Texas Fishing Forum

Lithium boat batteries.

Posted By: furpfish

Lithium boat batteries. - 03/02/17 04:13 PM

Anyone using them.sounds like a good thing. I wonder if they will burst into flames like the iPhone's?
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/02/17 07:36 PM

I have a friend that uses them. He has had them almost a year. So far so good that I know of.
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/02/17 07:45 PM

If your talking about jell batteries I have had great luck with them They last a long time
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/02/17 08:26 PM

Every boat should have at least 4 of them since they are so light weight.
http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/products/product/12v-100ah-lithium-ion-battery.php
NASCAR uses them since they hold a charge so much longer.
If anybody want so loan me a couple I will gladly field test them.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/02/17 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: furpfish
Anyone using them.sounds like a good thing. I wonder if they will burst into flames like the iPhone's?

Samsung phones, not Iphones. Just sayin
Posted By: Ranger1960

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/02/17 10:07 PM

I have 4 on my boat. Had them for 3 years . No problems. Have never ran them down.
Posted By: dr.juice

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/03/17 01:11 PM

Going on seven years with mine and still awesome. Have them in a collectable porsche, have one as a portable backup because they are so light and in 5 other cars.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/03/17 03:36 PM

until the price comes down they wont be feasible for most boat owners.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/03/17 04:35 PM

I assume they are way lighter than lead acid batteries too. have not seen the price on em
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/03/17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: jippedgenes
I assume they are way lighter than lead acid batteries too. have not seen the price on em

PRICE $1,299.99 $1,499.99 +ADD TO
WISHLIST
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/03/17 08:44 PM

Huckleberry, what price are you quoting there? For a set of 4?

And I have them in my boat for trolling motor plus one in my pond boat for the trolling motor......awesome service out of them with no complaints so far
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/03/17 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: steve hummert
Huckleberry, what price are you quoting there? For a set of 4?

And I have them in my boat for trolling motor plus one in my pond boat for the trolling motor......awesome service out of them with no complaints so far

It's a link in the 4th post on this thread. That is for one.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/04/17 03:02 AM

Thanks, I missed that.

I paid way less than that for what I have ......am remembering under $400 per battery

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/04/17 02:31 PM

Thanks, I missed that.

I paid way less than that for what I have ......am remembering under $400 per battery

The higher the AH rating the more they cost. 100AH batteries are going to be expensive but they will hold power all day and then some.
Lithium poly or Li-Po batteries are even lighter and more powerful than Lithium ion but they must be regulated for the desired voltage output and can be dangerous. Li-Po batteries are used in some UAV's by the military and can power a UAV for many hours of flight.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/04/17 03:49 PM

Water and lithium don't get along at all; the result is highly undesirable and will likely require a new boat, and maybe even the building where a boat was stored. There are issues with "things going wrong" at a higher rate than other mature technologies. Many of those can result in excessive heat resulting in fire. Using this technology is a balance of risk & need. Drones wouldn't do so well with heavy batteries, so less option; not so with a bass boat.

Good idea, but still too many drawbacks at this point. I'm a technology guy, and I wouldn't put them in my boat if offered a FREE set.

There is a similar technology in development now that appears to be much safer. I'll be waiting on that one.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/04/17 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Water and lithium don't get along at all; the result is highly undesirable and will likely require a new boat, and maybe even the building where a boat was stored. There are issues with "things going wrong" at a higher rate than other mature technologies. Many of those can result in excessive heat resulting in fire. Using this technology is a balance of risk & need. Drones wouldn't do so well with heavy batteries, so less option; not so with a bass boat.

Good idea, but still too many drawbacks at this point. I'm a technology guy, and I wouldn't put them in my boat if offered a FREE set.

There is a similar technology in development now that appears to be much safer. I'll be waiting on that one.

Good info. you probably recall the issues with the lithium ion batteries and the 777 jet liners. the whole fleet was grounded due to failure of the batteries. In for the new technology
Posted By: CDubSmith2

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/05/17 06:58 PM

Galenfeha makes these battery's. We use them for solar site installations. They have a bass pro that uses them in his rig as well. 12,24, or 36VDC setups. The cost is high but he battery is guaranteed and warranted for 10 years. A 12VDC 110aH battery weighs roughly 15#'s. I've had zero issue using these. They can also have GPS detection installed in them for theft management.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/06/17 01:56 PM

Thanks, I missed that.

Yours might be agm, lithiums are always over $1k each.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/06/17 02:43 PM

Not AGM, they are Lithium
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/06/17 06:37 PM

I'm sure there are many that would be very interested at that price. Need details?

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/07/17 12:11 AM

Yours might be agm, lithiums are always over $1k each. [/quote]

Mine were not 1k apiece. More like 700 and no problems in seven years
Posted By: whybass

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/07/17 12:18 AM

400 for lithium i want to know were i would get three for that price

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/07/17 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: whybass

No chit, me too.
Posted By: Gthol

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/07/17 04:01 AM

I have used both gel and lithium batteries. Much better luck with sealed gel batteries
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/07/17 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Gthol
I have used both gel and lithium batteries. Much better luck with sealed gel batteries
If you are talking about Optima batteries they are not gel filled.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/07/17 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: whybass

No chit, me too.

Same here, I know a few guys that have them and spent well over a grand. I think there is some confusion on here.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/07/17 12:42 PM

Thanks, I missed that.

Dewalt 18v and 20 v lithium are almost $150 each

Where can you find car/boat batteries that are lithium that cheap? I want some

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/08/17 03:12 AM

Out with it, show us where to get a cheap lithium! taz
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/09/17 02:27 AM

AGM batteries work well for me.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/10/17 01:06 AM

$400 12v marine lithium batteries? There's a reason he has not responded back. :-)
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/10/17 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
$400 12v marine lithium batteries? There's a reason he has not responded back. :-)

roflmao

This.

He was either trolling (no pun intended) or he was calling his dealer and chewing him out for lying about selling him "lithium" batteries. lmao
Posted By: flew

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/30/17 11:57 AM

In these days, lithium batteries are used in bikes, ships, hoverboard, toys.

There are lots of problems with the lithium-ion batteries.

1.explosion due to overcharging
2.charging issue
3.price

Manufacturer uses this batteries due to its low price.

hoverboard price reduces with the use of lithium batteries.

lithium batteries are compact in size and require less space to install.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 03/31/17 04:09 PM

I don't think that AGM are "gel" batteries. AGM means Alternate Glass Matt. The plates inside the battery are different. Much closer together and have fiberglass between them. Don't quote me on that.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 04/04/17 12:33 AM

AGM= absorbed glass mat

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 04/04/17 01:39 AM

Did we ever get a link to the cheap lithiums?
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 04/05/17 11:48 PM

Hell no!!!! That got dropped like a used rubber when they figured out their batteries weren't Lithium!

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 04/06/17 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite

Hell no!!!! That got dropped like a used rubber when they figured out their batteries weren't Lithium!

roflmao

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 04/17/17 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite

roflmao

roflmao

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 04/17/17 03:34 PM

I would expect to see Lithium Sulfur batteries to start showing up in the market this year as a cheaper solution.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/01/17 12:31 PM

Did anyone find Lithium batteries cheap?
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/01/17 01:35 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Superfish

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/03/17 01:45 AM

As a guy who tests batteries and battery systems at data centers and black start power plants - here is the scoop on batteries: If you maintain them well, use them sparingly and keep them stored at 70F year round - they will last 48mo max, in reality a car, boat or marine battery will give you 36mos on average assuming you keep water on them, float them and equalize them or have a good charger that does all that. 2 years will use about 75% and the final year will leave you hanging. AGM, Flooded Lead Acid and even Lithium about the same.

If anyone ever invented a battery that could last for 20 years there is a 1 billion dollar government check waiting

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/03/17 01:48 PM

Nascar has been using Lithium batteries for years now in their race cars. 2 batteries only weigh about 35 lbs. These engines are hard on charging systems and many times they have to rely on the batteries to get them thru to the end. They have 2 lithiums and a dash switch to change over to a fresh battery should the alternator fail. Happens a lot on JR's No 88 car it seems. NASCAR states that typically they can expect 10 year life from these batteries if everything goes good. http://crateinsider.com/go-lithium-introduces-new-16-volt-lithium-battery-for-race-cars/
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/03/17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: dr.juice

Mine were not 1k apiece. More like 700 and no problems in seven years

IF they last 10 more years you will break even or perhaps be a little ahead. Let us know how it turns out.
Posted By: Tjbev13

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/12/17 06:20 PM

They are EXPENSIVE!

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/15/17 12:53 AM

Not true. Lithiums will last 8-10 years. They're also warranties for this long in some cases, I own some. 4 years on a 12VDC system and zero issues so far.

The key to a battery is regulation and discharge. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/15/17 12:55 AM

I paid $900 for a 12V 110 aH battery, complete with a built in charge regulator and low volt disconnect. After 2 years it paid for itself!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/15/17 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Superfish
As a guy who tests batteries and battery systems at data centers and black start power plants - here is the scoop on batteries: If you maintain them well, use them sparingly and keep them stored at 70F year round - they will last 48mo max, in reality a car, boat or marine battery will give you 36mos on average assuming you keep water on them, float them and equalize them or have a good charger that does all that. 2 years will use about 75% and the final year will leave you hanging. AGM, Flooded Lead Acid and even Lithium about the same.

If anyone ever invented a battery that could last for 20 years there is a 1 billion dollar government check waiting

I've had plenty of batteries go over the 48 mo timeline. My last set of everstarts I replace was going on over 5.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/15/17 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Nascar has been using Lithium batteries for years now in their race cars. 2 batteries only weigh about 35 lbs. These engines are hard on charging systems and many times they have to rely on the batteries to get them thru to the end. They have 2 lithiums and a dash switch to change over to a fresh battery should the alternator fail. Happens a lot on JR's No 88 car it seems. NASCAR states that typically they can expect 10 year life from these batteries if everything goes good. http://crateinsider.com/go-lithium-introduces-new-16-volt-lithium-battery-for-race-cars/

Don't believe people that get paid to say stuff. NASCAR is hurting so bad they would tell you your $#!t doesn't stink for little to no money.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/15/17 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Cwaynesmith2
I paid $900 for a 12V 110 aH battery, complete with a built in charge regulator and low volt disconnect. After 2 years it paid for itself!

So you burn up a $450 battery a year? Your buying the wrong batteries

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/19/17 01:52 PM

Sometime next year I believe the current lithium's will be out of date. How much cheaper is the question.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/19/17 02:16 PM

Next generation may be Li-Po Only 28 lbs for a 100ah 12v
http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-pris...3-2vx4-dgr.aspx

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/19/17 02:37 PM

Muzzle, the weight on those is a lot. 60lbs per battery ain't saving me that much weight.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/20/17 07:49 PM

No, we use up 2 - 70ah gel cells every 2-3 years, plus the cost one time cost of a LVD and solar regulator, depending on weather patterns which have sucked for solar sites the last 2 years.

Gel batteries only come with a 1 year warranty and fluctuate considerably on price. I've paid anywhere from $200-$262 each in the last 2 years. If the pocket is deep enough to withstand the initial cost, lithium is the way to go.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/21/17 06:28 PM

I've been interested in lithium but with the cost of the batteries, new expensive chargers and the issues with fires. I'm going to wait and see.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/22/17 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Cwaynesmith2
No, we use up 2 - 70ah gel cells every 2-3 years, plus the cost one time cost of a LVD and solar regulator, depending on weather patterns which have sucked for solar sites the last 2 years.

Gel batteries only come with a 1 year warranty and fluctuate considerably on price. I've paid anywhere from $200-$262 each in the last 2 years. If the pocket is deep enough to withstand the initial cost, lithium is the way to go.

Well, I will just be honest. I don't know what the lvd and all that runs or what your using it for. So I really don't know what they cost but it would have to be a lot to make up the difference. Not saying you made the wrong decision. If it works for you then that's all that matters. That's what everybody has to look at and weigh the decision on.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 06/22/17 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: texasbass1
I've been interested in lithium but with the cost of the batteries, new expensive chargers and the issues with fires. I'm going to wait and see.

Lithium ion is fine. It's the Lithium Polymer that are potentially dangerous. Li-po batteries have to be regulated and wired correctly and if the regulator is not sized correctly or regulator malfunction happens a dangerous fire can erupt.
Li-po are the lightest weight of all batteries and are what is used in electric powered UAV's, RC Aircraft etc.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 07/09/18 12:05 PM

Waiting for your link?
Posted By: Mo

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 07/12/18 07:45 PM

I think you will waiting this time next year , also. smile

MO
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/03/18 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Superfish

I will respectfully disagree about AGM lifespan. It's all about the specific application and charging.

I am in the battery business and have hundreds of applications with 10-12 year battery life using AGM's. In general, 7-9 years is common and quality manufacturers have a 5-7 year warranty. I have been selling around 2,000 batteries every year for the last 10 years for industrial equipment, marine, RV and off grid solar applications.

All batteries are not equal, unless you are buying from the low bidder......

Marc

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/03/18 01:23 PM

yawn I think I might die from old age before we get the brand of these guaranteed lithium $400 batteries.
Posted By: pacertom

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/03/18 01:57 PM

yawn I think I might die from old age before we get the brand of these guaranteed lithium $400 batteries.

Ha...I think everyone wants a link. I PM'd him just in case it wasn't on his radar.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/03/18 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: CDubSmith2

Lithium has some very distinct advantages, but they are hard to justify economically unless weight is critical. There are true deep cycle AGM's with a seven year warranty on solar applications. An 85ah with a 7 year warranty costs around $225. last I checked.

As a battery application specialist, I have to say that if you are only getting 2-3 years from a decent quality battery - you need to review your design. Solar app's should run 6-8 years in our climate. Much longer (like 8-10 years) in colder climate areas.

Marc

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/05/18 04:50 PM

Thanks to Pacertom for letting me know you guys were all worked over my well being roflmao I posted on this thread and then moved on, didn't know anyone was asking a question about what I posted.

They were purchased from K2 Energy Solutions. Their website is K2battery.com

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/05/18 06:41 PM

The K2's are the best of breed, with a solid history of deployment from bass boats to military. It's the only one that I would put in my boat - if I could afford them.
Posted By: Boomerbrewer

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/06/18 03:07 PM

There is another way to go with lithium if you don`t mind a little construction work. I built a set of lithium iron phosphate batteries for my 36v trolling motor from 240 individual cells for about $300. I got the cells on the surplus market. I keep them in pelican type cases. They are just over 105 Amp-hours at 40 volts(12s). Under the full load of the trolling motor (terrova 112lb) they stay at 38 Volt. Lithium iron phosphates are a better voltage match for lead acid systems than lithium ion, and they are much safer to boot.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/06/18 09:18 PM

Thanks to Pacertom for letting me know you guys were all worked over my well being roflmao I posted on this thread and then moved on, didn't know anyone was asking a question about what I posted.

They were purchased from K2 Energy Solutions. Their website is K2battery.com

Apparently you work for them or have a friend that sells them to you at cost, because the cheapest 12v tm battery I found there was $795 and that was a small one.

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/07/18 03:02 AM

My only connection to them is that I ordered some of their batteries in 2015. I was introduced to them by another member on here that year, made contact, ordered (6) batteries, 3 for myself and 3 for a friend, and paid a total of approx. $2,400.00 plus some freight.

For the record, the batteries today are a larger AH than the ones they first came out with so you are seeing a resulting increase in the cost. I believe the ones they offer today for 24 volt trolling motors are a 55.5 AH (approx. $800) and a 111 AH (approx. $1200) both of which cost more than the ones I bought in 2015.

The ones I bought served my needs and I have no complaints.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/08/18 11:36 AM

Lithium lifetime battery.
20000 cycles. Ten times longer life than a lifepo4. Can be charged and discharged in under 10 minutes without harm. Operates from -32 to 55C.
No fire risk. Not quite as light as lifepo4 but light. Established performance since they've been around for 10 years.
In marine applications you don't need to monitor the cells.

I am playing with some used batteries out of a car. A 28v battery with around 75ah and around 65 pounds for both batteries.
Posted By: Boomerbrewer

Re: Lithium boat batteries. - 08/08/18 05:21 PM

For anyone wanting a 36v system that does not mind a little DIY check out these navy surplus LIFEPO4 modules on ebay. (I am not the seller, but they have a good rep.) If I did not already have lithiums I would probably go this route. Your could just parallel these to what ever amp-hour rating you want. 600 bucks for 4 modules 50-60AH is pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-40V-18-4AH-736WH-LITHIUM-LIFEPO4-96-A123-26650-POWERWALL-DIY-EV-BATTERY/173304996422?epid=3017651593&hash=item2859c86246%3Ag%3ASA0AAOSwVHdaxluI%3Asc%3AFedExHomeDelivery%2176502%21US%21-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=surplus+lifepo4+40&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum