Texas Fishing Forum

Worms for bait

Posted By: Ludie

Worms for bait - 07/09/17 07:42 PM

Hello all,
I live in the Trinity area and have big worms, probably night crawlers, under things when wet.
I would like to use them for bait, but they are so brittle that they break apart when I try to put them on a hook.
Anybody know of a way to toughen them up???
Posted By: Ludie

Re: Worms for bait - 07/09/17 07:43 PM

Larry
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Worms for bait - 07/10/17 02:36 AM

When I was a kid living in North Iowa I only fished with "nightcrawlers," big ones. I don't remember them ever being brittle.
They are like rubber, therefore, hooking them was no problem.
From what I recall, the only time they break apart is if you purposely "pull" on them, thereby stretching them to break.

The skinny Texas worms, now that another story. I've never used them, but I'd assume they stretch as well.

I guess I cannot help you with regards to "toughening" them up. I'd say to refrigerate them, but that actually might make them more brittle.

...------
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Worms for bait - 07/10/17 03:18 AM

Those northern night crawlers are awesome to fish with.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Worms for bait - 07/10/17 04:01 AM

You might try smaller wire hooks
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Worms for bait - 07/10/17 09:07 AM

Those are not Canadian nightcrawlers.
I don't know the scientific name but they are ordinary common garden worms.
I tried fishing with them but they are just not worth fooling with.
The problem with these worms is that when you puncture them with a hook all the liquid comes out and not much is left.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Worms for bait - 07/10/17 11:46 AM

Pack the rain soaked red wigglers and/or night crawlers in DRY peat moss for travel a day or two head of time, a cloth bag works better than a box. Keep them at room temp, inside. For fatter worms, feed then worm chow or chicken scratch for several days prior to harvest.

Good fishing to ya!

Worm Whisperer...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum