Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Building Interest

Posted By: flyfshrgrl

Rod Building Interest - 09/07/17 01:14 AM

I am curious as to how many of you would be interested in a separate forum dedicated to rod building? The DFW Metroplex has lost three of its best rod building teachers in the last eight years, Norm Goheen, Col. John Bradford, and Malcolm Duke. I have some questions regarding rod building to which I cannot find answers. I do follow a rod building group on facebook, but I don't seem to find the help for which I am looking. Mud Hole just wants to sell me products, which drives me crazy, and Cody is a good customer of theirs. Some other businesses have given up their rod building aspect, such as J. Stockard. I thought I created a poll, but I can't find it, so I'm just curious.
Thanks!
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Rod Building Interest - 09/07/17 12:44 PM

I am starting to think about doing this as well. Check out Heavy Water Rods in Birmingham, AL. He claims he will beat Mud Holes prices.

www.heavywaterrods.com
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Rod Building Interest - 09/07/17 02:16 PM

I do it, but mainly just for myself. U can have a forum or watch U tube and become pretty good.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Rod Building Interest - 09/07/17 05:15 PM

I'm a fairly new builder myself, having started a couple years ago and built about 15 rods since then. Mostly for myself so far, and a couple of rods for friends.

I would love a good active rod building forum. The best I can find that is semi-local is hosted by a forum the competes with TFF, so i can't directly link it here due to TFF rules. That forum is fairly active, and a lot of good advice gets shared over there, it's "too-cool", if you know what I mean. I'm also a member of a few rod building pages on FB as well, a couple can get a bit elitist at times, but for the most part I just read and learn anyway, so people being asshats is just chalked up to FB being FB.

But yes, I would like to see JP add a rod building forum here so we could share info and get advice without a thread getting lost in the rod & reel section among the reel cleaning and repair threads.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Rod Building Interest - 09/07/17 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut
I am starting to think about doing this as well. Check out Heavy Water Rods in Birmingham, AL. He claims he will beat Mud Holes prices.

www.heavywaterrods.com

All I see there is a custom rod builder's page. I don't see any components or supplies for sale.

What keeps mudhole in business, and keeps me buying there, is their inventory. I've tried ordering from other sites/places, and mudhole has them all beat on availability of components. I don't want to order from someone who only has half or less of the 28 components I want in stock, then have to wait for the rest of it to arrive whenever. I like the fact that mudhole carries so much in stock, and their website readily tells me when something is out of stock so I can decide right then if it can wait, or if I want to alter my selection to something in stock right then. In my opinion, service like that commands a little higher price, and I don't complain about paying it even if my wife does. Also, their line of MHX blanks has served me well so far. Most of my rods now are on MHX blanks of various styles, and I can't complain about 1 of them.

FTU is an awesome resource, I hope Harvey didn't treat them too bad. I stop in their stores when in Houston and usually leave with far more than I planned on picking up. But even they kind of pigeon hole a builder with limited in-stock component selection.
Posted By: Larry M

Re: Rod Building Interest - 09/11/17 03:45 AM

I would for sure.
Posted By: Space

Re: Rod Building Interest - 09/18/17 03:01 PM

2coolfishing has a good rod building forum.
Posted By: Fishmeister54

Re: Rod Building Interest - 09/21/17 02:58 AM

Try "http://rodbuilding.org". Excellent rod building forum. Mostly all professional rod builders and they will answer any and all questions. They also have a link of reputable vendors to purchase your rod building components. Join the forum if you really want to learn rod building.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum