Texas Fishing Forum

If you get a guide does the trip end

Posted By: scruboak

If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/15/17 07:27 AM

when you fill say striper limit for said lake .I think if I pay for 4 hrs you gonna give me 4 hours whatever I want to fish for.

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/15/17 07:33 AM

Reason I say this is I see guides on here say when limit is done we done. I want to take My daughter on trip of her life and want someone that wants to fill or give an honest effort at a trifecta.I know it's hard and almost impossible but that is the kind of trip I want for her and shes 20 plus so not a kid anymore sadly.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/15/17 12:00 PM

No sir, it shouldn't end but be sure and discuss this with the guide beforehand just to make sure you're both on the same page. If you want to fish for multiple fish species the guide needs to know so he can be equipped to do so.
Posted By: Gone Fishin'

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/15/17 01:03 PM

Lots of good guides post on the TFF. Check out the individual sections (Crappie, Striper, etc.) and you will see Reports posted from some of them. As mentioned above, ask questions of the Guide before hiring him/her, make sure they know what kind of trip you want, type fish you want to focus on, and make sure they understand you expect to fish a full trip. Good Luck and check us out at www.gonefishin.biz as we specialize in "family fishing fun". fish

Thanks!
Posted By: gborg

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/16/17 11:52 AM

Casey Armstrong that primarily guides on PK can fulfill that request. He is in my opinion the best guide on PK. Great at finding and ketching limits of sandies, Stripers, Crappie and he also placed third in the catfish tourney that had over 125 boats competing.
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/16/17 03:10 PM

Not slamming anybody. But the trend on Texoma, is that once your limit is filled, your done. I know that there are other guides there who will give you what you want, but you have to hunt for them and agree before the trip. Like everyone else said.
Posted By: 361V

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/16/17 03:20 PM

Took my father to PK years ago for a guided striper fishing trip as a retirement gift. Caught our "limit" very quickly and it was over. Guide even stated it was illegal to release legal fish and game wardens watch them from binoculars to see if they are releasing legal sized fish. All BS! We drove a long way to spend the day fishing...not to see how quickly we could throw a few fillets in the cooler. As stated above^^^^clarify before you go.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/17/17 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Hopper
Not slamming anybody. But the trend on Texoma, is that once your limit is filled, your done. I know that there are other guides there who will give you what you want, but you have to hunt for them and agree before the trip. Like everyone else said.

My Wife and I sent with a guide on Texoma several years ago. This guy had the personality of a boat oar. He went to his honey hole and it took 45 minutes to get our limit of "just made it" stripers. I had said something to the him before we left the dock about doing some top water but he said no right away. Well, I guess even Mr. Personality was embarrassed about the warp speed of our trip and we sent to throw some poppers. We didn't stay out the full 4 hours but I did catch my personal best small mouth.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/17/17 01:11 AM

understand the agreement BEFORE you pay,..!!!!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/17/17 02:24 AM

It's always best to talk with the guides before you set up a trip. I know on rayburn, for white perch, we left when we got our limit. Of course that was 125 and it took almost the whole 4 hours. I would think with a limit type fish that that's probably going to be what the trip is bases off of
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/17/17 05:48 PM

Talk to the guides. I don't guide much anymore due to my daughters rodeo schedule and work but when I take people out I try to stay out 4 hrs. If we got a limit early I will go scouting for new fish or go big fish hunting. Just let the guide know what your expectations are.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/17/17 08:17 PM

I hired Jacky Wiggins to take myself and 3 of my kids out fishing on lake Lewisville. He asked what we wanted to target in advance and I said anything to keep my kids happy. We went out and immediately ran in to schools of white bass. Once that bite died down we went for blues. Not once did he assume we were ready to wrap it up. My kids still call that day the best day ever with Capt Jack!!

Jacky Wiggins
http://www.ntxfishing.net
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/17/17 08:37 PM

If you get an inshore guide in southern Louisiana, it will end even if the guide catches your limit. Also, better hope LSU doesn't have an 11am kick.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/18/17 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: LearnedHat
If you get an inshore guide in southern Louisiana, it will end even if the guide catches your limit. Also, better hope LSU doesn't have an 11am kick.

Have had this experience before, also. But I wasn't paying for the trip.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/19/17 12:32 AM

I've never used or heard of a guide that quits when you limit out. It's ALWAYS been
half day or full day and you pay according.

I'm glad you brought this up as I'll be sure and watch for this in the future because I would
never contract with such a guide.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/19/17 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: JJ4MEL
I hired Jacky Wiggins to take myself and 3 of my kids out fishing on lake Lewisville. He asked what we wanted to target in advance and I said anything to keep my kids happy. We went out and immediately ran in to schools of white bass. Once that bite died down we went for blues. Not once did he assume we were ready to wrap it up. My kids still call that day the best day ever with Capt Jack!!

Jacky Wiggins
http://www.ntxfishing.net

Sounds like a good guide
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/21/17 10:25 PM

I went with a guide on Texoma a few years ago. It was understood that it was a limit or 4hrs, which ever came first. I got a limit about 1.5 hrs early. The guide said “well that is a limit, now we can go fish for fun”. We went to the back of a cove around some boat houses and fished for Small Mouth, catch and release for 1.5 hrs. He did not fish for striper at all, just helped me but when we started the Small Mouth fishing he fished and I was on my own. That 1.5 hours turned out to be the highlight of the trip.
Posted By: BigDave1

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/31/17 02:20 PM

Whenever I have hired a guide, it is understood we fish the entire time. If we limit we catch and release or go after another species of fish. Unless the party is ready to leave then we leave early. But the customer makes that decision not the guide. If it ain't that way then the beauty of this free nation says I can hire a different guide that agrees with my thinking! smile
Posted By: Mo

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/31/17 04:15 PM

All this need to be understood before the trip is booked.
Saves misunderstandings and hurt feelings

This has come up a few times with limits of Spec trout in Louisiana. In each case ,
we kept fishing , targeting redfish , catch and release.

good luck

MO
Posted By: fouzman

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 10/31/17 06:16 PM

They gotta get back to shore so they can catch a quick nap before the next group arrives for the afternoon trip. The faster they can limit out in the morning, the better the nap.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/01/17 01:57 AM

And you should tip accordingly as well? You tip will tell the guide something. Communicate before hand. I am paying for the time, whether we catching anything or not.

So if you don't catch anything in 4 hours is his fee reduced?
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/01/17 03:35 AM

Always ask before, but if that guide has a website that says 4-6 hours, or 6-8, or whatever the time frame is, I'm gonna make sure I get what I pay for. Also, be aware that if they need to clean fish you might have to come in a bit early, also, typically if you limit within the 4 hour frame, you'll usually quit closer to 4 hours than you will to six. some guides guarantee fish and are pretty good about rescheduling if the bite is slow.

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/01/17 04:39 AM

Only reason I asked is I see specific species guide trip and I have been on a few and its there is your limit goodnight.If anyone remembers I Think it was jimmy Puckett on tawokini and he was less than desirable guide bummed off of us all day . Had his own show at one time .Did Texoma one time and it was bad experience. So maybe my fault.Anyway I thank you all for your responses.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/03/17 04:22 PM

I believe on Texoma you have to keep every striper you catch, so once your limit is filled by definition you would have to quit fishing
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/03/17 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
I believe on Texoma you have to keep every striper you catch, so once your limit is filled by definition you would have to quit fishing

Now you have me curious. Could've sworn they just have a 'no culling' rule, but catch & release is ok. Gonna look.

*edit* yeah, it's simply a 'no culling' rule. Once the fish is in your box (livewell, cooler, whatever) you keep it. But c&r is ok.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/fishregs2.php?water=0723
Posted By: jbobo

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/03/17 10:35 PM

Yep Texoma is 10 fish with no minimum length and only 2 fish over 20 inches per person. Some guides keep smaller fish to get your limit and done. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. We all want our clients to take meat home and sometimes the smaller fish is all we can find. I Still stay out and c & r till the time is up unless the clients are done.
Posted By: RHP

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/07/17 02:27 AM

Catch and release.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/08/17 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted By: 04champ

Now you have me curious. Could've sworn they just have a 'no culling' rule, but catch & release is ok. Gonna look.

*edit* yeah, it's simply a 'no culling' rule. Once the fish is in your box (livewell, cooler, whatever) you keep it. But c&r is ok.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/fishregs2.php?water=0723

thanks for the correction!
Posted By: SAKS

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/08/17 02:34 PM

I don't really see a lot of striper guides put a time on the trip like a bass guide does. The problem with catch and release striper fishing is a lot of them die and if you have a limit you still can't keep it or cull like stated above and the game wardens frown on seeing a trail of dead fish around the boat.
Posted By: fray

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/11/17 01:32 PM

good info
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/13/17 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Hopper

We must have used the same guide, we drove 5 hrs from Houston while living there just to fish for around 45 minutes then we had nothing to do for the rest except sit around on the bank and watch boats pass us by. 1 spot , line would go slack on the fall etc...not worth the insane amount of money we spent
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/25/17 08:03 AM

When I take customers we fish the full 4 hours and sometimes a little longer. I don't watch the clock. I target what the customer wants to catch. Much of the time they will say they want to feel something tug on their line, so I target what is biting the best at that time. We may end the trip with 2 or 3 different species of fish in the boat, and that is fine with me. The customer is paying me for a 4 hour trip, and to show them where their best chance is to catch fish during that 4 hours.
Scruboak, if you would like to fish Whitney, Lake Waco, or Aquilla then give me a call. I will give you your moneys worth plus some.

Charles (817) 929-7636
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/26/17 05:44 PM

I take customers out at night for stripers during the colder month's. I usually fish for 4 hours or as long as the customer can stand the cold. Catching limits is not a problem. The old saying is "colder the better" and that is true. Cold water and cold nights produce great catches. We can limit out pretty easy in about an hour and then we just go "CATCHING" after that. I don't want to shortchange any customers. Normally during this time of the year I like to start at 7:00 PM and end around 11. If I go over a little bit it is because we are catching the [censored] out of them.

Under The Star's Guide Service
Joe Todd(940) 631-2036
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: If you get a guide does the trip end - 11/29/17 02:27 PM

Catch and release
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum