Texas Fishing Forum

Mustang Island surf & south jetty report 7-12 & 7-14

Posted By: TOO

Mustang Island surf & south jetty report 7-12 & 7-14 - 07/16/19 03:48 PM

The Good
Fished the surf on Friday the 12th. Topwaters in very nice conditions; no real waves, mostly cloudy NW wind. Hooked a lot of trout & a few Skippy's, lots of blow ups. Was able to get trout to throw the bait or they just came unbuttoned during the fight. Very fun morning trout were from bit undersized to 20"'ish maybe a bit bigger. Had a fun 20 minute window around 9 am, every cast was a fish, blow up, hook up, or "quick release". Guess about 14 trout total hooked up. First good surf topwater day this year. Just a fun morning.

The Bad
Fished south jetty for reds on the 14th. Fished hard for them, about as hard as can can do with the technique we were using and location. Kept my streak going not a single hit for me in almost 4 hours. Women folk again had the action, they ended up with a good hit, a red that destroyed the bait but didn't get hooked up, and one break off. All by the women. Found the right depth & stretch pretty late in day.

Happened again, Pretty Woman was asked to take over my rod, second pass (3 minutes?), boom, fish strike & miss (destroyed bait strike). Standing right next to her.

Conditions were good, everything pointed to more action than we had, but we take the slow like we do the good trips.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Mustang Island surf & south jetty report 7-12 & 7-14 - 07/17/19 01:17 AM

Nice read! thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Mustang Island surf & south jetty report 7-12 & 7-14 - 07/18/19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ledeez
Nice read! thumb

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: pop r

Re: Mustang Island surf & south jetty report 7-12 & 7-14 - 07/23/19 01:44 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum