 02/03/13 09:07 PM

Pulling in Pompano about 2-3 an hour. Large whiting all over the place. Nothing else caught. This morning till about 2p.m.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Bob Hall Pier - 02/03/13 10:14 PM

Nice compadre! Got any pics?
Posted By: back2fishing

Re: Bob Hall Pier - 02/04/13 09:08 PM

That is a good fishing day. Pompano are good eating and so are big whiting. Ice chest full of them?
Posted By: Somnipod

Re: Bob Hall Pier - 02/07/13 07:40 PM

I was down in the surf with the same luck. Caught and released DOZENS and Dozens of pompano and whiting... They were gone as fast as they came though - All on fishbites!
Posted By: fishernoob

Re: Bob Hall Pier - 02/08/13 08:14 AM

I would have taken pics, but my phone was stolen. Now I have some old phone with no camera.
Posted By: hugehail

Re: Bob Hall Pier - 07/14/13 09:22 AM

I live in Dodge City and I have always fished on the east coast on fishing piers. I would like to come down there fishing. From a brief look online it looks like Feb would be a good month to
catch whiting and pompano. Where were you when you caught all those whiting and pompano, was that corpus or galvestion? What pier would you recommend on the texas coast for whiting and what wind direction/speed is most favorable? In NC, the best whiting bite is when the water temp is between 59 and 68F, with 63 being about ideal. It looks like the water temperature at Galveston is around 63 in March and only about 60 in February.
Posted By: hugehail

Re: Bob Hall Pier - 07/14/13 09:24 AM

Oh I forgot to mention, in coastal NC, Whiting run in MUCH larger numbers in the evening after it gets dark. Is it the same way in TX? Which piers allow night fishing?
Posted By: mullets+minnows

Re: Bob Hall Pier - 07/14/13 02:20 PM

Whiting are present year round, but they collect in large numbers in winter and makes it easier to catch larger ones. Pompano also are present mostly in winter but they can be caught during the rest of the year.
A SE wind that is light(5-10 mph) is best for surf fishing and pier fishing. It pushes clear water up to the shore.You can catch whiting nearly anywhere on the texas coast, especially the surf and beachfront piers. Small fingernail pieces of dead shrimp on the bottom or fishbites in the shrimp flavor are best. Use a double drop rig or a Carolina rig with 2-3 oz surf weights and a 2/0 circle hook.
Edit: I forgot to mention that whiting can also be found in fairly rough and sandy conditions too, but pompano prefer clear water.
Posted By: SadSack

Re: Bob Hall Pier - 07/14/13 02:43 PM

Always wanted to try some pier fishing. Maybe have to go down to the coast and try it some day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum