Texas Fishing Forum

Mustang Island surf fishing 9-07 & 08-22

Posted By: TOO

Mustang Island surf fishing 9-07 & 08-22 - 09/11/22 04:05 AM

Much like Texoma's report.................................

Fished Mustang Island past Wed & Thurs most of the time of the falling tide. Beach/surf was as beautiful as can be, Bahama's like in water clarity, calmness, wind etc. Enough schools of finger mullet running the surf to expect predators to be hanging around

[Linked Image]

Thursday pic

Unfortunately that's about the highlite of the trip.

Wednesday: 1 nice trout probably 23-24", couple skippies, 1 whiting, 1 stingray
Thursday: 2 trout neither over 20", couple more Skippies, a hardhead

That's it for 6+ hours fishing each day. Got better at throwing a castnet after sucking at it a bunch on Wed.

For comparison; a fishermen came by, found out he caught a bunch of Pompano just a bit further down the beach, including the biggest Pomp I've ever seen, probably 4-5 lbs, easy. Using fishbites & dead shrimp. Said they were stacked along..................
Suspect water clarity & a falling tide had a lot to do with Pomps being where they were.

Awesome time on the beach but fishing was slow for what we were doing, but again great office view.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Mustang Island surf fishing 9-07 & 08-22 - 09/11/22 01:09 PM

That is flat, and I would think traffic has let up a little with school open. Finally rained out my way, bird hunting went from bust too wide open overnight. Could use some more though, almost dry again...
Posted By: tunatamer

Re: Mustang Island surf fishing 9-07 & 08-22 - 09/11/22 01:11 PM

Willie .... what are you throwing in the surf? Have you ever tried the TSL's rigged weightless? They're a real game changer.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Mustang Island surf fishing 9-07 & 08-22 - 09/22/22 02:54 PM

Nice post. thumb
Posted By: waitinforabite

Re: Mustang Island surf fishing 9-07 & 08-22 - 09/22/22 08:56 PM

I was at pins 2 Saturdays ago and conditions were the same. The surf was gorgeous-must have been millions of mullet along the entire beachfront. I didn't catch a single redfish or trout, only ladyfish. I was using mullet for bait and may have done better with shrimp, or anything besides mullet. Beach was gorgeous though!
Posted By: tunatamer

Re: Mustang Island surf fishing 9-07 & 08-22 - 09/23/22 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by waitinforabite
I was at pins 2 Saturdays ago and conditions were the same. The surf was gorgeous-must have been millions of mullet along the entire beachfront. I didn't catch a single redfish or trout, only ladyfish. I was using mullet for bait and may have done better with shrimp, or anything besides mullet. Beach was gorgeous though!

Next time try cutting up one of those skippies for bait. Reds love them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum