Texas Fishing Forum

Launching Boat by yourself

Posted By: plk1122

Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 07:39 PM

Hey folks,

I recently upgraded to a 1860 CC boat (previously 14ft jon boat). At the moment I still launch it the way I did my smaller boat, which is to get out and push it off the trailer then pull it up to the bank then go park the truck. This method worked for the jon but I think a better technique is in order. Should I stand in the boat and back it off the trailer? For some reason I do not wanna stand in it while on the trailer (not sure why).

YouTube videos show people attaching a rope to the trailer and pulling their boat to shore with that (when pulling out (of the water)). What do you all recommend?
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 07:43 PM

You do what works for you.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 08:02 PM

I agree with ChuChu1.

Here's what I do, I attach a 50 foot rope to my boat and the winch strap, back in, let it float and ease back up to the ramp. I have a glass boat with a keel guard so it works well. One thing to note, do not have the winch strap in the release position, let me just say it is from experience.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 08:20 PM

I back in till the boat is floating, then board the boat (Step from tailgate to trailer, trailer to boat). I leave a fair amount of slack in the winch strap, but don't unhook it until both feet are in the boat.

It only takes one time of watching your boat drift away to learn that!
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 08:30 PM

I usually back down until the back of the boat starts to float. Put in park and set E-brake!!!. Climb onto rear tire and into the bed of my truck then over the tailgate and onto the trailer. I will unhook the winch and trailer safety cable. Climb in the boat and crank the engine. I will then back off the trailer and either beach on the bank depending on terrain or tie up at the dock. Get back in the truck and park it.

I will say this. Don't get in a hurry!! That is what will get you into trouble whether unloading or loading the truck. Too many things to forget or that can go wrong when rushing. Everyone else can wait and if they get mad then they get mad.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 08:30 PM

So your boat is floating when you step in it? You the back if off and beach it nearby?

How do you pull in your boat just fast enough so you don't hit the boat ramp to hard. Practice?
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 08:38 PM

You will develop a routine when you launch and recover the boat alone. It will work well. Then one day a well-meaning companion will attempt to assist you. You will overlook one or more procedures because your routine was broken.

Do what works for you, but do it the same every time; tell the well-meaning assistants to back off and let you do it alone.

I used to leave the winch strap hooked up and back it in until it floated. Unhook the winch strap and back it off the trailer. You will quickly learn how far to back in on recovery; drive up on the trailer with the bunks high enough to center the hull (many ramps prohibit power loading) and hook up the winch strap, then pull it and tie it down out of the way in the parking lot.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
I usually back down until the back of the boat starts to float. Put in park and set E-brake!!!. Climb onto rear tire and into the bed of my truck then over the tailgate and onto the trailer. I will unhook the winch and trailer safety cable. Climb in the boat and crank the engine. I will then back off the trailer and either beach on the bank depending on terrain or tie up at the dock. Get back in the truck and park it.

I will say this. Don't get in a hurry!! That is what will get you into trouble whether unloading or loading the truck. Too many things to forget or that can go wrong when rushing. Everyone else can wait and if they get mad then they get mad.

Ditto. And I am generally as fast or faster than others on the ramp. I am serious about never having folks waiting on me.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 09:38 PM

I was taught to reload on to the trailer by first backing trailer completely in where water comes over the fenders this should get all the carpet on the bunks wet. I will then pull up until the fenders are a few inches out of the water. This should allow the boat to slide easier onto the trailer. Of course every ramp is different depending on the grade as to where the fenders need to be.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 09:47 PM

Every ramp is different. I usually do what is mentioned above, but I have never used a rope. Sometime I have to push it off just enuff, but I always get in and back it off. Occasionally I dump my boat and park. Of course under the right conditions.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 10:14 PM

For some reason, i feel my current technique isn't "proper". It was fine for my little jon but now (i feel) i have a legit boat and should unload it legitimately. It also doesn't allow me to let the engine warm up to long unlike if i was able to dock it and let it idle until i I came back from parking the truck.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 10:22 PM

I unhook the winch strap, clip my bow line onto the winch stand, back in till the boat floats off the bunks. I then unhook the bow rope, climb in the boat, start up, back off trailer and tie up to dock. I sometimes leave the motor idling sometimes not. Then pull the trailer out and park it.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 11:30 PM

I fish solo mostly and don't like people waiting on me as I don't like to wait. I also pride myself in being faster than most with partners. I keep about an 8' rope with both ends tied in a loop. While getting everything ready I use 1 loop to attach rope to foot of trolling motor by sliding rope through loop and cinching it up. I then lay excess rope on bow and drop other loop at end over or around something on trailer. I've used winch crank, winch, pipe above winch, etc. I then back up (unhook your strap at your judgement of ramps, but needs to be unhooked by water entry) - so backing up I just go slow until I notice back end start floating and then usually another 1-2' depending on boat until bow slides back past roller. I then set truck brakes and climb in boat via trailer, start boat motor, back up, used same rope to tie off to dock. Let it idle while I park truck.
My exception has been when I had motors that were stubborn to start. In those situations, I would just lengthen rope to 20-25' depending on boat length and back up and pop it off where it floated back past end of trailer. Get out and just pull boat to the side and tie off.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 11:33 PM

When the water is warm, I just back in until the fenders go just under the water. Boat is still sitting on bunks. Walk to boat climb in , start motor and use the engine to back off then drive it to where I am going to park it and walk back to the truck. I don't leave a motor running on an unaccompanied boat. Plenty of time to warm it up later. To load boat reverse the procedure except the top of the fenders are just out of the water and drive on. It will stop just before seated and then just enough power to seat it against roller. Have engine tilted as much as possible removing and loading.

In winter, tie a long rope on and back it until it floats. Bump the gas to push the boat back and pull the trailer a couple of feet forward. Once rope tightens and boat starts back to shore, pull it by hand to where you want to dock then park truck. The only tricky part for me is loading. I have a suburban so I have to carefully climb around the bumper and jump to stay dry. Some waders would solve that issue.

No reason to worry about standing in it while on the trailer. It is more stable than when floating
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/18/17 11:57 PM

If no one is at the ramp. Take your time and do it how ever you want. If ramp is busy, undo winch strap, back down and hit the brakes. Get a ride to your boat.
Posted By: Don Collum

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 12:00 AM

[quote=Jim Ford]You will develop a routine when you launch and recover the boat alone. It will work well. Then one day a well-meaning companion will attempt to assist you. You will overlook one or more procedures because your routine was broken.

Do what works for you, but do it the same every time; tell the well-meaning assistants to back off and let you do it alone.

This is excellent advice or warning or headsup.
Posted By: txshotgun

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 12:23 AM

I actually took a page from the flying crowd. I have a laminated check list for loading and unloading. Starts at hooking trailer to truck- chains, straps, lights, jack up, tires checked, etc...
I really don't want to ever forget the plug or something that will get me on youtube's "boat ramp follies".
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71

X2
Been doing it this way since before most boaters I see out there were even born.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
If no one is at the ramp. Take your time and do it how ever you want. If ramp is busy, undo winch strap, back down and hit the brakes. Get a ride to your boat.

Seen that happen once--------------------or twice:)
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 02:28 AM

I keep rubber boats in my truck just for loading and u loading my boat for when the water gets cooler. I fish all year long mostly solo.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 03:49 AM

x
Posted By: russcue1

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 04:26 AM

Agreed with others. Do what feels right and don't let other helpers ruin your routine. They can help with loading the boat but I always do the straps, motor wedge and plug myself. Highlight the plug... I launch my 24 foot bay boat alone often and tie a rope to the bow cleat and leave about 6 feet of slack with a loop around trailer post. Back in until it floats. Because my boat is a bit on the heavy side I don't undo the winch strap and safety chain until the trailer is in the water, but I never get wet! I can launch and recover faster than most duos but just don't be in a hurry. Once you get a system it's second nature.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 08:52 AM

I suggest you consider not disconnecting the winch strap until you are comfortable with the boat coming off the trailer. I've seen several boats do so before the trailer got to the water with it, and it wasn't pretty. The driver can't react instantly to bring the vehicle to a stop. The boat ends up getting pushed on the ramp surface with a very nasty grinding sound. I may adjust mine with some slack before I back down, but I never flat-out disconnect it because of seeing boats slide or tip off the trailer before reaching the water.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 10:16 AM

I hate doing it by myself but long rope strung to cab and float it and tie off.Park start go.I always carry water boots for shallow incline ramp for loading.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
This has become an issue for me, and only at flat ramps or during high water. But it seems the ramps at Grapevine all have this problem. I can no longer just let the boat float loose from the bow and let the strap keep it on the trailer. I have a camper top on my new truck and can't step to the boat without wading knee deep. I also don't wear shorts like I used to. I fish alone the majority of the time so this is becoming a problem. I think I'm going to buy a z-launch cord and launch that way. Lakes where I'm launching next to a dock are easy... I just drop the power poles and let the boat sit beside the dock.

Look up z-launch on YouTube and you'll see how it works
K.D.Remember me?You sold me a Tan Venture Outdoors one man pontoon that I caught a lot of Crappie with until I purchased a bigger boat.Thanks again for getting me off the banks. thumb I use to have that same issue until I saw a video of a Guy on Youtube use a 10'Rope/ Cord with a carabina clip on each end.He would unstrap his boat before he backed down the ramp and attach one Carabina clip to the Bow strap hitch on the boat and the other end on the Trailer front post. When he backed his vehicle down to the water the momentum would cause the boat to disengage and float. He would then pull his vehicle up the ramp enough to get the trailer out of the water,with the cord attached,gather the cord and pull the boat back to the ramp,PowerPole it,go park then come back and board his boat without ever getting his feet wet.I saw the Z-Launch cord video and made a version myself with a little help from Home Depot.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 01:07 PM

If I'm alone, I only launch where a dock is close by. I'm too old to monkey climb from the tailgate and jump over my boat railing.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 03:09 PM

I launch and fish solo often.

My additional suggestion for this thread is to start the outboard before disconnecting the winch strap and floating or driving the boat off the trailer.

More than once I've seen a surprise dead cranking battery/no gas/etc. that has or could have messed up launching with winch strap unhooked or boat already floating off trailer.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 03:32 PM

I agree, its risky putting it in the water without knowing 100% your motor will start. My little jon i would push it off and beach it by hand, when i came back, would use the trolling motor to get me off the ramp then start pulling away until the old '71 evinrude would start. This technique was very fast.

I like beaching it on the ramp because it saves time versus driving it off the trailer and having to go park it somewhere but you are able to start the motor before your off the trailer.

I think i will recruit the wife to come help me a few times to see what technique feels better. I can tell right now i'd be nervous about roughing up the boat using the trailer rope technique.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 05:11 PM

Steps and a boarding pole are very nice for this very topic.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: plk1122
Hey folks,

I recently upgraded to a 1860 CC boat (previously 14ft jon boat). At the moment I still launch it the way I did my smaller boat, which is to get out and push it off the trailer then pull it up to the bank then go park the truck. This method worked for the jon but I think a better technique is in order. Should I stand in the boat and back it off the trailer? For some reason I do not wanna stand in it while on the trailer (not sure why).

YouTube videos show people attaching a rope to the trailer and pulling their boat to shore with that (when pulling out (of the water)). What do you all recommend?

I hook a rope to my bow and hook the other end to the eyelets in the back of my trk. The boat is not going anywhere but off the trl. and then I tie it up to the ramp fix'ins. Front and back....Getting it out of the water is rougher for me.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 07:02 PM

Float boat, un hitch, back off trailer, and park boat..... It's not hard.
Posted By: CBoone

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Float boat, un hitch, back off trailer, and park boat..... It's not hard.

This. Don't over complicate it.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 07:32 PM

Don't get in a hurry, but be efficient. I don't mind waiting for someone to launch/load by theirslf if they seem to know what they are doing.
It's guys that don't have a clue are a little hadr to watch, or the guy that waits to get his boat backed down, and then decides to load his goodies...
Be safe most of all. fish
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/19/17 09:47 PM

When I am fishing alone , I use a 25 foot shock cord (bungee cord) with a hook clip attached to the bow eye of the boat and the other end secured to the boat trailer (with a carabiner clip), I have a pole with steps on the front of the trailer so I attach it to the pole. I back the boat and trailer into the water until the boat floats then step on the brake to help the boat off the trailer... when it has floated off, I pull up and the boat will slowly follow...the shock cord allows some cushion , I then get out and pull the boat to the dock or shore. I used to use a rope but after an early morning swim one day when the rope snapped as the boat hit the end as it was hung on the trailer...I modified to a shock cord. I use 25 feet as I have a 20 foot boat and with the stretch of the shock cord it can float free and have plenty of room to maneuver around the trailer. The trailer steps for getting out of, or into the boat while on the trailer are great to have especially if you are older like myself...makes getting out of the boat when you are loading easy and without worrying about footing.. I am sure you will figure out what is comfortable to you.
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/21/17 05:07 PM

If possible, back in, unhook the wench, crank it up and back off. I used to use the rope technique until one time when it was 30 degrees I did that and then the motor wouldn't crank....had a helluva time (and cold) getting it back on the trailer again.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/21/17 07:10 PM

I'm going out this evening. I will try to back it off the trailer and see how it goes. I can definitely see the downside of using the rope technique. Yesterday I left a switch on and drained my battery pretty good to where it wouldn't start. Lucky it was at my house and not the ramp.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/22/17 02:52 PM

Most important take your time , have a routine . I fish alone all the time no problem.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/22/17 03:45 PM

Rope from cleat to door of truck all else unhooked its a johnson it will start .
Posted By: 361V

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/23/17 02:02 PM

At Squaw Creek you are expected, no required, to back down quickly so your boat floats off the trailer with enough force to drift out into the middle of the cove. Then you go ask for a ride to your boat from someone. At least from the few wannabee pros that own the lake.... stir
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/23/17 03:00 PM

Get in it and crank the big engine and take it off the trailer. beach it or tie it off. Shouldn't take more then 2-3 minutes if that long! I can drive down the boat ramp back up and launch my 19ftboat, beach it and drive back up In 5 minutes or less IF nobody is in my way! The main thing is have everything in order BEFORE you drive down to the ramp! It really ticks me off when people block up the ramp putting stuff in their boats down by the ramp! Do it before in the parking lot!
Posted By: 9094

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/23/17 08:10 PM

Easy with my Ulterra. I just shoot it off the trailer, use remote to drop trolling motor and get it out of the way and put on spot lock. Park truck walk down and call it over to me.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/24/17 05:07 PM

frkazoid
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/24/17 09:06 PM

are people being serious about just letting your boat slide off and float away, and then have someone take you to it?

I use the 50 foot rope and let it slide off, then pull it over to the side. almost as fast as having 2 people. sorry if you're behind me on the ramp and I take a minute or 2 longer; maybe you should have arrived a little earlier.
Posted By: TripletsFish

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/24/17 10:23 PM

As a boat newbie, myself, when I see someone launching alone, but it looks like they are trying to hurry, I cut them slack. If I launch before my partner(s) arrive, I go to an outside lane, ease it into the water, tie up, park quick, and hustle back down.

I try not to go out by myself. For me, fishing alone is as sad as drinking alone. When I find myself in either situation, I contemplate my place in the universe.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/24/17 11:59 PM

Yes they are being serious. Those are the tournament fishermen. I'm with you. Not going to happen in my boat. They only need to wait a minute.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/25/17 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Yes they are being serious. Those are the tournament fishermen. I'm with you. Not going to happen in my boat. They only need to wait a minute.

This is ridiculous and advised but others who didn't pay for YOUR boat. On Texas lakes with Texas winds? No way. I launched at Possum Kingdom by myself a while back and the waves and wind would have pushed my boat onto the rocks within minutes if I just let it float off. I pay the same amount for the tournament as every other Bozo out there.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/25/17 02:19 PM

You guys would get stoned at Squaw Creek in the winter. roflmao
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/25/17 02:42 PM

3 minutes is all it should take .... 5 minutes or more is too long.
Posted By: whybass

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/25/17 11:26 PM

i simply slack my winch off to let the boat slide back a few feet then pull up and go unhook strap crank up and park the boat then truck. we have a lot of shallow ramps on rayburn
Posted By: BODA

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/26/17 12:55 AM

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, if you're a slow poke don't take up the whole ramp. Anybody who gives you grief should be reminded that if it is that big a deal they could have gotten out there earlier.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/26/17 09:58 PM

Well I went with my wife last week. I used the back if off the trailer technique which worked pretty well. It was easier with someone there to go park the truck and would take longer by myself. There was a guy there who was unloading sametime as me, he did it in about 3/4 the time I did (and he was by himself).

FYI I think it would take 3 min just to walk from your boat to truck, park it, then walk back to your boat.

Also, i suck at loading the boat, I grazed the boat dock trying to load it on the trailer. If anyone is ever bored, I can sure entertain you with my fishing trips, 1st time is free.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/28/17 11:32 AM

I gave advice on this thread like I knew what I was doing. This past weekend, I launched at a new launch that was pretty steep. Backed up to same depth as always and before I got out of the truck, the boat was sliding down the trailer. I tried to hustle, but it was gone floating before I could catch it - lol. Luckily it was in the back of a very narrow cove and I was able to walk 30 yards and just hop in from the opposite shoreline. Stuff happens, don't panic and the crazy stuff makes great stories to tell.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/28/17 03:55 PM

Glad you didn't have to go swim for it.

So yesterday I get everything ready to go fish all day at Somerville since I am off and run the moor for a few minutes to make sure it will start. I arrive at the ramp and it is pretty windy so I chicken out and launch the boat my old way by pushing it off the trAiler and pulling it to the shore. Go park, come back to go fish and what do you know, my battery is dead! I'm not sure why (when it worked 14hrs ago) but it would not start. If anyone was there you would get to see me wade out and struggle to get my boat on the trailer. It's hard to pass up my free entertainment lol worst thing is I couldn't drink my beer on the water which I was looking forward to.
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/28/17 04:13 PM

I had to load my RT188 because of a dead battery a few months ago. used the 50' rope that I use to launch and pulled the boat onto the trailer as far as I could. then I tied a loop in the rope and hooked the winch strap onto the loop and winched it up another 3' or so. tied another loop and winched in up another 3' or so. continued this process until I got in loaded, all without getting my feet week.

FYI, now I carry a little portable battery jump starter; works great on my merc 115 (and on 2 different 6 cylinder cars as well). everyone should have one of these little items.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/28/17 04:37 PM

where did you get the battery jumper from, walmart? academy? what brand?

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/28/17 10:51 PM

I will tell you that I've loaded dozens of times with trolling motor. Back trailer in a little deeper, drop trolling mitirand get you a good straight on head start. I usually do it by holding TM by rope just below surface. About 5' before nose gets to trailer, I just pull up TM and coast onto trailer. Get out winch up 2-3' at most, lock strap and go. Very easy to do and no swimming.
Posted By: j791

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/29/17 01:45 AM

I have an 18ft CC glass boat. I drop my truck tail gait which helps back the boat into the water. I back the boat until the boat rear begins to float, you don't have to but it makes it easier to get it off the trailer when you put the boat in reverse. To get to the boat, simply step on the rear tire, walk to the tail gait, and sit on the tail gait which is already down. Loosen the winch strap and unhook the boat, you may have to reach a little while standing on the trailer tongue to reach the trailer hook. This way you can take the trailer hook off and wrap it around the trailer so it does not hang loose. Next, step back up on the tail gait and step from the tail gait to the boat. Then just drop the motor and back out.
Posted By: j791

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/29/17 01:47 AM

Re. PLK - My motor died on me just a few weeks ago. I backed the trailer in and then used my trolling motor to power the boat. Right before I reached the trailer I quickly pulled the tolling motor up and the boat floated on...then just attached the winch hook and winched her tight.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/29/17 01:54 AM

it doesnt really matter what you do ---i understand when someone is alone and i will be patient --AS LONG AS YOU TURN YOUR HEADLIGHTS OFF WHEN YOU BACK DOWN THE RAMP !
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/30/17 10:20 PM

22' Majek Extreme center console/ 225 Merc Pro XS

My method- Loosen up winch strap to where there is a good 2-3ft of slack. Back down in the water and hit the brakes and keep backing until it floats off.. Get in boat, start motor, unhook winch, park boat, park truck, go fishing.

Warning- I've been doing this method for a long time even on the old bass boat I sold.. However, I was putting in up at Houston County Lake on Friday, and when I hit the brakes and the boat came off, the winch strap broke and my boat started floating off. I quickly got out of the truck, ran down the dock, and made a solid 5-10ft jump into the boat.. It was funny as hell (people were watching) but scary too. Just make sure your strap isn't dry rotted like mine was
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 07/31/17 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V
At Squaw Creek you are expected, no required, to back down quickly so your boat floats off the trailer with enough force to drift out into the middle of the cove. Then you go ask for a ride to your boat from someone. At least from the few wannabee pros that own the lake.... stir

At Squaw??? Ive never heard anyone whine about anything like that. I'll load & unload my boat ANY way I please. I paid for MOST of my boats,not them!! Im usually not on the ramp long. They shoulda got there ahead of me if they dont like it. I'm older now & dont move as fast as I used to. I've paid my dues (as many on here have) on ramps before a lot of them were even born. They aren't any faster than we were, when we were their age. Their times coming. When alone at a busy ramp before tournament, Ive actually asked one of the other guys if they'll pull my pickup & trailer up off ramp while i tie boat up at courtesy dock. Eveey single time someone has said "No problem". They just pulled up & left it on side of road to parking area. Took em 30 seconds maybe & it was very appreciated by all. LOL
Just load & unload your boat at ramp as YOU see fit. The key is being efficient in a routine. You'll be fine.
Posted By: Chris Webster

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/01/17 09:45 AM

Yes,it depends on what is workable with you.
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/02/17 06:09 PM

Loosen Strap about 5 turns, back up until the boat floats, unhook as I am getting in the boat (which is still on the trailer). Start motor Drive to dock or shore depending on the area. Tie up boat, get truck and park. Sounds like a lot, takes less than 5 min.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/03/17 02:32 AM

Launched my boat by my self @ Squaw , was in the boat , courtesy dock was full with bass boats , no one in them , bunch of guys on the dock talking . Went on the other side beached my boat , parked on the hill came back down still small crowd on dock . I did notice a few boats floating . Lots of Pro's out there I guess .
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/03/17 10:40 AM

5 pages on how to launch a boat. Interesting
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/03/17 02:28 PM

I'm wondering why I always get stuck behind the guys that back down the ramp and then prep for launching. I wish everyone could launch in 5 minutes or so.
Posted By: DWC55

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/03/17 07:11 PM

I have a fifty foot rope in my boat. If there is a courtesy dock beside the ramp I tie the rope to the cleat on front of my boat on the side towards the dock and back boat off trailer just like someone was in it. Let boat float back until you can pull trailer out without hanging rope ( have done this a time or two) and go park your truck. All there is to it!!!
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/13/17 07:17 PM

I use the method where I step onto the truck tire, into the truck bed, onto the already-lowered tailgate, and then onto the trailer tongue so I can reach the strap hook. For safety, I bought a 24" length of peel and stick gridded safety rubber at Walmart, and cut it to fit the width of the tongue. This makes footing a lot more stable if you need to step onto the trailer tongue.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/18/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: tin man 55
are people being serious about just letting your boat slide off and float away, and then have someone take you to it?

I use the 50 foot rope and let it slide off, then pull it over to the side. almost as fast as having 2 people. sorry if you're behind me on the ramp and I take a minute or 2 longer; maybe you should have arrived a little earlier.

You have obviously never launched on a west TX lake. Standard procedure
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/18/17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
it doesnt really matter what you do ---i understand when someone is alone and i will be patient --AS LONG AS YOU TURN YOUR HEADLIGHTS OFF WHEN YOU BACK DOWN THE RAMP !

I always turn mine off but I also have 2 amber lights on my 2012 Tacoma you simply can't turn off according to the manual.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/21/17 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: DWC55
I have a fifty foot rope in my boat. If there is a courtesy dock beside the ramp I tie the rope to the cleat on front of my boat on the side towards the dock and back boat off trailer just like someone was in it. Let boat float back until you can pull trailer out without hanging rope ( have done this a time or two) and go park your truck. All there is to it!!!
This

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/22/17 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Hard Rain
Originally Posted By: kevine80

I always turn mine off but I also have 2 amber lights on my 2012 Tacoma you simply can't turn off according to the manual.

Have you tried engaging the emergency brake one click? That will turn off the lights on many trucks but applies no pressure to the brakes themselves.
Posted By: munawar

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/22/17 03:29 PM

So what do you all do when you're solo and there are not courtesy docks to tie the boat to?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/22/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: munawar
So what do you all do when you're solo and there are not courtesy docks to tie the boat to?

Stay Home
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/23/17 01:54 AM

beach it near the ramp, engage the talons, get out and park the truck, get back in the boat and go fish.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/23/17 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: plk1122
where did you get the battery jumper from, walmart? academy? what brand?

Any of these. I have one I have jumped three vehicles before recharging. It also serves as a charger for my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=battery+jumper+starter&sprefix=battery+jump%2Caps%2C181&crid=35FQZ08T7FU62
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/24/17 02:43 AM

Best way to avoid wet feet or the need for boots. Getting a little to old for climbing the tire and swinging around to the bumper.

Posted By: Fisherman110

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/27/17 01:59 AM

Go to an open ramp and try both to see what's easier.
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 08/29/17 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
I back in till the boat is floating, then board the boat (Step from tailgate to trailer, trailer to boat). I leave a fair amount of slack in the winch strap, but don't unhook it until both feet are in the boat.

It only takes one time of watching your boat drift away to learn that!

^^ That is exactly what I do. ^^ Get in and back it off the trailer.
Posted By: cbob

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 09/05/17 01:34 AM

I have a rope with a loop in it. The rope is attached to my bow. I put the loop over the bar that my winch is attached to. The rope is long enough to back the boat in and clear the trailer. I back down, let it float out til it is at the end of the rope and slowly pull forward until the trailer is out of the water, grab the rope from the trailer and pull the boat to the bank. Go park, jump in and go.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 09/05/17 11:28 PM

You've gotten plenty of advise on methods to use. The thing is, just act like you have your caca together and get it done as efficiently as possible. If anyone has any snide remarks at the ramp about it then, there wouldn't be any making them happy anyway. I fish by myself quite a bit, and most mistakes happen when someone else is helping me. When left alone to do my thing it's all just habit. It takes time, but you'll get your routine down.
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 09/06/17 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
You will develop a routine when you launch and recover the boat alone. It will work well. Then one day a well-meaning companion will attempt to assist you. You will overlook one or more procedures because your routine was broken.

I used to leave the winch strap hooked up and back it in until it floated. Unhook the winch strap and back it off the trailer. You will quickly learn how far to back in on recovery; drive up on the trailer with the bunks high enough to center the hull (many ramps prohibit power loading) and hook up the winch strap, then pull it and tie it down out of the way in the parking lot.

Yes sir! it is all about that routine. People mean well when they ask if they can help, but I do ask them to give me room.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/05/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: pchapin
Best way to avoid wet feet or the need for boots. Getting a little to old for climbing the tire and swinging around to the bumper

I hear ya - same here. Newer trucks make if even harder due to taller tires, etc.

For shallow ramps where I have to back further out to float the boat off the bunks I've climbed over the side into truck bed using a tire step similar to the one below for years. Then out the back onto front of trailer and up into boat. Reverse for loading.

https://www.otctools.com/products/light-truck-wheel-step

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/06/17 06:29 AM

UPDATE

So far I have been climbing in the boat while on the trailer, backing it off and tieing it to the dock. At the beginning this technique felt a little awkward but I am getting use to it. I still am not good at docking the boat. Most of the time i feel i am going to fast for the dock so i put it in reverse and actually stop well short of the dock. I do think this takes a longer time than pulling it to shore but o well. I still am having some trouble getting the boat on the trailer. Most of the time bow and bunks are lined it up right (parallel) and i have to go at it again. I am not sure why this is happening. I'm wondering if my bunk boards are off a little and need to be adjust to line up better.

I still get wet a little. I tend to get in the water and push the boat off the bunks a little then climb on in from the trailer. It is quiet a step and am only able to do it since i'm relatively young.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/06/17 06:48 AM

Practice is your friend. Dont rush, and dont take unnecessay risks. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/06/17 08:23 AM

I had same problem put hitch on that made boat level when being pulled instead of being inclined.It made the difference for me maybe it helps maybe not.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/06/17 12:01 PM

Easy, unhook, back off and float boat out into lake, park truck, ask for ride to boat, and then go fishing. Don't make it to hard.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/06/17 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Easy, unhook, back off and float boat out into lake, park truck, ask for ride to boat, and then go fishing. Don't make it to hard.

Someone said this before and I can't tell if they are serious or not. I just don't understand why anyone would do this. I suppose it's to get off the ramp quickly, but then you're still inconveniencing others by getting them to take you out to your boat. And the risk...doesn't take much of a wind to carry a boat off onto the rocks. No way I'm risking my boat just because some chachi doesn't have to wait for me to park my truck.
Posted By: DWC55

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/06/17 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DWC55
I have a fifty foot rope in my boat. If there is a courtesy dock beside the ramp I tie the rope to the cleat on front of my boat on the side towards the dock, tie rope to dock and back boat off trailer just like someone was in it. Let boat float back until you can pull trailer out without hanging rope ( have done this a time or two) and go park your truck. All there is to it!!!
Posted By: txshotgun

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/07/17 01:16 PM

I've found my own method. Works for me! I wait by the ramp and when a guy unloads his boat and heads for the parking area I get in the boat and go fish. It's a bit tricky having to learn how a new rod casts but hey, if I get a bird's nest tangle I just get another rod out of his box.
And with my method there's no issues with loading. I just leave it at the ramp dock and go home.
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/09/17 09:40 PM

depends on the ramp setup and the traffic

If I had my way and there is a courtesy dock next (right next) to ramp, I would ready everything but winch hook, back in until lower unit was submerged, hop in from the tailgate to the spare tire to the bow and then go make sure she starts. Then hop back, take a rope from bow cleat and lay on ramp next to truck, back up until pressure of winch, slack the strap and unhooked, back to truck to back boat up and float her off just in time to go grab the rope, tie it off and go park.

Otherwise have to drive it around to courtesy --- I do not fish too many places with decent areas to beach by ramp. Belton and maybe a couple of East Texas lakes . . . maybe a ramp or two at Grapevine.
Posted By: CWCW

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/18/17 06:23 PM

i probably do it weird but it works for me because i am by myself 95% of the time.
1.Take off rear straps, leave front hook attached
2.back boat down until rearend floats freely
3. step on rear tire of truck and climb into bed of truck so shoes dont get wet.
4. open tailgate and walk on tailgate and step over trolling motor to stand on front deck of boat.
5. start boat motor
6. kneel at front of boat, unwind crank to put slack in front strap, unhook from front
7. beach boat if no dock, if dock available tie up to dock

with a dock, i will hook up my pre-made ropes and have them in place for quick hook up to dock before i back boat down ramp. I have two ropes with a carabiner at each end. Each rope is made to hook to front and and rear cleats on driver side of boat. The free ends of the rope extend down the sides of the boat and lay right next to each other at the driver seat, that way i can clip them to a hook or post on the dock easily without getting up from driver seat.
Everyone has their own way but after a few attempts by myself i figured out the best way for me.

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/19/17 03:59 AM

A lot of people worried about wet feet in here. I just wear Croc style shoes and walk onto the ramp, unhook, step on trailer and into the boat. Unless it's winter time a little water isn't going to hurt me.
Posted By: CWCW

Re: Launching Boat by yourself - 10/19/17 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
A lot of people worried about wet feet in here. I just wear Croc style shoes and walk onto the ramp, unhook, step on trailer and into the boat. Unless it's winter time a little water isn't going to hurt me.

Lol a lot of people are worried about wet feet because a lot of people wear athletic type shoes (tennis shoes) with socks and don't want wet shoes and socks all day and im in that group of people. Personally i think crocs look weird so i dont own any and if i have flip flops on and have to get out of boat and into water and step in mud they will disappear into the mud. Then im stuck in mud without shoes and hope i dont step down on someones lost treble hook. Its not a phobia of water for me.

Example: i have had to push my boat off of a sand bar that my boat drifted into while on Lake Granbury back when the lake was super low during a drought and i was no where near the shore but water was very shallow. Boat bottom sucked down on the sand and i was stuck. Had to step out of boat into water where i was 100 yards from shoreline standing in less than 2 ft of water and pushed the boat off of the sand bar. I had no worries of stepping on someones lost tackle cause i had athletic shoes on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum