Texas Fishing Forum

Minn Kota vs. Motorguide

Posted By: AQUA11

Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/02/17 03:41 PM

I have narrowed my search for a trolling motor I thought. I will not be using the link to my fish finder. Spot lock will be the primary function I am using. Are the two brands about the same or which is better? Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/02/17 04:27 PM

MINNKOTA
Posted By: Mo

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/02/17 04:29 PM

Anchor feature on Motorguide xi5 is excellent, I have had one for a couple of years.

My understanding is the current generation of Minkota is comparable( earlier versions
not so much)

I just fished with a guide in Connecticut , that had the Minkota , the auto deploy feature
is great , but is it worth the $$$$. ?

this probably doesn't help much. Sorry ,
Best advice is don't buy a used , first generation Minnkota and expect it to hold you to
a tight spot.

MO
Posted By: MyGreenOutdoors

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/02/17 04:36 PM

I think they are both very comparable. Motorguide won't cost you an arm and a leg though.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/02/17 05:28 PM

Minn Kota + 1
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/02/17 05:41 PM

I had a Tour 109 Motorguide on my boat for four years, recently replaced it with a Minnkota Ultrex, unbelievable piece or equipment! I have not had the Motorguide with their version of spotlock so I cannot offer a comparison.
Posted By: Little Mac

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/02/17 06:51 PM

I have the new Minn Kota Terrova & the spot lock is spot on. Holds my 22' pontoon even in fairly rough water
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/02/17 09:34 PM

MotorGuide... Had a an old MotorGuide Magnum 80# on my old boat ('97 Stratos 201 PE.) That thing was still running the day I sold it about a year ago. Never did a damn thing to it either. Have a 2012 Minn Kota Maxxum on my new boat... Biggest POS I've ever owned. Bout to rip it off and replace it with a MotorGuide
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/02/17 10:23 PM

I had an XI5 and liked it very well except for the deploy and stowing. Got my Ultrex at the first of the year and I never plan on owning anything else. MinnKota all the way.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/03/17 12:39 AM

Give David at shut up and fish a call. He can give you the pros and cons on them plus get you a good price
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/03/17 01:54 AM

Motorguide had all this going back in the 90's with the PinPoint motors. They followed any depth you set in, followed the shore line, would back track and lock on. They have been in the technology business of how this works much longer. When I get one it will be Motorguide.
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/03/17 02:18 AM

Grew up using Motor Guide....Had the Pinpoint....ALL I CAN SAY is Minn Kota is head and shoulders above them for the bracket which is integral part of any troll motor.

Have used Maxxum, Fortrex and now Ultrex and will NEVER go back to Motor Guide even though I use Lowrance and cannot connect.
No experience with Motor Guide Spot Lock but can tell you that Minn Kota is EXCELLENT. Used this spring at Falcon in 20+ MPH
wind and was able to sit over a brush pile and slay the crappie non-stop.

Just sayin....
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/03/17 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Motorguide had all this going back in the 90's with the PinPoint motors. They followed any depth you set in, followed the shore line, would back track and lock on. They have been in the technology business of how this works much longer. When I get one it will be Motorguide.

They may have started it but MinnKota has it about as close to perfect as you can get right now.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/03/17 02:51 AM

MK. More power, way better remote too. The new generation spot lock is great.
Posted By: UJC

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/03/17 11:50 PM

I have the old generation Terrova. The spot lock sucks. I've always been a MK kind of guy for whatever reason. But my next TM will be the MG Xi5. I have taken a test ride (thanks Blue Nitro) and it's spot lock works, unlike my Terrova. It will be my next TM for the simple reason it's anchor feature works and it will communicate with Lowrance, which I have.

I haven't personally seen the newer MK models but they have had years to redeveloped what they should have gotten right the first time. So I will just have to accept the fact MK's spot lock will work as advertised.

For me, these are the considerations between the two.

1. Does it communicate with your FF? If this doesn't matter to you then you're open to either one. I want to communicate, so it's MG for me.
2. Do you want/need auto stow and deploy? If yes, then MK is your only choice.
3. Do you want to operate with a remote and/or foot pedal? Both units have these. If you use the foot a lot (I don't) make sure the foot pedal of the TM fits your style. If using the remote, which I do, then MK's remote is superior to my chagrin. MK has a display screen, MG doesn't.
4. If $ is a concern, MG is less expensive. You will just have to consider if the cost difference for MK for the remote display, and stow/deploy feature is worth the price difference.
5. Noise hasn't been mentioned. I don't know about the new MKs but the MG is a whisper compared to the MK Terrova I have.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/04/17 06:45 PM

One is more noisy than the other. Guess which one?
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/04/17 06:57 PM

I changed from a MG to a Minn Kota about a 5 months ago. I have the Ulterra. With a 60 inch shaft on my champion 202. I have fishing in 25 mph winds and the spot lock kept me within 5 feet of the marker buoy. It took awhile to figure out how to set the spot lock so it wouldn't throw you out of the boat when it adjusted for drift. But once i figured it out i wouldn't have anything else. Also the auto deploy is great when launching the boat. I just back it in let it drift out and hit spot lock. I haven't had to swim after it yet. But i am sure there will be a day it happens.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/04/17 09:43 PM

HERE WE GO AGAIN! roflmao I have in the past and do currently own both. I have had less issue with the Motorguides, but I will say that the X5 does not seem as tough as the Tour edition. Motorguide customer service has been 10 times better than Minn Kota. If you own a Minn Kota just pray it doesn't go down or you better have a good spare to use. I buy Motorguide because after being told that Minn Kota would not replace, but only fix my new trolling motor after the head fell off due to a poor design, I figured to Heck with them. The head fell off 3 times in 6 months and every time it was down for 6 weeks minimum. One time it lasted less than one outing. I believe that they are better now because I own a coulple that have been given to me and they have not had the same issue. I say all that because all electronics will have issues. Its how you are taken care of after the sale that can make or break my opinion of your product.
Posted By: MrYby

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/06/17 02:14 AM

Had both.
Minn Kota now.
Nuff said
Posted By: boocat

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/06/17 12:43 PM

just a little more fuel for the fire
https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/selection/86961159-minn-kota-vs-motorguide
Posted By: 9094

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/06/17 03:08 PM

There is a reason why Minn Kota owns 70% of the market.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/06/17 04:34 PM

What kind of trolling motor have you been using? Reason for asking is power button location. I fished MG all my life with power button on right side of foot pedal. When purchased current boat it had MinnKota and power button is on left side of foot pedal. Tried the MinnKota for 6 months and just could not get comfortable with the power button location.
Posted By: TXanalogkd

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/07/17 09:22 PM

I've had my MG for 16 yrs with no problems.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/07/17 09:29 PM

I've owned 5 boat in the last 25 years, all with MotorGuides. Not one of them has ever given me an issue or problem which is why I went with the X5i on my latest purchase. I imagine one of these days I'll try a MK but for now I have no complaints with what I'm using.
Posted By: J2H1

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motorguide - 08/10/17 10:01 PM

I have had both. I have never needed any repairs or parts for the Motorguides but had to buy circuit boards and other parts and repairs on Minnkotas.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum