Texas Fishing Forum

Quieter lake for labor day weekend

Posted By: munawar

Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/21/17 09:50 PM

What would be relatively quieter (less crowded) lake near Plano for a newbie to go fishing on boat. Still takes me couple of tries to get boat on and off the ramp so I don't want to get in anybody's ways nor I wanna be in areas with dozens of jet skis all around me.

Thanks
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/21/17 09:54 PM

If there is a quiet lake on a holiday weekend it has to be the best kept secret in Texas.

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/21/17 10:12 PM

roflmao
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/21/17 11:08 PM

Limestone is pretty quiet. Far enough from Dallas and Houston.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 12:10 AM

I hear there are some lakes way up in Canada that don't have any lake fleas or wake board boats.
Might have to charter a float plane and fly in.
Sorry, that's all I got.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 12:39 AM

Ha. Last holiday before school starts. Every body will be out there getting that last bit of water time
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 12:45 AM

actually Lake Fork is not to bad, mostly just locals fishing, not a lot of wake boats on fork,..lol.
might see a few pontoons pulling tubes, and a flea here and there, but they will stay in the boat lanes and around the dam...public ramps are duel lanes,...
Posted By: H.H. Hipshot

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 01:17 AM

Munawar,

I would say any lake other than Lavon or Lewisville. I spent years boating on those two until they got so crowded and crazy. Lavon gets crowded but Lewisville gets dangerous.

Good luck and just stay aware and careful.

HHH
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 03:38 AM

Lavon is pretty decent for a beginner as long as you launch at 380
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 09:01 AM

I do not see real problem as long as you are not prepping to float the boat at the ramp.That is what gets people bent.
Posted By: Canoe-Yak Fisherman

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 12:15 PM

I fish most weekends including Labor Day (canoe and kayak). Launching early in the morning is one key to avoiding ramp crowd. Usually people are recovering their boats at various times throughout the day so not as big an issue. Advise people on post what is your ramp difficulty. Lining up trailer? Getting boat on trailer?...Etc. I'm sure their is plenty of help here. If it is backing up, just spend some time practicing in a quiet shopping center parking lot or your driveway. About 1 1/2 hours South of Plano near Hillsboro, Texas is Lake Aquilla, which is a COE lake, nearly all boats are fishing. Too many stumps, big sand bar, no lakeside services, pretty far from any major metroplex make this undesirable for many, especially jet fleas, cruising, skiing, etc.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 12:29 PM

Agree with Jim Sr. on Fork. Look at Coffee Creek as it has a small launching ramp right at the bridge. There is a small store at the ramp where you can get ice and a few other things if it is still open. It has a trail to run and is close to some good fishing.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 12:49 PM

Best advice. If you can, volunteer to work Labor Day Monday, in exchange for getting the following Monday off. I always volunteer to work the Memorial and Labor Day weekends for this reason.
Posted By: BODA

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 12:52 PM

don't sweat it, you'll blend in well with the holiday weekend crowd if you don't have it down and struggle to get in and out of the water. just do it sober and you'll be the exception
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 01:02 PM

Might try Ray Roberts or Texoma, and go where there is a big multi lane ramp. Then just commit to an outside lane on the ramp and do your thing. Like others said, do your prep and clean up before and after you take up the lane. Also you might try to go and get off the water early, then it will mostly be fishermen and more easy going type people. I don't really know about Labor Day though, never been to the lake on that weekend in my life, always dove hunting, which I say because that might knock the traffic down a little too, especially early in the day. In any case have fun!
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 02:40 PM

I would suggest Purtis Creek, out in Eustace.

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 03:20 PM

Wow, thank you all for awesome suggestions and encouragements. I'll do drive-by on suggested lakes and ramps, except for Aquilla (that's far just for drive-by).

As for working the ramps, my biggest problem is I cut to hard left or right so trailer just goes in circles. Second is my trailer is low so I can only use my side view mirrors for backing in water; might have to figure out those guides or bunks for it.

Thanks,
Munawar
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 04:02 PM

Jim Chapman/Cooper Lake---hardly anyone goes since there's not many LMB in it anymore.

Still decent for sandbass/hybrids/catfish.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 04:21 PM

maybe go to big vacant parking lot and practice backing skills then.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 06:13 PM

Quit trying to use the mirrors just turn and look over you right should to watch what is happening. Hand on top and turn the wheel opposite of the way you want the trailer to go. Also if you are in a truck drop the tailgate. Been pulling a boat for 40+ years and still cannot use the mirrors but I can put it in the garage with only 4" on each side.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 06:35 PM

Another way is looking at side mirrors and hand on bottom of steering wheel, move hand in direction you want the trailer to go. Take your time.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 08:50 PM

My advice would be to look for a Community Fishing Lake that will accommodate your boat. I don't know of any specifically that are near Plano but you can find a list on the TPWD website. Any lake wholly contained within a state park is considered a community fishing lake and they are all idle speed only. So, not jet skis or ski boats. That's what I would do. Tyler State Park and Cleburne State Park both have lakes that you can put a boat on. You just can't go faster than idle (no wake) speed.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: munawar
Wow, thank you all for awesome suggestions and encouragements. I'll do drive-by on suggested lakes and ramps, except for Aquilla (that's far just for drive-by).

As for working the ramps, my biggest problem is I cut to hard left or right so trailer just goes in circles. Second is my trailer is low so I can only use my side view mirrors for backing in water; might have to figure out those guides or bunks for it.

Thanks,
Munawar

Once you get turned and lined up with the ramp, jump out and put your tailgate down. Then you can see everything and as long as you keep it pretty straight you will be good.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 09:50 PM

Get it straight and drop the tailgate, makes life much easier!! Just dont leave it down and try to turn it, will ding up the top of tailgate real nice, ask me how I know@!
Posted By: boocat

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/22/17 09:52 PM

think muddy stumpy
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/23/17 06:50 PM

Stillhouse Hollow. Belton, TX
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/23/17 09:24 PM

Muenster?
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/23/17 10:54 PM

Pond Creek ramp on Ray Roberts is not to bad. Get there early and leave by noon. Should be OK. Probably won't be 1-3 boats there first thing in the morning.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/23/17 10:58 PM

Fishing at night is a good option.
Posted By: kickerkatcher

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/23/17 11:55 PM

Cedar Creek mid lake
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/24/17 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: kickerkatcher
Cedar Creek mid lake
You forgot the sarcastic
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/24/17 02:17 AM

Last holiday before school starts? Where? School has not started after Labor Day for many years.
Lake Conroe boat traffic has always slowed down on weekends before Labor Day. Labor Day will surprise you if you have been going all summer.
Posted By: Billy D. Clark

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/24/17 03:15 AM

I don't think there exists such lakes, plenty of people everywhere.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/24/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)
I would suggest Purtis Creek, out in Eustace.

X2

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/24/17 09:49 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/25/17 06:20 PM

Good Luck. Many of the lakes recommended above are good options. Like someone else said, I would practice your trailer-backing skills in a parking lot just to get the hang of it. Get some cones and try to hit your target. That way you'll be more confident when you get out there. Generally, people are willing to help out with some of the loading and unloading as long as the prep-work and post-work are done out of the way of others.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 08/31/17 11:13 PM

Any lake should be good this weekend because nobody has gas to run their boats....... noidea
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 09/01/17 01:40 AM

I do. 50 gallons in the boat and a full tank in the tow vehicle. I may actually have an enjoyable weekend on the water.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 09/01/17 01:02 PM

Get out there early
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 09/01/17 01:59 PM

When Backing think small corrections ,hands on bottom. 2cents
Posted By: varnoldi

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 09/01/17 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: munawar

Thanks,
Munawar

marine creek is a small lake , 10 mins from eagle mountain. wide ramp and the lake is "idle only" with little to no under water haz.

Larger lakes I have found the sweet spot for going to the ramp at 9am-10am and off the water by 4pm .
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 09/02/17 06:05 AM

I have a half tank in the boat but my tow vehicle is about empty. I was on Pool today, considering it was Friday on a holiday weekend, it was not very busy. Sower than a weekday evening. I'm thinking the gas problem that the idiots caused might be beneficial to many.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 09/02/17 12:13 PM

The farther out in the country, the quieter it is.
For instance, instead of going to whitney, go to Aquilla.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Quieter lake for labor day weekend - 09/03/17 03:26 PM

Graham lake.........
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum