Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Winnsboro

Posted By: Haakdaddy

Lake Winnsboro - 09/12/17 02:46 PM

just moved into the area, looking at lake Winnsboro, any good fishing there?? Thanks
Posted By: RonL

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 09/12/17 04:19 PM

I got two brother that live there and they quit fishing lake Winnsboro years ago saying no fish but they didn't have a boat either . But there are lots' of great lakes within an hours drive from there . Lake Fork , Bob Sandlin , Monticello , Lake of the Pines , Lake Cypress . Way back in the 60s' when my family moved there Lake Winnsboro had a section called Taylors Little Horn and even had a bait shop there but we had tons of luck fishing that area and on around the peninsula up from the bait shop . Caught my first 5-1/2 lb. bass there . Now I live in W. Texas and I have to drive two hours just to find water and about six hours to find fish frown frown .
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 09/13/17 05:02 PM

Lake Winnsboro is a great little lake. Never crowded. Some really good fish. I have a place at Fork, but I fish there often. Along with Sandlin and Cypress. Don't forget Quitman and Holbrook.
Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 09/16/17 03:08 PM

Winnsboro is one of my favorite smaller lakes. As pointed out above there are several good ones. I really enjoy Holbrook too.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 09/16/17 04:27 PM

Can you run Winnsboro or is it stumpy?
Posted By: high planes drifter

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 09/17/17 02:17 AM

It is very stumpy on the west side of the lake where the public boat ramp is located. If you launch you will need to run parallel with the dam until you get to the far east side and then you can head up the lake. Be safe. Tight lines.
Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 09/17/17 02:58 AM

Totally agree with what hpd said above but I much prefer fishing the west side of the lake.
Posted By: Rducky

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 12/15/17 04:53 PM

Fished there three weeks ago started at the ramp and fished west side of lake shad were flipping in about 7' of water caught fish on square bill sitting close to the bank and throwing towards deep water. Also caught fish on square bill on windy points.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 12/17/17 01:56 PM

There are fish there, just like any other lake, one day you will kill it the next day you will bomb.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 12/17/17 03:29 PM

All wood county lakes are good. Winnsboro maybe the best with big bass. It can be very good at times.

I have ran a few trips over there and even did a TV program on it years ago and we did good. West side is good. Roberts Cove is my favorite but black neck cove on the east side is good also.

Up north has some very good spots. Be careful if you try and run the lake. Lots of big floaters in the center. Small path down the east bank is where most people run.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 12/19/17 11:23 PM

Winnsboro, Hawkins, Holbrook and Quitman, the Wood County grand slam.
Good advice from Mr Mitchell on Winnsboro.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lake Winnsboro - 12/20/17 01:25 AM

We got to fish it for about a half a day. Nice lake. LOTS of potential. Hopefully we will be bale to come back in the future and spend a long weekend there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum